Clam 5600 ice shanty

• fishinkatt
    Participant
    N.E Wisconsin

Would like to know the pro’s and con’s of the clam 5600 ice shanty..

Thanks in advance.

John Luebker
    Participant

Hey Ibupnort – I spent the money on the 5600 deluxe last year. I will start with a couple of the cons.

1) it is a bigger shack if you only plan on fishing by yourself. (could also be a pro ) 2) If your boots have a lot of snow or ice build up the floor can be a little slick. 3) One day the wind was blowing really hard and I took it out by myself. It was hard to set up, because there wasn’t any snow to pack around it and I didn’t have any ice anchors. I ended up just taking it down. (I am guessing this would be a problem for a lot of the shacks, seeing as the wind was really strong that day)

Pros

1) It is a bigger shack, plenty of room. (I fished three out of mine last year.) 2) The material is great, feels very strong, unlike some of the other ones I have seen. 3) folder easily into the back of my SUV.

If you plan on fishing with a partner a lot of definitely recommend them. As of right now I am looking for a used 1-man for certain occasions when I don’t need all the room.

Any other questions just let me know.

fishinkatt
    Participant
    N.E Wisconsin

Thanks John I plan on fishing in it with a buddy—-maybe indoor-outdoor carpeting would help with the slippery floor—May I ask what you use to heat your 5600??

Thanks —Dick

Quote:

Fish hard — die old –put some back for the grandkids

John Luebker
    Participant

I use the Mr Heater. I like it a lot. Over the summer I bought hose to run from a grill tank. I used it to take some of the chill out of the garage when I am out there. Plus I thought it would be nice if I ever plan a long day on the ice. The little ones to last about 4 – 6hours though so a couple of those will get you by most days.

Matt Hall
    Participant
    Mount Horeb, WI

John,

Are you going to make me tell the rest of the story about your windy day on fisherman’s road?

How fast do you think you had that shanty sliding across the ice? Had to have been 10-15 mph

John Luebker
    Participant

Quote:

John,

Are you going to make me tell the rest of the story about your windy day on fisherman’s road?

How fast do you think you had that shanty sliding across the ice? Had to have been 10-15 mph

I was hoping now one remembered that… Fast enough I didn’t want to step out

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.