Electric Fillet Knife Review, from an old fart!

• cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

thats sweet, I posted that in part because I was amazed at how fast that guy could fillet that fish, and also in part because I truly was curious. I like to fillet them the long way where you get all the meat off the rib cage and that seems like it would be tough with the electric knife. Good to know its possible though!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nope. I’d never seen a fish filleted that way until moving to Mn. In my opinion, it’s a huge waste of meat or the guys I’ve seen do it are terrible fish cleaners. Either way, I’ll take my electric over a blade every day of the week when it comes to cleaning a bucket of fish. Anything bigger than a panfish, I can even rib them with an electric. This does look like a great method for pannies if you got a super sharp knife.

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

In case anyone missed it….

Cleaning panfish with an Electric knife with Chris Tuckner

-J.

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

what Cade posted is what I do, except I will come back toward the rib cage when I punch through by the anal fin, then take off toward the tail, seem to pick up a bit more meat behind the ribs.

cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I’ll see if I can post a video next time I clean fish. I’d say I get about 10% more meat cleaning fish that way than I do if I just cut through the rib cage and then slice around it when finished. The difference is more apparent when cleaning larger fish like crappies, walleyes, and perch. If done correctly, you get the thick piece (above and behind the rib cage) that you would normally get, plus you get a thin piece of meat that you carefully slice off the top of the rib cage.

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

I will call Bull-Puckie if anyone thinks they are getting more meat using a conventional filet knife over an electric filet knife and if you are……it is because you are not letting the electric knife do the work or you gave up before finding your knack with the electric knife!
    When I remove the ribs you can read lawyer print at the bottom of the page through what is left, same with the rest of the skeleton

Nice video Tuck, thanks for bringing it back up Jon!

Pat Howard
    Participant
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

X 2 Making me want to buy one now

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont kill enough fish each year to justify the expense considering how good I am with a filet knife.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If we would have had digital cameras back in the day in SD, OMG the stringer pics of 18 – 24″ walleyes.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

X 2 Making me want to buy one now

X3 on the nice video. Only difference in cleaning fish for me is I’ve been using a manual blade.

cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I will call Bull-Puckie if anyone thinks they are getting more meat using a conventional filet knife over an electric filet knife and if you are……it is because you are not letting the electric knife do the work or you gave up before finding your knack with the electric knife!

I’ve never used an electric knife, but I’m sure you get just as much meat with it. What I mean is the method in which you cut the fillet off the bone. The way Tuck showed it was pretty sweet. That’s pretty efficient. What I meant was that if you just cut the side off and then carve around the rib cage you miss all of the meat that is on top of the rib cage. However, the way that Tuck did it does get that meat.

milemark_714
    Participant

Quote:

I agree with you on the blade release on the rapala, not the best spot to have it by any means. Did you get the one that has the attatchments for the ac for your vehicle and for a battery? Well that’s the one that i got and wasn’t a big fan of it. I didn’t like the plastic carrying case that it came with. It was a very tight fit for the knife and the cord. With that, after each use you would really have to cram the knife and wrap the cord fairly tight to get the knife in the slot and also for the fronts to lock. Mine only lasted 2 years and there is now a short in it where the cord comes into the knife because of having to cram that cord in the case. The mister twister is a good knife as well and somehow mine came up missing after a fishing trip so I needed one asap and got the American Angler knife. I have had good luck with it so far even though I don’t believe it will last long because like you said it gets awful hot after 8-10 fish and that is definately not a good thing. We’ll see I guess.

The rapala unit makes a good handwarmer when cleaning cold fish .

efknives
    Participant

It’s that time a year again, if you are looking to load up your tackle box with a new electric fillet knife we have all our models currently on sale including American Angler, Rapala, and Mister Twitster (Yellow and Green or the Piranha). We setup a special Free Shipping Code just for IDOFISHING members. Use code idf-2012 as the dicount code on the cart page and during check out you will get free 2-3 day priority shipping on your entire order.
    Only at http://www.electricfilletknives.com

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.