Late August Lower Dells

• just-fish
    Participant
    Portage, Wi

Work has kept me off of the water most of the summer but I finally got a break around the end of August and got to hit some of my favorite smallmouth territory in the Lower Dells.
    Fishing before the water level has now recently risen was great. I made a few different evening trips usually starting at around 5:30 p.m. This time of year I will mostly throw crankbaits until the low light time periods when I’ll switch to top water. In the mornings I’ll do the reverse. The evening fishing will typically start out slow and just keep getting faster and faster until dark. The last few trips you’ll see the pictures taken at night because it was too fast right at dark to take time for photos. After the bite stopped usually 10 – 20 minutes after complete sunset we took photos and released all of the smallies. I’d say the bass fishing right now is very good and there are plenty of other species that are willing to hit crankbaits right with them.

Attachments:
    1. IMAGE_24.jpeg

2. IMAGE_22.jpeg

3. P1010036.jpg

4. 018.jpg

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Nice fish. Have never fished that section after April or before November. Might have to change that.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice fish Jeff!

just-fish
    Participant
    Portage, Wi

Hey John,
    I’m actually a bass guy that has transitioned over to mostly walleyes over the last several years now. There is some pretty good walleye fishing their year round but the pleasure boats, for me, are too much to hastle with. And I think the fishing is better down on the lake. I did catch a walleye on 3 of my 4 outing there the 3rd week of August… 2) shorts, 1)17″ & the one in the picture was a 25-1/2″ slot. All were caught while throwing crankbaits to the shore for bass so I would think that actually targeting them might provide some decent results.
    The smallmouth that congregate up there in the summer is a different story though and the river is pretty quiet early in the morning and later in the evening. Hope your having a good summer and good fishing this fall.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.