Jiffy auger problems

• tcfishing
    Participant
    Anoka, MN

I took off the carb. and sprayed her down with carb cleaner. I then put it all back togeather and adjusting the idle mix screw while runnig then adjusted the run mix screw until it sounded like it was starving for fuel while at full throttle. It run better that it did when it was new. before I had to run it with the choke at half way and push the primer bulb to keep it running. May be I was lucky or I do have some talent at fixing something.

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

The Tecumseh engines are very tight when new. It takes quite a few holes to break them in. I had to adjust my 2hp recently. I would say your engine was running to lean. Sounds like you got it licked..

schleppy
    Participant
    Onalaska, WI

I bought a new 3hp jiffy about 6 years ago and it would not run properly unless I kept pushing the primer. I took it in to a shop and the guy told me there was a recall on that particular carb and he replaced it for the cost of labor since the warranty was up. One of my friends got the same auger for christmas with the same problems. He eventually had to bring it in for the new carb.

Mark Steffes
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

With the help of mnzhunt & his neighor I got a carb kit in my auger & got it adjusted on the ice now it starts with one pull when cold & does a great job. Thanks for the input guy’s.

Clayton Munt
    Participant

I have a Jiffy 30 that I bought from a private party. When using it for the first time, the auger would get to full RPM while drilling a hole and then die.

Do you think that’s a dirty carb problem and just needs a good cleaning or do you think something else is going on.

I’m not a huge engine person, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Clay

mojogunter
    Participant

It sounds like it is starving for gas. Check to make sure the gas cap vent is open and not plugged. If that isn’t the issue, I would take the carb apart and clean it out.

Austin Root
    Participant

It’s a jiffy That s the problem. Strikemaster is the way to go if you want an auger that works.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.