Tip down plans

• Matt Hall
    Participant
    Mount Horeb, WI

I’m getting the itch to make something ice fishing related. If anyone has plans or suggestions for making a few tip-downs please feel free to share here.

Matt

Richard V.
    Participant
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Here is a link to one that I thought was interesting. Maybe you could send him a PM.

There was another one I liked but I cannot find the post.

Matt Hall
    Participant
    Mount Horeb, WI

Thanks guys! PM sent.

timmy
    Participant

I just took the same cheap rods that were featured in the IDO show and ground a deep groove in the plastic handle using side pressure from a 1/2″ drill bit. I ground the groove on the bottom side just a hair in front of the balance point. This lets the rod rest in the nearly upright position on the edge of a 5 gallon bucket – and it pivots down with minimal pressure.

My goal was to not have to carry any extra crap with me – and I always had a bucket or two with me anyways…..The rod works fine like this – and there is nothing extra to carry and no pins, dowels, or brackets to lose or break. Very simple.

T

icenutz
    Participant
    Aniwa, WI

How to Build Tip Downs

The tip downs fold flat and fit in a 5 gal. bucket for carrying. Once your hole is drilled, unfold the tip down tie the pole to the stand, (don’t forget to tie it to the stand) drop the line down the hole to measure depth. Remember that the pole will be sitting in the tip down at an upright angle, so a lot of line will be between the end of the pole and the top of the hole. Put on a minnow and wait for it to tip down.

One of the key things that we found was where to screw the top brace that is just below the pole. This brace actually holds the pole at the desired angle according to it’s height on the upright, we found about 1″ from the top worked for us. You can also tilt the upright at any angle to fine tune how easy the rod will tip down. You want it to tip down with very little resistance. Sometimes if it is windy you will need to pack ice shavings or snow on the base and point the pole into the wind or you will be chasing false tip downs. We also glued our braces once we figured out the best placement, they are as solid as a rock. Almost forgot, you need to cut grooves in the top of the upright for the pole to rest in, I use aluminum ties for chain link fence for the rod that goes through the fish pole handle. Drill a hole in the handle of the pole 7/32” so that the aluminum rod fits snug in it. The aluminum is easy to bend if needed for fine adjustments.

All that is needed is the listed below. We used scrap wood, so it only cost us about $15.00 each including the jig pole, which you can buy from sportsmansguide.com or most sporting goods shops for $10.00 or a little less.

2 – 1″ square by 18″ long pieces of hardwood This will make up the base

2 – 1″ square by 16″ long pieces of hardwood This will make up the upright portion

3 – 5 1/2″ by 2 1/2″ by 1/4″ thick pieces of pressed board or Plywood used to hold the base and the upright together, 2 go on the base and one on the upright.

2 – 2 1/4 ” by 1/4 carriage bolts and 2 – 1/4 wing nuts, these are used to bolt the base and upright together

12 – small wood screws to screw the pressed board to the base and uprights.

1 – piece of 5-6 ft. nylon string to tie the pole to the base so the pole doesn’t get pulled down the hole by a Walleye or Northern.

1 – 4″ piece of aluminum chain link fence tie for the rod that goes through the handle.

Some Gorilla Glue for gluing the rod in the pole handle and the pieces of pressed board to the frame.

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

Save yourself some time and order some already built from IceNutz. Haven’t had time to use them yet but I surely do like the 6 I got from him.

icenutz
    Participant
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Save yourself some time and order some already built from IceNutz. Haven’t had time to use them yet but I surely do like the 6 I got from him.

Thanks Herb, hope you get some ice so you can see how well they work. If you have any questions on setting up the other poles let me know would be glad to help out.

Matt Hall
    Participant
    Mount Horeb, WI

IceNutz – I just sent a few PM’s your direction but they aren’t showing in my sent folder. Can you PM me a price on the tip-downs?

Thanks much,

Matt

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.