Ice Flies

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Those sure are pretty Chris, but I got lost or maybe you didn’t say. Did you tie these?

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Quote:

Did you tie these?

If he did those Copper John Nymphs Look amazing! I really like the Prince Nymph pattern as well. I just got done tying a few of those so I am glad to know that someone has already caught fish on the ice with them. Chris, what is the largest pattern with the rubber tarantula legs? that ones looks amazing!

fil
    Alberta, Canada

who wants some orders?? lol

great looking flies, funny how a thread gains and looses and gains popularity again! I NEED to sit down and tie, I think tonight is a brewski / vice night

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Thought I would give and update! Went out yesterday,(Sun) with my brother for the first time this year! I know, right? Anyways, we didn’t catch anything of size at all. Biggest fish we caught was 6″ gill. The news that I have though is the bloodworm pattern that I tied and posted in my last batch of photos is the @#%&! I caught close to twenty fish in a couple hours. Every fish but one was caught on that pattern. I had the fly about 10-12″ above a bubble gum pink ratso on a dropper loop. Just used a square knot to attatch the fly to the loop.

I tried fishing the fly with no bait on it and with bait. Used a single red spike for 5 fish, then switch to just the fly itself. Then back to the fly with the spike. It didn’t matter if I had the spike on or not, the fish would hit that above the ratso everytime. I was also useing 2# test line.

Like I said, the fish were small so no pictures, and I know I should have taken one of a fish with the fly in its’ mouth but hindsight is 20/20.
    Just thought I would give you an update. Hoping to get out and try a differnt pattern this next weekend. Good fishing and stay safe!

Zach

PS – my brother was useing everything that he had in his box to try and catch fish. We were only fishing a couple yards apart. I out-fished him 5-6 to 1. I didn’t tell him untill we got back on shore what I had tied on above my ratso.

fil
    Alberta, Canada

sorry i missed you messages lastnight, im out of town working and just left my computer on without signing out.
    thats awesome man, im jealous, im fighting to even find a day to get on the ice.. its sick, making me mad. have gear to test, articles to write and no time to do ANY of it!!
    try and get some pictures next time, blood worms are awesome patterns, most guys use them tied as a ‘wire worm’ with color coated wire wrapped around the hook with black heads as the collars etc etc. and dont even realize its a blood worm pattern lol

cheers bud!

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Quote:

have gear to test, articles to write and no time to do ANY of it!!

Well I could always help you out with the gear testing part!

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Thought that I would dig up this thread again and share a couple of new patterns that I have tied. They are all untested but I will be giving them a go and letting you all know how they work. The two really buggy looking things are variations of a pattern called the Cricket Nymph. The one with the rubber legs I call a Hot Legs Cricket Nymph and the other is actually tied so that it glows in the dark and I have no idea what to name that one so if you guys have any ideas feel free to take a shot. The three flies that are in the cork are all tied with a product called Squirmy Wormy. It is made by Spirit River. I love the stuff! When it gets in the water it moves like one of those giant dancing guys that are powered by a fan. Anyways, the two on the ends are glow and the one in the middle is non-glow. Let me know what you think and I do take orders for flies. If you are interested PM me.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.