Leech lake water temps falling

• Tom Wilson
    Participant
    walker mn

My last couple of trips have been pretty good for mid September. Last Friday (9/12) the surface temp was 62, today (9/16)
    we are down to 57 on the big lake. The walleyes are not schooled like they will be but when you find them they seem willing to bite a jig and minnow. Both last days out we were able to get our limits but from multiple spots. There is a very good mix of year classes present. The fish are fat and healthy. We have found them on both shoreline and off shore sand flats in anywhere from 8ft out to 12ft. Wind has been helpful but not a game changer.

Attachments:
    1. 9-12.14-2.jpg

2. 9-16-14.jpg

3. 9-12.14.jpg

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Good God I can’t wait to retire up there!!! RR

elk_addict
    Participant
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Thanks for the report. The wife and I are at our cabin in the Lincoln Lakes next week and I will likely drive up and fish a couple days.

I was hoping to take the wife up one day and get on some perch. Anything good happening on the perch bite?

Tom Wilson
    Participant
    walker mn

Thanks for the report. The wife and I are at our cabin in the Lincoln Lakes next week and I will likely drive up and fish a couple days.

I was hoping to take the wife up one day and get on some perch. Anything good happening on the perch bite?

Boats are starting to congregate in the narrows but am not sure how they are doing. It should be time. I have other spots that hold perch but haven’t chased them for awhile. they were just moving in a week or so ago so I assume they should be there.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

Hey Tom –

I’ve got some leeches leftover and we’re coming up there next week.

Have you ever tried using them this late in the season?
    I’ll be fishing eyes and perch.

Tom Wilson
    Participant
    walker mn

I do a lot of rigging leeches and crawlers in July and august but come September the jig goes back on. But I would imagine they would work, cant say for sure. I do know a guide that sticks to crawlers almost all open water season. I would have some minnows along also. Perch will often leave a leech alone but there are times when they will hit anything and now is that time.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

Sounds like I better have them in the boat, along w/minnows, and give ’em a whirl. Guess it won’t take long to find out.
    I know a couple years ago I tried plastic crayfish too. Got a few but minnows way out fished them. I was surprised they didn’t work better because every perch I caught, burped up 1/2 digested crayfish.

Thanks Tom !!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.