I'm the King of Obsolete

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Anybody remember the character on Ice Road Truckers called the King of Obsolete? I know how he feels.

Just mentioned to a younger co-worker that I had heard a new Clapton song off his just-released album (there I go again…) and that I’d have to get the CD. With the predictable response, “You actually buy CDs? Like, still?”

I was talking to my neighbor a couple of weeks ago, a nice guy only about 5 years younger than I am, so in his late 30s. There’s a dead tree in his yard, just a little one and he says, “I’ll have to get a tree service in to take that down in the next couple of weeks.”

I said, “How about I get my chainsaw and we make it gone like in the next 15 minutes? No charge.”

His eyes nearly came out of his head. “You actually OWN a chainsaw? Isn’t that, like, too dangerous for just a regular guy? So you know HOW to cut down a tree?” You’d swear I’d just confessed to having my own flamethrower or having plans to build a personal atom bomb or something. When I finished cutting it down, and as we stacked up the wood, he said, “I can’t believe you know how to do that.”

Earlier this summer, the same guy came over asking if I could help him load his lawnmower into their minivan. “What’s wrong with it?”, I asked.

“The blade is dull. I’m taking it in to have it sharpened.”

“How about we just take the blade off the mower?”

“Well… How do you do that?” So I showed him how to take it off. He was amazed. Then I sharpened it for him. He was even more amazed. Apparently, owning a full socket set is amazing enough, but owning your own grinder is off the charts in the 21st century.

I read newspapers. Made out of paper.
    I buy CDs.
    I buy used stuff without even a thought that it’s not “in warranty”.
    I actually fix kids toys.
    I own multiple boats that were not made in this century. Only one of which is EFI.
    I listen to the radio…on a radio.
    I change my own oil. Yes, even on new cars.
    I’ve cooked over an open fire.
    I own not one, but two Coleman lanterns. The ones that use Coleman fuel.
    I use a Weber grill. The kettle ones that heat with charcoal.
    If something breaks, I fix it. Or at least try before throwing it away.

I’m the King of Obsolete.

Grouse

shockers
    Rochester

What a great post!

You’ve got me beat in a few categories. But I still listen to CDs – and have yet to upload any tunes onto my iPhone (though I own one, so I guess I’m not super obsolete).

Also, I own an old Stihl chainsaw – just cuz. I don’t have a fireplace, I just like chainsaws and you never know when you’ll need a chainsaw. I sometimes just randomly start it.

Heck. I’ve even managed to catch a fish or two without a shiny boat. Not consistently mind you, but it has happened.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I remember a post from a few years ago about pocket knives. I’ve carried a pocket knife on me (yes even in school and church) since I was 8 years old. I can’t imagine not having a knife on me. Anyway, according to that thread a lot of guys NEVER carry a knife and can’t imagine why they’d need one. Things change.

Then again, I fly fish, shoot black powder guns, use Morse Code with my Ham Radio, and use words like “contraption” or “dasn’t” so I’m certifiably a dinosaur. Gag-nabbit!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Grouse

I can’t argue with you there. ;)

Although, I’m 34 and I still do everything you do excep buy CDs. What’s a cd?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“Although, I’m 34 and I still do everything you do excep buy CDs. What’s a cd?”

It’s a lot like an 8-track except it’s thinner and rounder. And you don’t get a “per-klunk” in the middle of a song.

jerry b
    western WI

I’m also tossing in my hat for membership. I carry a Buck pocket knife that has been rebuilt twice. Own and listen to a casette player and own boxes of tapes to go with it. I also have a Weber, but on regular occasions have been known to cook dinner on a campfire in the yard. Nearly all my camp cooking and home heating is done by personnaly cut and split firewood. I own but hate new vehicles because I don’t understand how to work on the new stuff. I drive my beater truck so if it quits I’m not at the mercy of the repair shops- -jerr

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve carried a pocket knife on me (yes even in school and church) since I was 8 years old. I can’t imagine not having a knife on me.

Then again, I fly fish, shoot black powder guns, use Morse Code with my Ham Radio, and use words like “contraption” or “dasn’t” so I’m certifiably a dinosaur. Gag-nabbit!

Well, there’s a few more to add to my Signs You’re Obsolete List:

– I carry a pocket knife. Every day. Even at work.
    – I have used the word “conniption” at least once within the last week. Much to my wife’s distress, my boys say things like, “I have to pee like a Russian racehorse.” I have no idea where they got that.
    – I have a set of tools in my SUV. Right next to the jumper cables and the tow straps. Near the tire chains. No, really.
    – While we’re on the subject, I actually still actually DRIVE an SUV. Not a “crossover” vehicle. I could never drive a “crossover” vehicle because every time somebody says that, I look around for a vehicle dressed in ladies clothing.

Now least some get the wrong idea, I have an iPad, I have smartphone, I have digital music loaded to the smartphone, etc, etc. It’s just for some reason, things I thought everyone did, had, knew how to use, etc have suddenly become strange and noteworthy oddities.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I sharpen AND balance my own mower blades too! I change my own oil as well.
    And I own chainsaws!! I did however just hire a guy to trim some branches over my roof. He had to scale the tree with those climber boots. I don’t have those…

Sharon
    SE Metro

While out with a friend of mine the other day, I said “Hang on, let me get my pocket knife.” She looked at me funny. And then REALLY looked at me funny when I pulled out my 2.75″ buck knife. She exclaimed “THAT’S not a pocket knife, it’s huge!” Well, it’s no dainty girly knife, I’ll give you that. ) I like using real tools.

Not only am I amazed at what people don’t know HOW to do these days (change oil, fix stuff, use a chainsaw, cook over open fire, etc.) I’m more amazed at the fact that people are unwilling to learn. I hear it all the time at work: “Can you help me? I don’t know how!” Whatever happened to rolling up your sleeves and figuring @#%$ out?

wannaplay

I didnt see anywhere about you sharpening your chainsaw blade….

btw, what are the dimensions of a cord of wood…no peeking now.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m 33 and I fit into all the above categories with the exception of owning a chainsaw–for that, I have several B-I-L’s and friends. I borrow and let them take care of the maintenance. )

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m 33 and I fit into all the above categories with the exception of owning a chainsaw–for that, I have several B-I-L’s and friends. I borrow and let them take care of the maintenance. )

redneck
    Rosemount

4 foot by 4 foot by 8 foot for a cord. Bedroom cord is 4 foot by 8 foot and one stack deep. I am definitely obsolete or I just call it being a dinosaur. Common sense isn’t common anymore. I was out with a group a while back and we came out to a flat tire. They were talking Triple A or AA or some such drinking letters. I put on the mini spare—dropped the ladies off at a store and went to Walmart. Mini compressor and plug kit and 20 minutes later the tire was fixed. I carry a pocket knife all the time and in the trunk of my car is a small floor jack and a 4 way. I have used it many more times helping others that changing my own tires. I consider every day a challenge and like to see how I can cut corners. I always say that being poor is not fun but it sure takes up your time. This has been a fun thread and I have many more examples.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I didnt see anywhere about you sharpening your chainsaw blade….

Well, chainsaws don’t have “blades”… But I do sharpen my own chains. But just to prove I’m a not trapped in the stone age of the 1990s, I do so using a Dremal tool.

Not only am I amazed at what people don’t know HOW to do these days (change oil, fix stuff, use a chainsaw, cook over open fire, etc.) I’m more amazed at the fact that people are unwilling to learn. I hear it all the time at work: “Can you help me? I don’t know how!” Whatever happened to rolling up your sleeves and figuring @#%$ out?

I think that’s key. This modern, disposable life doesn’t require “figuring things out”, because there is seldom the necessity to do so. So therefore when people really NEED to do so, they can’t. And they stand beside the road like lost sheep.

Two years ago I was driving in Woodbury and it happened to be snowing really hard. The car ahead of me lost track of the road and hooked a tire on the shoulder and slid into a shallow ditch.

So I stopped and got out and out of the car gets this woman, I’d say in her 30s. She looks at me kind of funny, just because I had stopped and I said are you ok? She said yes, but I’m going to have to get a tow truck.

I said that’s going to take many hours on a night like this, how about I just hook on and tow you out.

I got that look again. And then again when I brought out the recovery straps and the shovel.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I sometimes pee in my backyard just because I can. Does that count for anything?

shockers
    Rochester

Only sometimes?

I grew up on a farm. That’s what grass is for.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is another one that get’s the strange look. The simple act of bending over and picking up a penny off the ground. Don’t know exactly what it is, but I do get some, albeit small sense of satisfaction.

Didn’t your mom ever tell you…. “See a penny, pick it up, for the rest of the day you’ll have good luck” ???

-J.

Noah Apples

chain saws are incredibly dangerous…. I can’t believe you don’t need a license to use them. I used one once and don’t plan on it again.

Noah

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Talking about weird looks, you should see all the ones I get driving home while trying to enjoy my beer, what’s with people????

Mocha
    Park Rapids

CD’s? I can’t afford cd’s they only pay about 1-3%. Who can live on that?

I pee in my front yard because I can and I enjoy it:)

jerry b
    western WI

Talking about weird looks, you should see all the ones I get driving home while trying to enjoy my beer, what’s with people????

What’ll really get’m excited is when I wing my Crown bottle over the top of the truck at a road sign. Takes a lotta practice to score when you’re cruising about 80- – jerr

tucrs
    NW Metro

I still own a 8 track… For my car.

The other car has no seat belts, heat, electric anything or a rear seat. My wife asked why it has three pedals too… She never knew that you had to shift a car.

I own multiple Coleman lanterns, one from Pre WWII and I use it every ice fishing season. I carry a pocket knife because this is American and I am still free.

We are getting to the real issue of the kids now days will not know how to do anything. Like change a tire, open a beer bottle or replace a cap and rotor on their car (that may date me a little too).

My kid hopefully will absorb everything I can teach him so he can be one of the few one weekends that actually works on stuff. Just like my dad did with me.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Can I get in? Still drive a vehicle with crank up windows.

Also keeping track of all you guys that own chainsaws. Might need some lessons on cutting trees and stacking wood.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

CDs are obsolete. Paper newspapers are nostalgic. Owning tools and knowing how to use them certainly is not obsolete, and shouldn’t be nostalgic. Anyway, you and your neighbor could probably learn a lot from each other!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I sometimes pee in my backyard just because I can. Does that count for anything?

Yes, but peeing on her “back yard” is just plain wrong.

shockers
    Rochester

I pee in my front yard because I can and I enjoy it:)
    [/quote]

Awesome.

Also. Jon is a key master too ?! I thought James was the only key master. Now I’m confused.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

It’s a two edge sword though. At work when it comes to efficiently and quickly completing task thru Microsoft the younger crowd puts me to shame. I find myself asking “In Outlook how do you blah blah blah”.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Cutting wood w chainsaw, split, haul, stack, burn = therapy. Beats $5 LP & living inside of 4 walls.

Bring back the 12 oz. returnable beer bottles. Best beer there ever was… Dang they were ahead of their time with the concept of recycling. Why did it cease to be so popular?

Pocket knife? How could you exist w/o one?

The latest generation has been spoiled to the point of incapable except when it comes to remote controls, electronics and immediate gratification. Should be fun to observe…

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

We potty trained both our girls by letting them pee in the backyard. Our youngest laid a turd in the driveway last week. “Oh honey, Ali made you a present in front of the garage…”

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Just 32 and I fit a lot of these. Grew up in a household where the newest piece of farm equipment was 20 years older than me, so no stranger to fixing things. Definitely agree there has been a big swing in the mindset of ‘kids’ coming into the workforce now, right down to a willingness to work let along a self reliance attitude.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.