How do you haul your ice fishing gear on an ATV

• KJK
    Participant
    Cottage Grove

Iam curious to see how all you guys set up your atv to haul your ice fishing gear. The auger mount on the front is a no brainer, but looking for some ideas/tips to haul the minnow bucket, vex, buckets, poles etc.. Iam guessing that this topic has probably be discussed, but I can’t find any previous posts.
    Thanks in advance.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

With me everything ends up in the Otter.

Marcum, underwater camera, rods in rod packs, small tackle boxes in the same rod packs, scooper and minnow bucket… with plenty of room left over for anything else I can’t stand to leave at home.

tslonek
    Participant
    Coon Rapids,Mn

I have 3 plastic milk boxes mounted on the back of my wheeler. A 5 gallon pail fits perfectly in them.

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I put the spendy stuff in a Lock N Ride box on the back, auger on the front, and the rest goes in the sled of the portable.

KJK
    Participant
    Cottage Grove

Thanks for the reply James.
    Ya that sounds like a real good way to go, unfortunatey the new otter is not in the budget for me this year.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Those gear carriers are pretty slick. I could see making good use of one. If your budget is tight you might want to consider buying the sled this season and the poles and cover next season.

An otter medium sled is a little over $100 and you can haul everything and the kitchen sink in it.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/shelters/otter/sled_medium.html

Mr. Dandorn… that carrier looks very nice. Where did you get that one and, if you don’t mind me asking, how much was it?

KJK
    Participant
    Cottage Grove

Thanks for the replies
    All very good ideas.

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Depends on how far I plan on going most of the time, I’m not going too far, and just strap things down and go.

If I were running and gunning or I did a lot of ice fishing, I would invest the money on some hard boxes to go on the wheeler, proper setup goes a long way to making sure you don’t lose things and they are easy to access and use when on the ice.

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I was thinking about getting one of these as well.
    Although it sounds like they need to work out the mounting system if you read the product reviews.

Bucket holder @ Cabela’s

matt_grow
    Participant
    Albertville MN

I use the Otter Monster Box. I don’t fish with a house often so its really nice to throw everything in it. I can fit everything I need in there except the auger. This year I’m going to pick up a few accessories for it, such as the gas tank and buck holder. It truly is a wonderful thing. It has a lock on it. I have the medium box and its huge. The large is truly a monster. Otter monster box

birddog
    Participant
    Mn.

Here’s my machine and how it’s set up. I find it works well, everything has it’s place. The front is a cabelas basket with a mad dog auger mount. I use this space for minnow bucket, vexilar and shovel. The rear has a Kolpin drop basket. I use it’s space for a propane tank and a box I made for my Mr. heater/cooker and hose. Can fit 3-5 gallon buckets if I needed. Attached to the inside of drop basket is a atv bag on each side, use them for extras…straps, tools, bungies, snatch blocks…etc. On top of the rear basket is another atv “bag” or series of bags. I use these for extra pins/clips, tools, etc…

Windshield and Ram mount for the H2O and hand warmers.

I tow a voyager rigged with 3 sets of rope lights, a couple small totes filled with vex batteries, tackle box’s, radio, pliers, lighters, etc. I keep a foam mat in the bottom for the sled for under the feet and my altered arrow case for rods/reels. I use a “tidy cat” plastic litter container for my fish, it’s the perfect width, height for the sled.

It works well for me, everything has it’s place.

BIRDDOG

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

That’s an awful good looking wheeler used in those photos.

Cant wait to see other’s photos now that I got something to rig on.

DaveI
    Participant

Otter Monster Box is a great way to go.

matt_grow
    Participant
    Albertville MN

Thats what what I’m talkin bout
    The Monster Boxes are saweet. Just throw it in the trunk and go

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Those are nice boxes!! How long have they been around?

Are they bolted on?

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

I am with James. Three milk crates in the Otter, and my heater and tank is secure….and my auger fits right over the top. Cover goes over all…and away I go! Minnow buckets ride well in milk crates too.

matt_grow
    Participant
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Those are nice boxes!! How long have they been around?

Are they bolted on?

They are bolted on. They’ve only been around since Jan 2007 I beleive.

timmy
    Participant

I built a box for the rear of my ATV. Auger straps on top of it with a lone bungee – held from sliding by some brackets. Teepee house straps on top of everything. I like this set-up because I can fish without pulling a trailer. ATV int eh back of the truck stays free of road salt….

I can haul everything I need for a day of spearing and angling in the evening afterwards without pulling a sled.

Tim

fish_any_time
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

I was thinking about getting one of these as well.
    Although it sounds like they need to work out the mounting system if you read the product reviews.

Bucket holder @ Cabela’s

I do have one of these and I’d say that you can get by. I have had the bucket bounce out with my gear spread across the ice once. I didn’t notice it missing for a few miles. Also the bucket tend to fill up with snow when traveling.

IMO the monster box is the way to go. I just need to squirl away some money to buy one.

thegun
    Participant
    mn

Here is what I came up with one afternoon when I was bored!

tyguy11
    Participant
    Alma Wi

Holy Cow TheguN, is that the kitchen sink I see?!!

But once you get out there, it looks like you’re set.

the_grump
    Participant
    Le Center

Wow, looks very effective, but I keep seeing the Beverly Hillbillies driving down Hollywood Blvd in my head.

ottomatica
    Participant
    Lino Lakes, MN

Give ME a call next time you’re bored…

thegun
    Participant
    mn

ya it does look a little like that! but ya know I just got so sick of everything bouncing around in the sled! I got a otter lodge as well and i had build dividers in that to keep things in there own area! still things would get broke!

This way everything rides on the wheelers suspension! I know it will be a little more loading and unloading but hopefully things wont get broke as much! I say as much cuz i know im hard on things and stuff will still break!

kooty
    Keymaster

I just found a steal of a deal on the large monster box. Matt is picking it up for me this week.

matt_grow
    Participant
    Albertville MN

I’m pretty sure you can fit all 3 kids in there

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I’m pretty sure you can fit all 3 kids in there

I have 6. I’ll take 2.

kooty
    Keymaster

A candle should keep them warm, I suppose??

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Nah. Tuff’n up or stay home.

Who am I kidding? They would have me in there while they got the house.

DaveI
    Participant

That’s the cool thing about hauling your stuff on the ATV, like in a Monster Box. Nothing bounces around in the sled, you can haul your ATV and all the gear right where it is, loaded and ready. Unload the ATV, hook-up the house and go. The Monster Box is even lockable if you stop to grab a bite to eat somewhere.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.