In-Floor Heat Diagnostic

• deertracker

Im not sure how well my pictures will show up but worth a shot before I call someone. I turned my in-floor heat on this year and my pump won’t run. It is not getting power even if I turn the thermostat all the way up. Here is a picture of the power block. Power comes in and is hot at the left wire. The right black wire goes to the pump but is not getting power. I did not set this system up so I do not know how it works. Is there a relay or something that went bad? Everything worked last year. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 2014-11-22-17.56.13.jpg

deertracker

Here is a pic from further away.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 2014-11-22-17.56.20.jpg

gary d
    cordova,il

One thing to check is make sure that your pump will turn over by hand if you can. If it has not been run all summer long sometimes the impeller will seez-up. Good luck guy!!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Cripes DT. You’re tap dancing in a mechanical minefield these days. A couple of more things breaking down and you’ll have all the fixins for a top 10 country music hit.

These things always happen in threes, so I hope you’re in the clear soon. Of course, they could happen in multiples of three as well, so maybe 6, or 9, or 12. So taking that into account, please don’t go near any places where you might have contact with the public.

Grouse

deertracker

I ran a jumper from the left black wire (I know is hot and is the incoming power) directly to the pump. The pump runs fine. For some reason the hot line comes into the power block fine but does not leave it to the pump.
    DT

deertracker

After looking at it more I think I might have a bad relay. it is the top one in the second picture. it looks like the power should go through that to the pump from the block.
    DT

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

If it’s the relay there’s a place not far from you (relatively speaking) that will carry it. The name of the company is Digi-Key and they are located in Thief Rivers Falls. If you ship it ground you will have it the next day.

Don’t go on their website and look unless you know all the spec’s for this type of relay. You will be overwhelmed as they carry just about everything. Just pickup the phone and call them and tell them everything listed on the relay and they should be able to help you. I’ve had great luck with this company when looking for chips, resistors, relays, ect… Their customer service department is knowledgeable and is always willing to help.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

First check if you have 24 volts coming from the thermostat to the relay. It could be your thermostat or a low voltage transformer problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.