Minnesota Resident/tax?

• francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

Hello,

After 38 years, both of my parents are finally going to retire at the end of this month. They plan on keeping a home in Minnesota for the time being. They plan on purchasing a winter haven some place south. The last two winters have literally been too brutal for them. I am wondering if there is a limited number of days they would be allowed to “stay” in Minnesota without having to pay State Income Tax. Or are there a minimum number of days they have to live outside of the state of Minnesota per year before they have to pay MN Income Tax?

Thanks for any insight!

FDR

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

According to my in-laws who winter in FL and have become FL residents for tax purposes, this is watched VERY closely. Check with a tax professional to be sure but I believe it is 6 months, probably even down to the (365 X .5) day.

They save all plane tickets and other proof of travel between locations to be able to prove residency in FL.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

According to my in-laws who winter in FL and have become FL residents for tax purposes, this is watched VERY closely. Check with a tax professional to be sure but I believe it is 6 months, probably even down to the (365 X .5) day.

They save all plane tickets and other proof of travel between locations to be able to prove residency in FL.

Spot on! 6 months & 1 day in Florida. I’ve built a lot of homes for the snowbirds and had this conversation numerous times. Sames goes for having Nevada as your home.

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

This includes trips home for Holidays, birthdays, funerals, weddings, etc. So If they are in FL for the winter but come home two weeks for Christmas, and then a week in February for a funeral, that will be three weeks they’ll need to ‘make up’ in FL.

Also note that taxes are obviously based on calendar year, not winter season. So time from Jan – April for example will need to be combined with time that same year from Oct – Dec to reach the 6 months plus.

rmartin
    Participant
    United States

It is my understanding that you need to spend 183 complete days out of the state. Even partial days count as a whole day in MN. If you maintain a residence in MN that has cooking and bathing facilities and spend 0-182 days there, you are considered a part year resident for tax purposes if the above condition is also met. Not sure how taxes are computed in such cases.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I found last winter brutal also….:)

desperado
    Participant

Welcome to Minnesota … Pay Up or Stay Out

Attachments:
    1. snowman-stick-up.jpg

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Wish we moved a couple months and a day earlier.

But hey, you don’t have toll roads….yet. Thankfully I live by I-4 and can avoid them most of the time.

francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

This includes trips home for Holidays, birthdays, funerals, weddings, etc. So If they are in FL for the winter but come home two weeks for Christmas, and then a week in February for a funeral, that will be three weeks they’ll need to ‘make up’ in FL.

For discussion sake, let’s assume they pick Nevada as their Winter home. What if during the “winter season” they take a road trip to visit friends in Texas for two weeks. Do they have to make that time up in Nevada?

Thanks,

FDR

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

IMO, No but again check with a pro!

The issue is between their two homes. Where did you spend the majority of time. It could be argued they could visit Texas from MN too so I’d have them establish some time in Nevada before this trip to Texas.

I would not have them go from MN to Texas to Nevada.

ET

jd318
    Participant
    NE Nebraska

Just an FYI, although the time spent at each home is probably the most influential factor, some other things that could help in establishing their tax home are things like: where are vehicles licenses, where are they registered to vote, do they have mail and telephone service at the other home, etc, etc.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

One things for sure, Minnesota will try and milk you for what they can. Got to build more trains you know.

desperado
    Participant

Got to build more trains you know.

… and stadiums … and senate office buildings … and artsy fartsy stop signs

Attachments:
    1. flower-stop.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.