Smitty Sled

• toxic11

So I do they actually make it a lot easier to pull the gear out? I’m thinking about upgrading my shelter to the new XT1200 lodge. Bit around here we ant drive onto the lake so pulling by hand will be only option.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Absolutely, working on my second one. I’m using an old set of roof top carriers as the cross braces and mounting them onto short pieces of 2×6 that are bolted to the skis.

I will post some pics asap.

steuben1
    Indiana

Quote:

So I do they actually make it a lot easier to pull the gear out? I’m thinking about upgrading my shelter to the new XT1200 lodge. Bit around here we ant drive onto the lake so pulling by hand will be only option.

YES! My wife likes to go and now I pull my Otter Lodge out by hand! Well worth it!

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I’m surprised that the shelter manufactures do not offer the smitty sleds as an option?? My Clam Yukon is a heart attack waiting to happen.

toxic11

Can you guys post some pictures of the smitty sled. Trying to see what can I make the out of

Poorboy
    Illinois

In the process of building a smitty sled to pull Ambush Thermal. Everything I read about them is positive.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I made mine tuesday, and used wednesday.
    My otter sled contains close to 150# of gear. Most cannot budge my sled, i grin and bear and pull that heavy snow plow all over the lake…However, after making the smitty sled. It pulls like a dream.

Plenty of advice on the “Smitty SLed” thread. Thanks smitty!!!

toxic11

How high of the ground

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The bottom of the sled is 9″ from the bottom of the ski’s.

I took it over rocks and a big ice heave yesterday. Worked great!

yummymuskie
    A River.

i built my risers out of a 2×8 and yes it wakes a night and day difference when pulling gear, what was once a two man job can easily be done with one

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I can pull it when i’m on glare ice and the sled is in snow. I haven’t waxed the ski’s yet either, i’m sure that will also make it better.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

SInce i had some extra ski’s, i made a dog sled to be pulled behind our wheeler. Worked awesome. Kid loved it.

Me, my brother, his wife, sister, her husband, all had to try it!

Threw tracks on the wheeler the next day so we could really go through some snow.

castle-rock-clown

I built this big old floor for my clam thermal summit. It measures 6′ x 10′ but is in 2 sections ( 5′ x 8′ each). I usually leave them in my trailer when there is minimal snow and tow with my ATV. But when snow is an issue I built two runners using 2 x 6 boards for risers and a total of 4 snowboards. I’m just finishing and will report whether it is a success, hopefully with pictures. The reason for this extreme outfit is that the good lakes are a few hours and I go for on average 3 days straight and am too lazy to set up and take down every night. With this set up I winter camp all 3 days and 2 nights.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.