Lake Erie required items???

• Buzz
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Do I need anything more then Fire Extinguisher, Horn. Throw cushion ??? Also have drift sock. Do I need flares and a flag? 21ft Ranger Z-21

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

You need flares on the Great Lakes and they must be within ther safe use date. I know that for sure.

Also check, because over XX feet you may also need a marine radio.

I wouldn’t go out on the Great Lakes without a GPS/plotter. If for no other reason than the ability to give your coordinates will greatly help any rescue attempt should it be necessary.

Grouse

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Flare will suffice for a daytime signal. Flag wouldn’t be necessary. After fishing on superior for a couple years now, I feel much safer with a flare gun anyway.

I also can’t recall on the marine radio. Once again, I feel much safer with it.

Almost needed it yesterday when I ran out of 2 cycle oil on superior. Luckily I was close enough to shore to ignore the buzzer for a while.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

According to the Coast Gaurd that checked me last year you must have a marine radio. Hand held or fixed mount will meet the guidelines.

Kurt Turner
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Anchor with an appropriate amount of rope.

trytoofish
    Participant
    sw Mn.

Really. my goodness that could be a lot of rope. What’s appropriate? Old rule of thumb was 3 x the depth to get your anchor to hold, I believe.

Art Green
    Participant
    Brookfield,WI

According to the Coast Gaurd that checked me last year you must have a marine radio. Hand held or fixed mount will meet the guidelines.

Some form of communication is required. A cell phone counts but don’t count on it working. A Marine radio is strongly recommended not required.

Radio Regulations
    Most recreational vessels less than 65 .6 feet (20 meters) in length are
    not required to carry a marine radio . Any vessel that carries a marine
    radio must follow the rules of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) .

Licensing
    The FCC does not require most operators of recreational vessels to
    carry a radio or to have an individual license to operate VHF-FM marine
    radios, EPIRBs, or any type of radar . Operators must however follow
    the procedures and courtesies that are required of licensed opera-
    tors specified in the FCC rules . You may use the name or registration
    number of your vessel to identify your ship station .

Recreational
    Vessels that may be required to be licensed:
    • Power-driven driven vessels more than 65 feet (20 meters) in length .
    • Any vessel, including a recreational vessel, on an international voyage .

Radio Listening Watch
    Vessels not required to carry a marine radio – for example, recreational
    vessels less than 65 .6 feet (20 meters) in length, but which voluntarily
    carry a radio – must maintain a watch on Channel 16 (156 .800 MHz) or
    VHF Channel 9 (156 .450 MHz), the boater-calling channel, whenever
    the radio is operating and not being used to communicate.

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/workflow_staging/publications/420.pdf

See page 42 in the publication.

Kurt Turner
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

When I fished the FLW the Ohio fish and game required a 100 foot rope. My 50 footer wasn’t enough. FWIW

Kurt Turner
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Reviewing the above PDF I don’t see anchor required. Interesting. The azzhat would not allow me to launch until I went and purchased a suitable length of anchor rope. Lost half a day of pre-fishing running around finding one. You don’t forget events in life like that. I always wondered if he was usurping his power much like what I see and hear in MN/ND/WI/SD on rare occasion. Oh well, sure have a nice long anchor rope now. Hah

85lund
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kurt Turner wrote:</div>

Really. my goodness that could be a lot of rope. What’s appropriate? Old rule of thumb was 3 x the depth to get your anchor to hold, I believe.

An anchor may not be required but if your boat motor is inoperable and you are in any waves it can save your boat from being destroyed by crashing the shoreline.

Art Green
    Participant
    Brookfield,WI

Local regulations may require more gear. Most of the time when I fish Lake Michigan 100 feet of rope won’t even reach the bottom! But as mentioned earlier,it could keep you from trashing the boat. I keep a large drift sick on board in case I have double motor failure off shore; at least it slows the drift and keeps the bow into the waves if needed.

Buzz
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Thanks all, great conversation and info. Art Green nailed it. I also called 9th District and they confirmed the radio issue (not needed) 216 902 6094

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.