Interstate Smallies

• fred bartling

First post with my new log in name. I fished from interstate park up to the railroad bridge both Sunday and this morning. The water is high enough that With a small boat I didn’t have any trouble moving around. On Sunday lots of fisherman had smiles on their faces with people reporting a mixed bag of walleye and smallmouth. Most of the people were fishing deep current breaks, and anchoring up dunking crawlers.

On both days I had good smallmouth action pitching tubes on a 1/8 jig to inside current edges. I looked for rocks with current. With a nice slow drop it was game on. Water quality is pretty good. Any small points with rocks underwater held fish. I would pitch my jig to underwater rock edges. Good polaroids are important and remember that with small water smallmouth sometimes 12 inches in depth changes makes the difference. With all the bait fish in the system now when I pitches my jig I would see small minnows jumping out of the water. Often the smallmouth would hold in these areas.

This morning I also caught several bass by watching for surface action then hitting the spot with a small floating rap. Pop and twitch. After a somewhat mediocre year for fishing so far I have to say it feel good to have “a groove on”.. Lots of good swimming and active fish without being overdone by big boats. Cant go wrong. The fish are their. Its that time of year where a one pound smallmouth feels like two pounds! Great fun. Tight lines.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Sounds like a lot of fun Fred!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Week or so ago I fished my lil flat I found in the boat from shore which is sand on top then drops to riprap/rock on the deeper edges and caught several all hanging on the edges. What a blast, most all were spitting up crayfish and yet still going for my crawler. You ain’t kidding they got some spunk in em now, just won’t stop fighting.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Welcome back to the site Fred. Hoping to get in some fishing and soaking time over there this weekend.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.