Line Counter Rod/Reel Preference

• gunsmith89
    Participant
    eyota, mn

Just wondering what everyone’s preference is for line counter reels and rods for flat lining rapala’s? Up until this year we have just used lead core or live bait rigs. I bought a precision troller’s bible last winter and has made a dramatic change on how we troll. I have purchased several Depth Master 2 and 3 rods and reels and have had a lot of issues with the buttons sticking for the line counters and I have also broke the clip on the depth master rod. I have heard several good things about the diawa reels but would like to hear some of the good and bad things about other rods/reels. Any input would be very helpful!

timschmitz
    Participant
    Waconia MN

We’ve been running diawa saltist’s on st. Croix eyecon rods for the last 2 years super smooth drags.

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

Daiwa Sealine reels and Shimano Compre rods make a sweet trolling setup and won’t break the bank. I have had good luck with the Depthmaster setups but they do break faster than the more expensive equipment. If your plan is to follow the Precision Trolling bible, use the same diameter line as in the book to make everything easier.

sktrwx2200
    Participant

With out a doubt. Shimano TekotaLC’s are the best out there IMO. Have 4 700’s for leadcore. And 4 300’s for fireline. Loud line alarm, calibrated drag, 4 ball bearings make it silky smooth with big fish one the line. They are matched up with a mix of Scheels Extreme trolling rods, and StCrx Eyecons. (also like Shimano compre trolling rod 8’6 telescoping model). Cant beat the scheels over the counter exchange for when your get too excited and throw a rod down and break an eye.

My favorite are inside rods the 5ft stubbies, they always catch 5:1 over the long outside rods. Why do you think that is? Anyone have an plausible answer to that one??

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Shimano Tekotas for reels and Compre for rods. Ran Daiwa sealines for years and have been replacing them all with Tekotas. The sealine is a decent reel, but doesn’t compare IMO to the tekota.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Shimano Tekotas for reels and Compre for rods. Ran Daiwa sealines for years and have been replacing them all with Tekotas. The sealine is a decent reel, but doesn’t compare IMO to the tekota.

I run the same rods and reels as John… for the same reasons. As he stated the Daiwas are decent reels but the Tekotas are really in a class all by themselves. Any time I had a Daiwa go down I replaced it with a Tekota and the Shimanos appear to be bulletproof.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Diawa Accudepths on Bass Pro 7’6″ telescoping Crankin Sticks in M and MH.

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

My favorite are inside rods the 5ft stubbies, they always catch 5:1 over the long outside rods. Why do you think that is? Anyone have an plausible answer to that one??

I hear you there, those shorties are deadly for some reason. I have noticed that they really outfish the long outside rods on rough days.

To the original poster, there are a ton of options out there. I also run Tekotas for many applications, but I don’t expect everyone to be able to justify the cost either. Roughly 8-10 years ago I bought 10 depthmasters during that time. Two were junk right away and I exchanged them, 4 lasted until a couple years ago, 2 the line counter is shot (still use them for leadcore), and 4 are still good today. For a $30-$50 investment, I think that’s pretty good. I have 4 Sealines that get used an average of 25 days per season and have never had an issue. My Tekotas are on their second season and I have had no issues. There are plenty of options out there.

Trolling rods in my boat right now-Mr. Walleye, Shimano Compre, Depthmaster, G Loomis, Scheels, and St. Croix. I like each for a different reason.

riverrat56
    Participant
    New Ulm, MN

I’m partial to Sealines, to me they are the best compromise between price and performance.

Something I would also add is to find a reel you like, spool them all identically and stick with them. There can be a large variation between the read out on the line counter and actual footage of line out. Using identical set ups will make repeating success much easier

spike down
    Participant

I also run tekotas on my dipsy rods, they are great. The only down side is the $170 price tag. Okuma convectors are solid reels that cost $70. I run 10 color on a 45 backed with braid. They are larger than the tekotas for the line capacity vs physical size. Hold one for your self, I think they feel better than the sealine or any other reel in that price range.

muskeye
    Participant
    Duluth, Mn

I purchased a bunch of the depthmaster combos, and I’m quickly phasing ALL the reels out. I haven’t had any issues with the rods though. I have the 8’6″ planer board rods. They do well for long lining, but better with boards. Not saying there aren’t better ones out there, but IMO you do not need $100+ rods for planer board rods. I’m now buying all Convector 20s. Sealines are good if those are in your price range. I don’t like the Accudepths, I don’t think they are any better than the Depthmasters. No experience with Tekota’s, but wouldn’t hesitate to buy a shimano reel. I’ll be putting an order for the 12′ limit creek rods for long-lining soon too, I’ve heard they are pretty decent.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.