leadcore setups

• wheels2
    Participant
    Ham Lake,MN

So I am going to set up six segmented lead core rods for fishing lake trout and salmon on Lake Superior. My question is if running 3 rods on each side behind boards what would be the best setup as far as how many colors on each rod. I do have down riggers as well to help target specific depths but am wondering a good rule of thumb for depths to run on the lead.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

For right now, 10 8 6 and 9 7 5 only problem is that you need to buy the 6 spools with this set.
    In the future you can use the remainder to set up 2 3 4 and another 5.

I like Lime green 30# berkley big game for my backer. Filling that many reels Id be looking for a big spool of it.

wheels2
    Participant
    Ham Lake,MN

Mark, how many feet to do like to put on for backing?

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

Just throwing my method out there for you:

If they are all the same model reel, put the leader on the spool of one reel first, then lead, and finally fill the spool up with backing. As the spool is most accurate,on most line counters, close to full. Then feed the whole “backwards” line set up onto the next reel, and it will be on the spool the right way. Last one will be the pain in the but as you will have to put it on another spool or possibly stretch it out across your yard to get it on the right way again.

Might be hard to give you a number with different line thicknesses and spool sizes possible. Also likely don’t need to be as picky if you are not using line counters.

Tim Bossert
    Participant
    Cochrane, WI

Great idea. One more question to add. If you are running out all colors to hit a depth, how much of the backing do you also let out to make the last color functional? Very new to this and want to fish bigger water more. I understand the “V” patterns of placement with multiple lines, but not sure how much to let out? Are there some setups with NO backing? Just asking…

grey-beard
    Participant
    McFarland, Wisconsin

Most everyone I know uses 27# leadcore for salmon/trout trolling. It comes in 100 and 200 yard spools and bulk spools can be found. Filling your reel to capacity is desired because the retrieve rate is maximized. The left over segments can be used by splicing together using a short piece of 30# mono and 2 Willis knots. Some will say too many knots but after quite a few years of doing this, no failures.

I fill my reels like mentioned before. Easiest is to use same sized reel, fill backwards and transfer. If same sized reel is not available I will take the time to transfer between 2 spools and back on the reel using my electric drill. It takes time but the outcome is what I want. On the Great Lakes Angler site someone came up with a reel capacity formula on an Excel spread to assist calculating backing requirements. I have not used it but I’ve read positive comments from others. Go to the following link and mouse down to reel calculator and open up the Excel sheet.

http://www.glangler.com/tools-and-info

Depending on the size of the reel and the length of the segment one can use either mono or braid for backing. I typically use 300’ of 30 or 40# braid(depends what’s on sale) on all of mine >3 colors because some of my reels are smallish size 320 Penns. All setups with > 5colors are Penn 895 size or equivalent. I use that much braid because I don’t want to be spooled by a big fish. Braid is slippery so I put 100-150’ 30# mono between the leadcore/copper and the braid. Braid is more susceptible to abrasion so attaching the board release to mono I think is much better. (yes more knots but…..)

I use a Willis knot for mono to leadcore and a double uni from mono to braid. I put on the leadcore, then mono, then braid and top off with more mono. When back on the reel I use 25’ of 25# 100% Berkley Fluoro as my leader. When it gets to be <15’ I re-tie.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/willis-knot

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/double-uni-knot/

I typically attach my Off Shores 2-10’ from the lead core. This does not maximize the diving ability and some will let out one to 3 passes before attaching the board. Most important is to be consistent. If 5 colors is hot and I want to turn my 4 color into a 5 color I typically let out 3 passes more than normal. Not sure this achieves the goal but should be close enough. A pass for me is one sweep across the reel.

One ponder-able is how often to change out lead core or braid due to age? I don’t know and have run some of my braid for a number of years. My 40# Ripcord braid dipsys have not been changed for at least 7 yrs and still feels like it would cut off my fingers before breaking. I do cut back a few feet when it looks fuzzy. For the first time I can remember I had a lead core line break mid segment. My recollection was that 6 color was new last year and guessing something other than old age was at play. I have four 2s, two 3s, one 4, two 5s, one 6, one 7, two 8s and two 10s so changing line very often would be a lot of time and money.

Grey Beard

Tim Bossert
    Participant
    Cochrane, WI

Great info, thanks. Went out with very novice equipment on Saturday with my son and early morning in Milwaukee harbor yielded many bites, lost fish and pulled hooks. Nothing broke, but most fish were small. After lunch (3:30), one King in 40 fow outside the gap and nothing until dusk back inside the gap when a decent brown hit the spoon and ended up in the box. Fun day, but want to increase my arsenal with better equipment. I don’t get to go but a couple times a year and justifying the additional cost is tough. Minimum drive is four hours just to find big water.

Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.