In Response to a Common Saying

• Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

It never fails. Start a conversation about a new lure pattern or presentation and some old-school curmudgeon says “well, some lures are just made to catch fisherman.” I will admit that there is a lot truth to this but why do you have to make it sound like I have been duped for trying it out? Isn’t it possible for a lure to catch an angler’s eye AND a fishes? Nothing is more enjoyable in my opinion than tricking fish on a kick-but looking lure of some type. So how about this- you fish with your unpainted jig and minnow and I will do the experimenting for the both of us. When I’m really rippin’ lips, I’ll try to turn you on to yet another fish catching marvel and you will once again roll your eyes. To each his own I say, what ever gives you an edge.

Yes, it’s easy to go overboard and end up with a literal boat load of boxes full of balsa, plastic, metal and lead but it just feels right to me. After all, some people actually collect postage stamps.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds like a lot of lures caught you……lol )

desperado

some people collect old common sayings

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Too many times I’ve seen a “stupid looking bait” or the “wrong bait” or the wrong color or size work like a charm.

I remember the first time I ever saw a spinner bait. Looks like nothing at all in nature, but it sure works.

And I think there’s a lot to be said for confidence. If you like a bait, it will work for you. If you don’t like it, it won’t. I’ve seen that a lot too.

SR

P.S. None of the above applies to blade baits. They’re stupid and they don’t work )

desperado

P.S. None of the above applies to blade baits. They’re stupid and they don’t work )

but they’ve sure caught a lotta fishermen

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What I enjoy about fishing goes way beyond the catching. Instead, I really enjoy the process of improving my overall understanding of a body of water, time of year and species and finding the most effective method for catching fish under those conditions. Of course, this process often involves experimenting with new baits and I think I’d laugh at anyone that told me I was wrong for trying something new. Wrong to try? Really? Let’s just say that guy and I wouldn’t make good boat partners.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I cannot believe you are not out trying out some new fisherman catching baits today.

deertracker

When I was really young I would occasionally get up early and hit the mud on Milly with my dad. He would run a plain hook and sometimes a bead. I would tie up these monster spinner rigs with like 20 beads, a floater and whatever else I could find in my box. On more than one occasion I out fished him. I always thought it was funny.
    DT

lhprop1
    Eagan

If the hooks are big enough and sharp enough, any old lure will catch it’s share of fishermen.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Always liked the saying ” you will never catch anything on that.” About the only better way to make a lure a fish catcher is have your girlfriend or spouse use it.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’ve got a second tackle box started. It’s for the lures that caught the fisherman and never caught fish. Most of them I knew were stupid but the shiny objects caused a triggering mechanism in my brain. Others worked or at least taught me something worthwhile.

Worse are discount bins! It’s like speed trolling for reaction bites. Walking down the aisle and before I know it I’ve got three lures with red sale tags on them in my basket. Damn them fisherman catching presentations!!!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think I’ve learned that color does sometimes make a difference, especially on Lake Superior. But it’s pretty obvious that the elaborate color schemes are only intended to catch fishermen.

I think every lure I’ve owned has seen its moments in the sun, yes even the flying lure.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Why the hate against curmudgeoism?
    In our chapter we support all who want to take up the challenge of whatever one takes on.
    ) ;)

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

What I enjoy about fishing goes way beyond the catching. Instead, I really enjoy the process of improving my overall understanding of a body of water, time of year and species and finding the most effective method for catching fish under those conditions. Of course, this process often involves experimenting with new baits and I think I’d laugh at anyone that told me I was wrong for trying something new. Wrong to try? Really? Let’s just say that guy and I wouldn’t make good boat partners.

I share very much how James stated this. I see different goals/techniques all the time. Unfortunately, WAY TOO OFTEN, I see people doing the same old thing because they hammered them on a bait or spot last year….. For anyone that has attended my seminar on understanding the bite, quickly learns that I am after the most aggressive bite where the fish is eating the bait, not a curiosity bump. Granted, I have my go-to lures for most conditions/circumstances to start with. But often in the adverse conditions I’m using any & everything to figure them out. There isn’t much more of a rewarding feeling when clients are talking to others back at the launch and they had a awesome day with fish slamm’n a bait…and others are saying how tough and lite the bite was.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.