Which underwater camera to buy

• icenutz
    Participant
    Aniwa, WI

I want to buy my GF a camera for Christmas and I’m looking at several that are in my price range, they all have the sony camera so they should all be close in that regard. Any opinions?

Marcum VS-380 B&W with 7″ Tube $200

Marcum VS-385 B&W with LCD $350

Vexilar FS 1000 Color LCD $299

I’m leaning toward the Vex because of the LCD, Color option, and a two year warranty.

jasono00
    Participant
    cities

I owned the vs380 and the vs385 if you choosr from those id go with knee vs385, currently i have vs385C

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

All Sony cameras are not made the same. Some have the Sony Super HAD ->II<- utilizing Darkwater Technology and others do not.

But it really depends on what you plan on using it for.

Ice fishing relatively shallow lakes during the day only? Any camera will work.

icenutz
    Participant
    Aniwa, WI

Thanks BK that may make a difference, her primary use will be 20ft or less in the daytime but could run into low light conditions in early morning and evening. She’s not much of a night fisherwoman. Once it get’s dark it’s time to eat, drink and other activities!!!

So it looks like the Marcum VS-385 and the Vexilar FS-1000 have the same Sony Super HAD CCD .05 lux camera with 420 lines of res. I think I have to compare the FS-385c to the Vexilar FS-1000 to be more apples to apples.

Both have color but the Marcum has superior optics in the camera and a lower lux for darker conditions, now is it worth $150 more?

Looks like I need to do a side by side comparison in the store, I wonder if they will get ticked off it I turn some of the lights off in the store?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Point both cameras at an object as 20 feet away, then see which on looks the best to you. Might want to adjust the settings on the Vex to see if the image can be improved.

You will be the only one that can make the price decision.

I thought the VS-385 had the Sony Super HAD CCD II as well. I’ll have to check.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sony Super HAD II CCD 1/3” image sensor .01 lux camera, with 75-feet of cable

Darkwater® LED Lighting Technology

There you go!

jasono00
    Participant
    cities

Black and white pic vs385 color pic vs 385c

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Thanks BK that may make a difference, her primary use will be 20ft or less in the daytime but could run into low light conditions in early morning and evening. She’s not much of a night fisherwoman. Once it get’s dark it’s time to eat, drink and other activities!!!

So it looks like the Marcum VS-385 and the Vexilar FS-1000 have the same Sony Super HAD CCD .05 lux camera with 420 lines of res. I think I have to compare the FS-385c to the Vexilar FS-1000 to be more apples to apples.

Both have color but the Marcum has superior optics in the camera and a lower lux for darker conditions, now is it worth $150 more?

Looks like I need to do a side by side comparison in the store, I wonder if they will get ticked off it I turn some of the lights off in the store?

Nutz:

The other thing to do when testing cameras in-store is to see how well they adjust to changing light levels. Clouds come over from time to time, and it gets darker the further you drop that thing. Look to make sure the auto-adjusting-iris inside that camera has a wide range, from bright to dark. Also, see how well the screens are able to bring that range to you the viewer!

Side by side comparisons are a great way to go, but keep in mind that there are some tests you simply need water for.

Joel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.