Looking at new presses

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m looking at new presses and curious what thoughts are on the turret Vs single. Issue I’m having now is my Lyman T-Mag will rock back a couple thousandsths when I press 270’s and larger, causing 3 to 6 thousandths variance in seating depth. Most likely I’ll pick up Dillon, RCBS, or Lyman. Heard mixed reviews on Redding….. Looking to stay non or semi progressive

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Randy, in your opinion, does the turret give you that much advantage in setup speed?

Personally, I’m nearly always running one of two ways. Either small test batches of 15-20, or long runs of hundreds of the same. I can’t see an advantage for me in turret presses, the advantage for me would only be in staying with my single or going progressive.

The calibers that I load frequently and in volume I just bought an extra set of dies so I can leave the .223 and 250 dies set up for different pet loads.

I’m stying with the Rockchucker until I have the space to go full on progressive. Unfortunately, this summer’s bad weather during the p-dog trip has left me with less loading to do than I’d like, if you know what I mean. We only shot a paltry 500 rounds of CF in 1.5 days where we had dry weather. Ho hum, that won’t help me justify a progressive…

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I bought the T-mag because of the price at the time. I like it in the fact that I always have my two most common calibers always there and ready to go. I don’t need a progressive since I don’t do over 500 at a time

tucrs
    NW Metro

Dillion’s are fast… I have a 650 full progressive I can do with two people feeding it 600-1000 rounds every 90 minutes. It is a high volume loader.

I like my Lee Turret for building up a rounds and not having to change dies. I use it manually and rotate the head. Rounds I load on that is 300BLK, 223, 357/38, and a few others.

RCBS is very good. I just like Turrets because I have one plate for each caliber.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have the Hornady Lock N Load AP I really like the job the press does and with Hornady bushings once the dies are set just pop them in and out when changing calibers. Depending on powder the adjustable powder bushing will hold within .02 grans, powders like Varget will not load as consistent as big as the kernels are but usually within .05 grains.

The press can be run as a single stage easy enough when working up loads or just running a lot of brass thru it. It gives the option and for not a lot more money..

saddletramp

Many years ago I bought a bonanza coax press. Still love it. After tens of thousands of rounds through it, still tight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.