Chisago Lakes Area Ice Conditions Question

• cav90
    Chisago City, MN

I’m thinking about heading out on one of the lakes in the Chisago Lakes areas tommorrow. Does anyone have an update on the ice conditions in this area? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I called frankies yesterday afternoon and he said 4-7 in prtected areas and people were out on wheelers already even though i wouldnt quite go that far yet

chomps
    Sioux City IA

my folks live on South Center, as of two days ago there were people on wheelers out in the bay by Pancake island. Also said he saw people in portables in several other areas.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Talked with Brad today at Frankies today. He said 4-7 at the most in protected areas, but he won’t be out with a wheeler for a couple more days.

North Lindstrom I saw a house and a perm on the south end about 100 yards from where there was open water on Monday.

North Center has got to have good ice. It’s been buttoned up for well over a week.

South Center may be good in the bays – he said around pancake island, but the main lake didn’t freeze over till Monday night.

I’m chomping at the bit but none too ready to be stupid. I’ll be out on the weekend.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

he always says Pancake Island Tough to find gills with any size, plenty to keep the kids entertained though. Sure is enough people after Large Mouth green carp, they don’t even put up a fight, and they taste even worse!

cav90
    Chisago City, MN

Thanks for all of the info. Looks like I might be heading tomorrow. Just one more question. I’ve fished South Center for years and for some reason have never heard of pancake island. Is it the island that is visible from hwy 8 east of center city? If it is whats the best way to access that area of the lake? I’ve fished primarily on south center during the summer and only ice fished the lake a handful of times.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

pancake is the island visable from hwy 8 on the eastern most part of the lake in that back bay near sunset point…it looks like a duck hunter type slough thats 8 to 12 feet across most of it..losts of cookie cutter fish but move around enough you you do get into pockets of bigger fish..I tend to find them fish out away from large packs of people on the main points

jhierlinger
    Lauderdale, MN

Where is the best place to park to get to Pancake Island? Never fished it but know the area well enough. Thanks for the help!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

depends on how much ice is out at sunset point most people park on the shore along sunset point cause there is no parking on the road there but i would figure out the ice thickness first cause it requaire you to drive a little bit of ice to as well

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

Hit the channel with the smallest shiners you can find. East side, real gradual sand/mud transition into deeper waters. this is a good early spot for that golden walleye hour.

Shhhhhh don’t tell anyone, it’s one of my secret spots.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’m not sure why, but I don’t think that the park at the end of Grand Ave has parking, they shut the gate. The old boat landing has people parking on the ice when it is thick enough. Most of the people park accross highway 8 on the access road, next to the auto repair shop, and walk.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Greg, are you referring to the narrows between Grand Ave. Point and Sunset Point? Some secret. There is always a ton of traffic in that area first ice. As with most areas, small changes make a big difference. Thre is a small depression or hole between Grand Ave. Point and Pancake Island, not too much larger than 10 feet in diameter, if you are there you are golden. Hard to tell what exactly the depth, depends on if the lake is up or not.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.