Eskimo FatFish 949i vs Clam BigFoot XL4000T

• meestro

I know there are multiple versions of this question but they are a little more vague with comments about multiple brands and versions that are not comparable. I will buy one of these two houses tomorrow. Which one should I get?

meestro

For the record I had to vote to see the results so subtract 1 from the Eskimo to get the true result

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I voted for the fatfish because that’s a pretty cool name.

grizz177
    Nisswa Mn.

Quote:

I voted for the fatfish because that’s a pretty cool name.

So is Clam

dld24

I have the fatfish 949i and I love it…Great house, great anchors…catch the fatfish in the fatfish

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I have both the double hub and single hub clams. Well made. I know last year I herd complaints on the stitching was poor and pole pockets would blow out on the Eskimo’s. Don’t know about there insulated material but Eskimo regular fabric was only a 300 den. and clam is 600 den. I like the color of the Fatfish better but thought I was going to get more dependability from the clam. JM2CNTS.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I’m not sure which way your poll is swaying you, but Thorne Bros. is offering the 949i for $249 until Sunday as part of their Black Friday sale.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

I have both the double hub and single hub clams. Well made. I know last year I herd complaints on the stitching was poor and pole pockets would blow out on the Eskimo’s. Don’t know about there insulated material but Eskimo regular fabric was only a 300 den. and clam is 600 den. I like the color of the Fatfish better but thought I was going to get more dependability from the clam. JM2CNTS.

The Clam is just better made period. I have an Eskimo, but if I get another hub it will be a Clam. Is Otter planning on getting into hubs?

tacotom
    Woodbury Mn

I just bought the 949i from Capra’s for $249.99 and it’s this year’s model. It was $267.80 out the door.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Quote:

I just bought the 949i from Capra’s for $249.99 and it’s this year’s model. It was $267.80 out the door.

How do you tell that it’s this years model?

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I bought the same as above. All are new they sell old stock at end of season since they have no storage for the product to hold over for the year. I asked them this question when I bought mine over the phone.

I’ve fished out of both and the Eskimo I think is nicer that is why one is in the back of my truck now

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

[

The Clam is just better made period. I have an Eskimo, but if I get another hub it will be a Clam. Is Otter planning on getting into hubs?

I PM’d Holst about that and He said there was nothing in the works for Otter as far as hub styles.

tacotom
    Woodbury Mn

Quote:

Quote:

How do you tell that it’s this years model?

I asked before buying if it was this year’s model. I read somewhere that they have a new hub design and heavier poles. I don’t have last year’s model to compare it to so I can’t tell you the difference.

meestro

Interesting. With the tally 54-54 at the time of pulling the trigger I went clam. The posts pushed me in that direction even though I do prefer the appearance of the Eskimos better

Thanks to all who voted

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Looks like votes are still coming in with the fatfish up by one. Better return the clam.

meestro

The official tally requires that you subtract 1 from the Eskimo as that was my vote just so I could see the results

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Test

Tedd Johnson

I have the bigfoot only problem I have is the zipper tabs broke in the cold had to add key rings to the zippers or couldn’t zip it other than that works pretty good

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I’ve had both. Both are sound but I like the Clam better. brighter inside, zippers are v shaped so they operate better than the d shape on the eskimo, bag is larger so the house fits better. pockets for the struts are better constructed. The eskimo has much better reflective material,…you can’t miss it at night. Perhaps a bit more floor space on the eskimo. $249 is a great price for the eskimo.

hamms
    Mn

Is the thermal material pretty equal? I am looking at both of these shacks as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.