mandatory ebola quarantine

• puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

should there be a mandatory quarantine for people coming from effected areas in Africa??? watching the morning news, there was poll that showed 94% in favor. working in a field that I could be exposed, I think it is not asking too much for somebody that was there and could have been exposed to go through the quarantine process so ebola does not become a epidemic here in the US

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Interesting that somebody who works in the medical field is the first to complain after returning from Africa and it is all over the news, yet a few others in the same field who were jet setting around the country and not being all that responsible after treating someone with Ebola are given a free pass.

Still waiting for our ” Federal Government’s ” solution to keeping this contained though, which apparently is not coming any time soon ( maybe after the election ), hence why a few states decided to actually do some thing versus NOTHING. I fall into the do something category myself.

puddlepounder

Interesting that somebody who works in the medical field is the first to complain after returning from Africa and it is all over the news, yet a few others in the same field who were jet setting around the country and not being all that responsible after treating someone with Ebola are given a free pass.

Still waiting for our ” Federal Government’s ” solution to keeping this contained though, which apparently is not coming any time soon ( maybe after the election ), hence why a few states decided to actually do some thing versus NOTHING. I fall into the do something category myself.

are you in favor of a mandatory quarantine???

Paulski

I fall into the do something category myself…..

Yes, unless somebody has some better idea I am not aware of.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Maybe we could issue stickers (Similar to AIS) for those traveling back from infected areas; indicating they’ve agreed to not transport ebola?

)

Paulski

Maybe we could issue stickers (Similar to AIS) for those traveling back from infected areas; indicating they’ve agreed to not transport ebola?

)

I like it.

Maybe a giant red badge with the bio hazard symbol on it …. That would sure make it easy to move around the airport I am sure

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I know the perfect sticker…

Attachments:
    1. mr-yuk.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The policy of Laissez faire self monitoring didn’t work. At least one of the infected people, the doctor, was very unconcerned about his symptoms and went out using public transportation and public areas. He should have quarentined himself when he started feeling lethargic and got a fever.

And an inept CDC hasn’t handled it very well. Look at the nurse who went back to Cleveland. She was responsible, having concerns about flying, she asked for permission to fly with a 99 fever. They said it was ok.

I’m kind of on the fence. Much like AIS, I think there are enough people who are self centered and/or irresponsible that something has to be done. If they, like other boaters, were only harming themselves, I wouldn’t care.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m on the fence about this one. If a quarantine could be guaranteed to work, then yes. But I’m worried that this could create a false sense of security.

What I’m wary about is that if you have a mandatory quarantine, then people are going to be motivated to try to dodge it. And those are going to be EXACTLY the people who we REALLY want to monitor.

Add on top of that the fact that there are no direct-to-USA flights from the infected countries in Africa. So it’s very difficult to know a traveler’s country of origin when so many pass through Europe, Asia, or South America on the way, with separate tickets, and with days in transit. Now if we give them an incentive to lie to avoid quarantine, is it really going to cut the overall risk?

I partially agree with Pug about the CDC’s reaction being slow and confused, but also there’s a personal responsibility issue here that I have a problem with.

So that nurse treats an ebola patient, then has a fever, but she still thinks it’s OK to get on a plane because some clerk at the CDC said it’s fine? WTF??? Where did she get her nurses license, off of a box of Cracker Jacks or what? Regardless of who told her what was ok, as a healthcare professional she dang well should have known it’s NOT ok because of her risk factors. What a crock.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I partially agree with Pug about the CDC’s reaction being slow and confused, but also there’s a personal responsibility issue here that I have a problem with.

That was my point too that there is a problem with personal responsibility. From my understanding she contacted them several times, but sure, maybe she was just looking for someone to OK it to take the responsibility off herself. I think she wanted to get back to Cleveland for a wedding rehearsal or something?

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

The organization that’s going to kill this idea is Doctor Without Borders. They are already raising a big stink over this. Most of the doctors go to Africa on one month missions and it’s all volunteered time. They say they already miss a month of work and now they will miss 3 more weeks and it’s unfair to them. The rub is, the shortage of western doctors in Africa will lead to a longer and worse outbreak. So I think they will use their pull to get out of the quarantine. The one doctor they had in NJ is already out of quarantine and self monitoring. It simply not going to happen.

My take: Yes, if you are going to do time over there just figure in the 3 weeks more. If you are strictly doing it for the “good of mankind” then what’s another 3 weeks? Like others have mentioned, the people that have been infected haven’t used very good judgement so far.

wkw

The CDC only needs to look to the livestock industry for a solution,
    When an outbreak of anything occurs,( TB, Brucellosis, etc.),they test, ID, and track every animal until it’s eradicated. You should see the regs I have to go through to ship cattle from one state to another.
    My two cents.
    WKW

joemama
    North St Paul

people are not cattle

riverruns
    Inactive

people are not cattle

So explain yourself.
    We are much more dangerous than cattle when it comes to spreading disease.

joemama
    North St Paul

to emply that the same solutions/restictions to human beings is short sighted

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

people are not cattle

For two reasons.

1. Cattle don’t lie
    2. We can’t shoot people.

Paulski

Nothing to worry about here, I just read that our awesome federal government has taken a strong leadership role and stated yesterday that monitoring of health care and aid workers returning from Africa would be “sensible and based on science.”

I am having a bit of trouble finding out what exactly that means we will be doing to try and avoid having the virus be brought back to the US by holier than thou aid workers from Doctors without borders whose self monitoring has left alot to be desired and don’t like being questioned about their health.

I understand we are trying to fight this at the source, my concern is it appears we are doing very little to safeguard bringing it back to the US at this time.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I was amazed to hear about the Dr. movin g freely around New York. You’d think that anyone that had been treating ebola patients would be keenly aware of even the slightest symtom.

You know what they call the guy that graduates at the bottom of his medical school class?

Doctor.

puddlepounder

The state of Maine has enacted a mandatory quarantine and the nurse that has just returned is saying she will file a civil rights law suit. Lets see what is more important, a few people having to stay in quarantine, or spreading Ebola across the country. I think that these do gooders are VERY selfish and don’t have a clue and think that the world revolves around them.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think that these do gooders are VERY selfish and don’t have a clue and think that the world revolves around them.

Bingo.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yes and they found out the bowling Dr actually lied about what he did. He actually was out and about more than he led on.

And that nurse seems to be a self centered attention you know what. The arrogance of these people bothers me. Yeah I know it is hard to spread unless they are full on Ebola, but the deal is lets nip it in the bud. Lets be over cautious instead of lacks.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

should there be a mandatory quarantine for people coming from effected areas in Africa??? watching the morning news, there was poll that showed 94% in favor. working in a field that I could be exposed, I think it is not asking too much for somebody that was there and could have been exposed to go through the quarantine process so ebola does not become a epidemic here in the US

THEY SHOULDN’T EVEN ALLOW THEM TO GET ON A PLANE FROM THE INFECTED AREA !!!!!!!!!

Keep it over there

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

HERE IS A QUESTION FROM A PLUMBING POINT OF VIEW, “QUARANTINE” WHAT DOES THAT EXACTLY MEAN?

NOW YOU HAVE A CONTAMINATED INDIVIDUAL WHO IS CONFINED TO A SECTION OF SOME HEALTHCARE BUILDING, WHERE WILL THE CONTAMINATED BODILY FLUIDS END UP? ARE WE COLLECTING THESE FLUIDS IN A DESIGNED HAZMAT ISOLATION TANK AND DESTROYING THEM? OR ARE THEY BEING RELEASED INTO THE SANITARY COLLECTION SYSTEMS?

I ASSUME COLLECTION OF THE FLUIDS WOULD MAKE THE MOST SENSE, HOWEVER WHAT ABOUT PRIOR TO THE CONFINEMENT OR QUARANTINE OF THE INFECTED INDIVIDUAL.

IS THIS VIRUS ABLE TO SURVIVE WITHIN A SANITARY COLLECTION SYSTEM, AND BE DISPERSED INTO THE ENVIRONMENT?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The state of Maine has enacted a mandatory quarantine and the nurse that has just returned is saying she will file a civil rights law suit. Lets see what is more important, a few people having to stay in quarantine, or spreading Ebola across the country. I think that these do gooders are VERY selfish and don’t have a clue and think that the world revolves around them.

I just read that this nurse has openly stated that she will not abide by the rules regarding her post-quarantine stint.

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

I keep hearing on the news that ebola’s “not that contagious” and doesn’t spread nearly as easily as, say, the flu. WHAT does that matter? It’s ebola and it’s deadly! I don’t want to see an outbreak anywhere, let alone the US. Maybe I’ve seen too many apocalyptic/virus/zombie movies, but it’s foolish to think we have control of this. And it’s scary to think it will probably only get worse. Especially with our “top notch” healthcare system… Quarantining is for the greater good and it’s necessary. Maybe now that ebola is a factor in our society, people will stop giving me a funny look when I refuse to shake hands.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I just read that this nurse has openly stated that she will not abide by the rules regarding her post-quarantine stint.

Good for her. No should tolerate unnecessary policies driven by ignorance and fear.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You mean like Global Warming?

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

You mean like Global Warming?

Yes, kind of like that. People who are demanding quarantines share qualities with deniers of the human influence on climate. Both positions are based in ignorance.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was thinking more about the policies…

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Well coming from a guy who hasn’t had TV in over 6months, and caring nothing for news on the internet, I find all the info I need from talking with people.

I get a different story, different ways of contracting it, different ways to quarantine it and I find it quite fascinating listening to each persons own report about it BC it shows as usual what a media hype this has become.

Its killing off people in uncivilized nations, but so does common colds and infected hang nails so what is there to worry about…..Nada.

I’ll be glad to see these posts disappear so we can back to real issues, like spanking and beavers devil

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.