Knots for tying 2 lines together?

• haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

In the magazine article for fishing jigging raps, James/Cal were tying suffix 6/20 to a flourocarbon leader.

What kind of knot do they use to tie these 2 lines together?

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I like to use an Albright knot for joining superlines to fluorocarbon leaders but there are other knots that you can use as well. Some prefer to use a uni-knot.

When tying an Albright knot, always wrap the thinner diameter line over the thicker diameter line.

The Albright knot is sometimes referred to as a Nail knot. This is in reference to the use of a small diameter nail or wire which can be used to help tie the Albright knot. Basically you lay the line over the nail when wrapping it and then pull the nail out before pulling the lines tight.

Fishing Knots

When tying a superline over a mono or fluorocarbon line, you will generally need at least 9 wraps in order for the knot to hold.

youngfry
    Participant
    Northeast Iowa

For leaders I use a surgeon’s knot.
    Video

I tie from floro to fireline all the time and haven’t had a problem. I also use this knot when flyfishing for mono to mono or floro to mono… always seems to hold fine.

If I’m putting two long lines together like mono backing to braid then I’ll use a nail or uni knot like Joel mentioned. They all work!

I also downloaded the Knot Wars app for android which has ratings for each knot with different line types and video instruction for each. Really helpful for those knots you don’t tie very often.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

The albright and nail knot are very different knots. I’m not a fan of the nail knot, especially between braid and mono/fluoro.

Here is an example of each.

Nail knot
    http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Albright knot
    http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

The albright is good, but I like the modified albright better. Instead of wrapping down to the loop like a regular albright, you first wrap up 8 times, and then back down 8 times before passing through the loop. Here is a video on that one. Once you tie it a few times, it becomes pretty easy.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Double Uniknot: for braid to briad, braid to fluorocarbon, braid to mono. Never let me down. I tried the albright but found it a pain when in a pinch, say when making up a leader in rough weather.

Just my experience.
    http://www.proknot.com/html/double_uni.html

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Yup, nail knots and Albrights are two different knots. The Albright is OK when it works right but I always struggle getting it pull down right.

To connect braid to Mono or Fluoro I like to tie back to back nail knots. It’s easy with a tool like this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tie-Fast-Knot-Tying-Tool/711069.uts?productVariantId=1600601&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=26-404899506-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=30034778&rid=20

In the video associated with the magazine article, Cal shows that he used a 30# swivel between the braid and the fluoro leader. That works pretty well too.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Yup, nail knots and Albrights are two different knots.

Back when I first learned to tie the Albright knot, it was also referred to as a Nail knot. This was back when superlines first came out. I know now a days that the nail & albright are different knots.
    In hindsight, it would have been better if I hadn’t even mentioned it.

I’ve never had an issue with the Albright Knot failing on me but there have been times where it has been difficult to get it cinched down tight without the superline sliding out completely, forcing me to retie the knot.
    I watched the video that John posted on the Modified Albright Knot. Looks very interesting and I think I’m going to give that a try in the future to see if there are any issues when cinching it tight.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

In the video associated with the magazine article, Cal shows that he used a 30# swivel between the braid and the fluoro leader. That works pretty well too.

I’m a dope…I did not catch this in the video.
    I think I’ll use the swivel too!

I appreciate all the comments guys!!

I can still use the knot tying links for future use.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Modified Albright, never fails. Make sure to use the braid to wrap around the flouro , otherwise I’ve found the braid will slip if other way. I do 10# power pro to 8# mono for the river and works perfect. Lure will break off before the knot does. I’ve used flouro as well but switched to mono, like it much better. Need a lil strech to play them biggins with a mxf rod.

FryDog62
    Participant

I most often use the Modified Albright and Uni-Uni knots and they have never failed me.

I also have just started to experiment with the “J” knot which actually beat out the Albright and Uni on the most recent “Knot Wars – Lite.” Its also very strong and extremely simple to tie but I think better for shorter leaders – longer ones can still be tied but there are long tag ends that you need to wrap around…

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

I have only used the back to back double UNI knot
    for all types of braid to mono, or any two other
    types of lines,
    It has never failed me, and is easy to use.
    Jack

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

I just watched both episodes of Knot wars j knot against modified albright and the modified albright won both. I switched to the modified albright a few years ago from the back to back uni. The back to back unit must be tied perfectcly and does not go through guides like the modified albright does. I sometimes make drop shot leaders that actually are long enough to go on the reel a couple wraps and the Albright still allows you to cast etc. Uni to uni would hang up in the reel etc. Plus when you have to break a snag off the uni to uni broke at the leader knot most of the time. That seldom happens with the modified alberto I would never switch back after 4 or 5 years of using it. If it works on saltwater applications so well it has to work on smallies.

Mwal

bassn7
    Participant
    Bruce,WI

I used to tie the double uni knot but struggled to get it tyied right a lot of the time,since I have been tieing the albright or modified albright I have no problems at all! a little practice and you’re good to go.
    Stan

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ill add I’m sure most line to line knots work just fine when performed correctly. Just found the mod. Albright the easiest to tie, and fishing mostly at night that was imperative for myself.

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The Yucatan knot is easier to tie than any of the above…stronger and smaller. So it goes through micro guides w/o “bumping”. I have progressed from the Surgeon to the Double Uni, to the Alberto (Mod Albright), and now the Yucatan for braid or mono to fluoro.

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The Double Centari is even stronger, according to Knot Wars, but I haven’t tried it yet.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Oh that knot looks niiice. Will be giving that a shot next time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.