Is anyone heading out tonight?

• dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I plan heading down around Bayport tonight. Anyone else going to be out? Looks like I will be running solo tonight if anyone wants to jump in or if anyone wants another guy in the boat.

dfresh
    Participant
    Fridley, MN

Wear your winter gear! Supposed to get downright cold tonight! Good luck!

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

How late you staying out? I can’t join til 10, but have no curfew after that.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I am planning on staying out tell 12 or 1. I have funeral “wedding” to go to tomorrow.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Missed you out there dbright.

How did you do?

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

Just got home now. I did not get to break the sturgeon virgin in tonight but caught 8 myself. Nothing of any size. There was 6 or so boats around when I got out at dark.

Ryan Lindus
    Participant

We made it out and was able to get few fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ok D…you didn’t let the virgin take your rod once? Ouch LOL!

You know it’s dark out there at night. I had a boat pull up a short distance away and drop anchor then pull out. He said “sorry man, we wouldn’t have anchored this close but we thought you were our friend!”.

I responded but I know he didn’t hear me…

I said “we are your friends TOO!”

As long as a boat doesn’t block the area we’re casting in, I’m really ok with company. ‘Course wind will have some say in how close a person can anchor.

It was a beautiful night. Since it was the first cold snap (so to speak) of the fall, was was in my StrikeMaster bibs. A tee shirt, hoodie, zip up sweatshirt, PFD and the wind breaker that comes with the PFD.

I was cold but bearably cold at 1 am. )

Here’s a few from last night.

Attachments:
    1. DSC04545.jpg

2. DSC04548.jpg

3. DSC04541.jpg

4. DSC04537.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Dang! What was the measures on the big one?

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice. Mighty have to make a Sunday night trip over.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

47″ to 51′ were the sizes from Friday evening.

Saturday stunk for us. When the wind picked up to 20+ mph we did the same as most others. Packed up…. I stopped at the Bungalow to see my fav beer tender Jeff. (mistake).

Two channels and one sturgeon lost to the back anchor.

I hope others did better.

Better nights coming.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

Anyone heading out tomorrow evening?

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I will be out again finally tonight and tomorrow. How many of you will be out tonight?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yawn, I’ll be out each night through Sunday.

I was blanked last night until about 10:30. Moved, moved and moved some more until we connected.

Lost the first fish and that doesn’t happen too often with a circle hook.

The moon rise was…well, a work of God.

BTW, come midnight it was windless and dang cold! Dress warm peoples!

Attachments:
    1. DSC04667.jpg

2. DSC04661.jpg

3. DSC04656.jpg

4. DSC04647.jpg

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

That moon was something to see as it came up over the east side of mille lacs. Just wish the fishing was better

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We were landing a double last night when the moon rose so we didn’t get to see it until it was up.

Attachments:
    1. DSC04684.jpg

2. DSC04683.jpg

3. DSC04679.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Nice. I’m out here and will be till Sunday.

No Biggs yet

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

We were out tell 315 with not a lot to show for it. We moved every hr or less. We tried plain crawlers, cut sucker, crawler and fathead, sucker and crawler with none of them doing any better then the other. I was hoping to finish my season with a pb before leaving out of state for work Sunday morning.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We only stuck one fish last night and by the looks of it, it was slow for everyone on our area.

Now on the other hand, there will be a fella that had a very very good night last night, but I’ll let him tell his story.

A boat pulled up and anchored last night. A few moments later I started reaching into my pocket to make a donation to the Salvation Army. Sounded like I was at the front of a Target store. LOL!

boone
    Participant
    Woodbury, MN

I was out on Saturday night, October 11, 2014 and got five sturgeon and one channel cat. The sturgeon were 39″, 40″, 51″, 53″ and a 65″. My previous PB sturgeon was a 47″ so I was thrilled to get two over 50″ and then the 65″ was something I always dreamed about. I’d see posts with guys and their 60″+ sturgeon and I always hoped that I could get one some day. I don’t spend a lot of time on the water going after sturgeon so I got lucky.

I spent the day painting the deck and came in after dark and had dinner. I looked at my watch and thought, ‘heck, it’s not even 8:00 p.m., the winds are calm, and the moon is suppose to rise at about 9:00 p.m.’. So I told wife I’m heading out sturgeon fishing. She said, “You’re going fishing now?” and I said, “Yes, I’m going to catch a 65″ sturgeon”, never thinking that it could actually happen.

I was fishing in about 45-50 fow using cut bait or crawlers or a combination of the two. I started fishing shortly after moon rise but didn’t get anything for the first hour. The best time for me seemed to be between 1:00 – 2:00 a.m. I caught the 65″ around 2:00 a.m. and called it a night.

I know it’s just a story without pictures. I was fishing alone so all I have is a picture of the 53″ and the 65″ in the bottom of the boat. Bottom-of-the-boat photos are never very nice looking but I’ll post it when I get the images off the camera. The 65″ had been tagged but the number part of the tag was missing. The wire was still in the fin but unfortunately the number part must have fallen off… perhaps it got scrapped off by the net? The 51″ had a lamprey on it that didn’t let go until the fish was in the boat. Because it was so calm, I only had one anchor out and I was very lucky none of the fish got wrapped around the anchor. The 53 incher came clear out of the water twice and the 65″ also cleared the water once. It’s so cool to see those big fish do that. I knew the 65″ was a nice fish but I had no idea it was as big as it was until it jumped.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well deserved fish Boone!!

I really wish I would have been there to heckle you…(and take your picture).

You’ve come a long way since the night we met when you two had those bass rods. LOL!

Congrates!

Here’s Jerry from Sunday with a couple 50+ fish.

Attachments:
    1. jerry.jpg

2. IMG_3514.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

The 53 incher came clear out of the water twice and the 65″ also cleared the water once. It’s so cool to see those big fish do that. I knew the 65″ was a nice fish but I had no idea it was as big as it was until it jumped.

Sweet!
    Nice fish for sure!

boone
    Participant
    Woodbury, MN

Here are the sturgeon photos from Saturday evening. One photo is of the 53″ and the other is of the 65″. For reference, the back of the seat base is 50 inches from the bow deck. I also added pictures of the right side and left side of the fin showing where the tag use to be attached.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3079.jpg

2. IMG_3080.jpg

3. IMG_3077.jpg

4. IMG_3073.jpg

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

65″. That is a beast Dan. Way to go on that one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I wish I would have been there to video you by yourself trying to net that fish and of course to take your photo for the wall.

That had to be a hoot lifting her over the side of the boat with your arms aching!! Love that pain!!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Did you girth the 65″?

Nice catch.
    Get an app for your camera phone with a timer setting like camera zoom.

boone
    Participant
    Woodbury, MN

FBRM,

No, I did not get a girth. Both the 53″ and the 65″ seemed to be relatively thick compared to some photos of St. Croix sturgeon I’ve seen. By relatively thick I mean that they did not start to get skinnier and taper down right after the head. I should get a tripod for the camera and use a timer.

Good luck if you’re getting out tonight.

Boone

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.