Mn Grouse Numbers

• suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Are about the same as last year. The drumming count increase did not equate to an increase in the woods of Northern Mn.
    I was out again this weekend north of Grand Rapids and saw few birds. The two of us ended up with 5.
    I just read the Ruffed Grouse Society’s annual hunt up there resulted in the same number of Grouse as last year.
    I was very surprised at the number of hunters. I always hunt that area early season but decided to take two trips this year. More Grouse hunters than I have ever seen. Our area got so crowded we ventured into new territory which is a good thing. Scored a couple by changing tactics. Saw very few deer or sign up there. I cant imagine deer season being that much this year up there.
    As always, great accommodations, service and food at “The Hill” in Squaw Lake.

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I was able to get out Sunday afternoon again. Hunting an area on the border of Aitkin/Carlton Co. Managed three. Seems at least there’s huntable numbers. You also generally hear one roaming around while you’re on the bowstand.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My coworker just reported 17 flushes from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning. He said he spent about 11 hours total in the woods over the 3 days. He is hunting a little north of Mille Lacs.

super_do
    Participant
    St Michael, MN

MEA this weekend?

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I was able to get out Sunday afternoon again. Hunting an area on the border of Aitkin/Carlton Co. Managed three. Seems at least there’s huntable numbers. You also generally hear one roaming around while you’re on the bowstand.

Yup. Huntable numbers. No guarantee you get to eat them every trip but I have lucked out with one here and there. I will always hunt them but sure look forward to a banner few years. Hopefully they cycle up to what we have seen in the past again. All it takes is the right combination of events.
    I was just saying to my buddy last weekend I dont know how many more cycles I will see in my life!!

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I was up in northern WI by Spooner and we ran into a few grouse while checking out the deer stands. Hope to chase the ones we saw before gun deer season starts.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I hope to get out this weekend around McGregor.

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I hope to get out this weekend around McGregor.

Have you ever tried that Grayling WMA? I guess it was a town at one time. We have family property in the Tamarack/Wright area. Driven by it many times but never hunted it.

deertracker
    Participant

Not sure about the grouse numbers, but the woodcock are everywhere in nw MN. Every evening while we deer hunting I saw numerous flying around. Just about.took a big old beek to the head while in the bow stand.
    DT

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

Have you ever tried that Grayling WMA? I guess it was a town at one time. We have family property in the Tamarack/Wright area. Driven by it many times but never hunted it.

I have tried several times late season but like a few of the other large tracts around town they get hit pretty hard. I usually hit smaller harder to reach spots.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Was out last weekend in east central MN and there were woodcock walking down the trails everywhere. Any spot where the ground was squishing under our feet had birds.

I didn’t see any of the super-jumbo migrants, but IMO the northern birds have started to migrate.

May have to take the shotgun out this weekend if there’s time.

Grouse

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

It seemed like the flight had gone through were we were last weekend. Only saw a couple over 3 days. None in the swamps or evening heading back to camp.

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

Grouse have been pretty good up here this year. I’ll go for a short walk after work for up to an hour and get one or two each time. We have been seeing a lot more hunters up here too, which means more time spent picking up garbage than picking up birds for me.

Chris Raymond
    Participant
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Suzuki–A good friend of mine was at the RGS hunt and did very well in your neck of the woods. He would want me to say thank you I’m sure. ;-) Seriously though, he was amazed at the amount of cover/spots that you had in that area and how grouse seemingly gravitate to the best of the best within that cover. He said it was a bit different than hunting in the Northern Lower Peninsula of MI and is looking forward to getting back to MN in the future.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Suzuki–A good friend of mine was at the RGS hunt and did very well in your neck of the woods. He would want me to say thank you I’m sure. ;-) Seriously though, he was amazed at the amount of cover/spots that you had in that area and how grouse seemingly gravitate to the best of the best within that cover. He said it was a bit different than hunting in the Northern Lower Peninsula of MI and is looking forward to getting back to MN in the future.

That’s why I go there every year. Best in the world in my opinion. But getting smaller every year because of increased traffic and familiarity. I may have to shift more towards week days in the future. I cant wait for a mega peak cycle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.