Starved Rock.

• tony_apisa
    Participant
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

John Mannerino and I got out for a few hours on Friday. We were pitching plastics up by the dam and caught 30+ keepers in 3 hours. These fish really had the feed bag on. In the one picture you can see that this sauger still had a stinger in her mouth when she hit John’s offering. All fish were CPRed. Thanks Wapo!

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Way cool, sounds like a blast Tony

tony_apisa
    Participant

It was a blast Bret. We were anchored in the same spot the whole time. The only thing we had to changer were the plastics. It was the best three hours a guy could ask for.

john-tucker
    Participant
    Northwest Illinois

Congrats guys, wish I could’ve been there to hone the trigger a little. It seems a bit rusty this spring….

scott_taylor
    Participant
    SE Michigan

Very nice. One of these days I’m gonna have to make a trip back to my home state and fish the Illinois River for sauger. I was born and raised in northern Illinois but always fished north of the border. Never knew about the sauger fishery until recently and haven’t caught one yet so they’re on my target list. What size would a sauger have to be to be considered a trophy?

JasonCarl
    Participant

sounds like fun

scott_taylor
    Participant
    SE Michigan

I’m also curious how bad the Asian Carp are in that stretch of the river?

tony_apisa
    Participant

Hey Scott. A trophy Sauger on the Illinois to me is one over 3+ pounds. I know that some over 4 pounds have been caught lately. The Asian Carp can get pretty thick in that stretch of the river. They are not that active right now. Soon as the water starts to warm they will be flying.

scott_taylor
    Participant
    SE Michigan

Thanks Tony. All the fishermen here (including myself) and the politicians are very worried about them getting here. It would really be another blow to the economy here if they do. Seems like the politicians there could care a less…..pretty sad if you ask me.

The Detroit River walleye fishing here is still in transition water still cold and ice flows still coming down. Should be prime time in a few weeks. I hope to get out in a couple weekends from now, can’t wait I’ve got withdrawals.

john mannerino
    Participant
    Chicago IL

Always fun fishin with ya bud. Cant wait to do it again. I would bet it`s going to take 32lbs to win this weekend. The fish are just starting to spawn and there are some horses up there.

tony_apisa
    Participant

I bet those big gals really have the feedbag on now. Too bad we didn’t boat some of those hogs that we dumped on Friday. It’s going to be a zoo up by the dam this weekend.

illiniwalli
    Participant
    WC Illinois

Hey, I know that spot!!!
    i was easin in there yesterday but there was half a dozen pro tuna boats on it prefishin for the mwc, so i backed out.
    from what i saw, it looked like the bite slowed somewhat. didnt see many caught.
    it was tough in that 25 mph wind. i managed to hook a dozen, most 15-17″ – all jiggin.
    lost a big one i hooked off a rock bar downstream. 2 big head shakes and she was gone.
    water temp was 50, so i’d say the spawn is on.

john mannerino
    Participant
    Chicago IL

Yep they are spawning now for the next 2-3 weeks. Bigger fish downriver. Tony I sure would like to go down where we were in the fall. I`ll bet it loaded there.

tony_apisa
    Participant

Let’s go Wapo. I bet they are just stacked in that spot. Maybe we can get Trigger and Muskrat to go.

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

Hmmmmmmmmmm, so this is where all the important people are hanging out!
    And to think I suckered down to catfishing the Miss. River.
    Very nice fish there men.

tony_apisa
    Participant

Herb,Herb,Herb. Catfishing!

john mannerino
    Participant
    Chicago IL

Herb are things that bad there? LOL How you doing bud. Long time no talk.

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

To be honest since the river down here has been messed up for so long, I did start catfishing again and found it’s sorta fun and just as easy as it always was.
    Also, I thought if Larry H. could do it, so could I.

illiniwalli
    Participant
    WC Illinois

i’ve been outted!!
    i wasnt gonna tell anyone about that sign on the back of your lund, herb … but i owe ya.
    … “Sheeps R Us”

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

Almost a sign of the the times I guess Larry.

I actually put that on there for the ‘giggle’ factor.

I’ve never been on the Ill. river but the scenery in those photos is mighty pretty.

The background that is.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.