If you had to choose 1 rod for walleye

• Tedd Johnson

What would it be? I know the pros have a different rod for every one of their thousands of lures but most of have to work all week support a family and if we are lucky get a few hours to fish on a weekend but can’t have hundreds of rods so all the marketing and sponsor hype aside what is the best general purpose walleye rod? And what reel would you pair it with.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m not sure if you’re looking specifically for a brand but I’d have a 7′ M XF for pitching jigs. When it comes to brand, I’d be looking more for a custom rod rather than say a St. Croix or G Loomis. Even if you get a custom rod you’d probably be getting a Croix or Loomis blank.

Sam Slaby
    Sioux Falls

I am freshly out of college and pretty much all my money goes to pay that off. I bought a 13 Fishing White out and love it! I bought it as the combo and just left that reel on. I used green Suffix 832 in 6 lb test and then I tie a fluorocarbon leader. I believe the one I have is a 28″ medium or medium light I can’t remember. I’d love to get my hands on a higher end rod but with a wedding in Mexico in a few months and preparing for a reception back in Sioux Falls doesn’t leave me much extra at the end of the month otherwise I’d look into it more! I am interested what others are going to say about this thread. Maybe I’ll get the fiance to buy me an early Christmas present woot woot

Tedd Johnson

Not looking for a specific brand but should have mentioned for ice fishing I know certain sponsers get recommend cause they are sponsered here and that’s fine but don’t want just those mentioned what does everyone really use for ice fishing walleye like the title says if you had to choose only one rod…

tucrs
    NW Metro

Personally 32″ TUCR Precision split grip. I can do everything with that one rod from fishing light spoons to #4 Ripping Raps.

Sedona 500FD

4# line (still working on finding the ultimate choice)

AaronMoore

For me, it would be between TB Perch sweetheart or DH Walleye stinger. The stinger is a little stiffer than the TB rod. Both great. These two rods are the most used by myself, I have others but I like these the best.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Thorne bros perch sweetheart! I’ve fished with and owned the other custom rod makers listed in this thread. They’ve since been sold and replaced with Thorne bros rods. Awesome rods with service that can’t be matched.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Thorne bros perch sweetheart! I’ve fished with and owned the other custom rod makers listed in this thread. They’ve since been sold and replaced with Thorne bros rods. Awesome rods with service that can’t be matched.

X2 oh the Perch Sweetheart. Very, very versatile rod. If you’re going to splurge on one rod only(as I did) then this is a good choice. I have no regrets. Last friday I ended up using it for crappies. Was it the perfect choice, no. Was it versatile enough to get the job done, that’s it’s best aspect.

Sorry, I don’t have experience with TUCR or DH to compare. I’m sure they have an equivalent action in their line ups that would work just as well.

Reels – I’m not reel picky doah so I just got something workable for that.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Based on the rods I own I recommend either the TB Perch Sweetheart or the DH Walleye Stinger if you fish heavier lures. I haven’t used the TUCR Precision or Power Precisiom but so have a Quicktip that is a little too lite in my opinion for eyes unless you cut some of the tip off. Another option is the DH Al Dente with about 2″ cut off the tip, I never would. Have though it would work but a buddy broke his tip and it works great for eyes.

Reel: I like Shimano (Sedona or Sahara) or the Tica Cetus SE (comes with a spare metal spool).

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not looking for a specific brand but should have mentioned for ice fishing I know certain sponsers get recommend cause they are sponsered here and that’s fine but don’t want just those mentioned what does everyone really use for ice fishing walleye like the title says if you had to choose only one rod…

I didn’t realize it was posted in the ice fishing forum. My fault.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

If I only could choose one rod it would be a medium light rod with a sensitive enough tip to be able to feel every movement of a light spoon yet have a strong enough backbone to still be able to drive the hooks home with a firm but not “home run” type hook-set. You’ll want it long enough to take up slack for big head-shakes and help pick up line on the hook set but short enough to fish inside a portable which to me says 30-32″ length. You’re also going to want lightweight guides that won’t freeze up in cold weather. IMO the only way you’ll find a rod to adequately meet those specs is to go custom.

Also my opinion is that the best rod to meet those Specs is a Tuned-Up Custom Precision with Rec guides… That’s not to say that there aren’t other custom rods out there that are also great rods, but between myself and several friends that I’ve referred none of us has had a bad experience working with the boys at Tuned-Up.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Put me down for the TUCR Precision too. It covers a wide range of baits in different sizes with complete control of your jig strokes. I run anything from 1/12 oz spoons to number 7 jigging raps and rippin raps on mine. I can easily feel the bite on 3″ walleye and handle the fight of a 30″ laker without a worry. In my opinion, that’s one versatile rod!
    I have 7 Sedonas now, I prefer the 500 series on my walleye rods. I will not likely switch from those reels for a while.

Tedd Johnson

I see Thorne brothers and TUCR sticking out the most will do some research on these two but I’m sure either one will be more than good for me! Thanks for all the replies now to just find some eyes….

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

If you decide to buy a custom, you’ll be happy with any of the 3 builders mentioned. I’d call them all to get their feedback which will give you a good idea of who you want to buy from. Another important aspect is turnaround time depending on when you want the rod. They will have to tell you where that stands.

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

You absolutely do not have to get custom!! fenwick makes some sweet rods for ice fishing I own 4 of there elite tech ice rods and I can feel a fish fart by them also has great backbone! They run under 35$ and are awesome rods to say the least!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

You absolutely do not have to get custom!! fenwick makes some sweet rods for ice fishing I own 4 of there elite tech ice rods and I can feel a fish fart by them also has great backbone! They run under 35$ and are awesome rods to say the least!

Truthfully if you’re happy with the Fenwicks hold out as long as you can because once you go custom it’s hard to go back laugh

muskiefever
    North Metro

x2 on Fenwick, I love my 27″ Med. Another great walleye rod is the Jason Mitchell Spring Bobber. I believe I have the 24″, for the price it could be the most versatile rod out there!

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

27.5″ White Out from 13 Fishing its a ML with a good tip and a backbone.

Brad Anderson
    Minnesota

I just switched over from elite techs, to an arsenal of tuned up customs. Those elite techs will never see my reels on again. Imo not even a comparison. I’ll save the elite techs for my two year old though. He needs a good starter rod next year.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Truthfully if you’re happy with the Fenwicks hold out as long as you can because once you go custom it’s hard to go back

The nice thing about custom is the longer lengths you can get. There are only a couple rods out there that I’ve seen that are longer than 28″. It’s nice having the longer rods for comfort and easier to control the head of the fish.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Its all a bunch of tomfoolery and skullduggery. A few years back everyone was carrying on and mouth breathing about TB rods, now its TUCR, in a few years it will be some other company that sells its soul to the devil. A mid grade off the shelf rod will catch just as many fish as a pimped out custom. The purpose of a hand built custom rod should be having it built to YOUR taste with the components, length, and action YOU want. A mass produced rod is not a “custom”. If you want a good rod at a fair price take a look at the Loomis signature series Temple Fork Hardwater rod. It’s a great rod at a fair price.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Its all a bunch of tomfoolery and skullduggery. A few years back everyone was carrying on and mouth breathing about TB rods, now its TUCR, in a few years it will be some other company that sells its soul to the devil. A mid grade off the shelf rod will catch just as many fish as a pimped out custom. The purpose of a hand built custom rod should be having it built to YOUR taste with the components, length, and action YOU want. A mass produced rod is not a “custom”. If you want a good rod at a fair price take a look at the Loomis signature series Temple Fork Hardwater rod. It’s a great rod at a fair price.

I don’t disagree that you can catch as many fish with an off the shelf rod, but do I personally enjoy it as much? No.

I also agree that if you buy a rod off the shelf from the likes of TB or TUCR it’s not “custom” in the way you refer to it. But if you call and ask for specific colors, length and guides it is. They are all built by guys and gals that you can go speak with and shake hands with, that’s something you can’t do with any off the shelf rod because they are almost all made in China. When was the last time anyone called Fenwick and spoke to the Rod builder? That’s not a slam on the rods, but one of the big differences in buying a custom rod vs off the shelf.

Dtro I do not totally disagree with you and respect a lot of the stuff you post on forums but do feel that if someone has the means to buy custom rods they should at least consider it. If someone wants a custom rod for less than $50 than start making them yourself (that’s what I did this year).

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I agree as I have a few very nice custom rods myself. If you want to spend the money and if it makes your time on the ice or water more enjoyable, heck yeah! But, don’t be fooled into thinking you need to spend more than 30 or 40 bucks to get a great quality rod that will last several years and catch lots of fish. Also there are a LOT of respectable custom rod builders out there that will make exactly what you want, not just the same big two always mentioned.

darkstar72
    Chicago Suburbs

There’s always another option; learn to build your own.

I started down that path a few years ago and I love it!

I get to pick the components and build a rod to do exactly what I want it to do.

Plus it’s a hoot to catch fish on a rod you built!

onepine
    Elk River

DH Custom AlDente best walleye rod I’ve ever owned. I am a sight fisherman and hate using bobbers or spring bobbers. Only objection I have are the handles. I like real seats and they use a cork handle with the rubber bands which is a huge step up from the black tape but I use my reels summer and winter.

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

I get to pick the components and build a rod to do exactly what I want it to do.

What kind of equipment goes into building your own rods kinda curious?

darkstar72
    Chicago Suburbs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Darkstar72 wrote:</div>

What kind of equipment goes into building your own rods kinda curious?

Hi Mike,

So I don’t hijack the post I’ll limit my answer to a link to Mudhole’s web site. They have basic hand-wrap jigs that work well at a price point and traveling classes to teach the basics. http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Building-Your-First-Custom-Fishing-Rod

Tedd Johnson

Personally 32″ TUCR Precision split grip. I can do everything with that one rod from fishing light spoons to #4 Ripping Raps.

Sedona 500FD

4# line (still working on finding the ultimate choice)
    [/quote

I hope you guys will have some good deals on this at the St Paul ice show or maybe just for the IDO community wink

tom hopkins

The devil is in the details when it comes to rods. Open water or ice. And you do get what you pay for. You need to ask your self what you expect to get from a rod. If your casting top water action lures are you gonna get that exact action out of the lure that you want with a less responsive tip? Pitching jigs can you feel every rock or where the bottom changes from sand to mud? Can you tell when you lost your minnow or is your minnow is swimming or dead by feeling or weight. That is what you are paying for with a with a high end rod. Ice rods are the same. Are having those details Available to you worth the $$ to me yes. And after owning Thorne Bros and tucr both are great rods. I am now switching my gear from Thorne Bros to tucr. I have 2 32″ precision split grip. One has noodle tip. My reason for this is personal preference. I like the feel of tucr more. I fish with mostly 1/8 Oz spoons. As far as open water goes I use g.loomis walleye series 7ft med light ex fast action. I primary pitch jigs and plastics. To put it simple the rod is an extension of my self. I can tell if something isn’t swimming right I can tell bottom types by feel. And I’m not gonna miss a hit Or waste time fishing a lure that is tangled or has no bait. Try going to the store and holding the rod in your hand while a sale person holds the tip of the rod to their throat or Adams apple and have then talk. You will feel it. That detail elevate your game.

red89
    Hudson

I have had a hard time finding a non-custom rod that had a taper and power that I liked. I went to Joes during their customer appreciation sale today and picked up a 30″ ML st. croix avid for 20% off. Has good backbone, but soft enough where I think I could use it for big perch and walleyes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.