Preserved shad and shiners for walleye and pike?

• Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I picked up some preserved gizzard shad and shiners out of the catfishing section at fleet farm. I figured they might be worth a shot to try on my tip-ups for pike and walleyes this winter. Has anyone had success trying this? and I do fish the St. croix river so I believe Shad should be practical for that situation.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hope they work better for eye’s and pike then they do for sturgeon and catfish.

Even channel cats stick up their noses to the wood like shad.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Walleyes won’t touch them! Pike will eat anything late ice so you might be in luck there!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Walleyes won’t touch them! Pike will eat anything late ice so you might be in luck there!

X2

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

X2 on not even cats will eat them. Tip ups seem as the only option BC taking them out of package they were very fragile and didn’t hook very well.

NoFish

My last year of college I started ice fishing ‘eyes in a small river in Iowa. Live bait was not readily available locally so I stocked up on the preserved shiners and flatheads when I could and used them to tip jigging lures. They did better than no bait and when we did get fresh bait I didn’t notice a difference between preserved or fresh heads. Keep in mind though, those Iowa ‘eyes didn’t get much pressure through the ice…

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I will have to test it out. These baits definitely will have the scent to draw in some fish. Seeing if they will take it will be another thing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I can’t talk about shinners…just the shad.

Take a bite out of one, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

If you’ve bought them already….good luck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.