Best 2 Man Pull Over Ice Fishing Shelter

• sikeo22
    Participant
    SW, Wisconsin

New to ice fishing and was looking for some member insights on which 2 man pull over ice fishing shelter to choose. I plan to pull it with ATV.

Thanks!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I plan to pull it with ATV.

Thanks!

Knowing that you’ll be pulling with an ATV the Otter houses would be a great choice. They’ll be a few pounds heavier than some houses but they’re built incredibly well. 900 denier outer fully-insulated canvas, square tube frame and a nearly indestructible sled are some of the reasons so many guys love their Otter houses.

More info here http://www.otteroutdoors.onlineofficesystem.com/details.php?prodID=54

Most retailers like Cabelas, Gander etc., should have their houses on display already or very shortly. Go check them out, sit in the various houses and get a feel for the differences in quality from one manufacturer to another before pulling the trigger. I think the Otters will leave you with a very favorable impression once you’ve done the comparisons side-by-side.

sikeo22
    Participant
    SW, Wisconsin

Thanks for the info. I’ll go sit in a few and see what feels the best. I’m sure everyone has their own ideas of what is the best so it was probably a loaded question to begin with…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I’ll go sit in a few and see what feels the best. I’m sure everyone has their own ideas of what is the best so it was probably a loaded question to begin with…

I think you’ll find most guys will give the Otters very high marks for durability and build quality but you’re 100% right… what counts is what you think and what will work best for the way you fish.

francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

Since you will be using a atv, don’t forget to compare each brands hitch system.

Have fun shopping!

FDR

MIKGILLIE
    Participant
    Owatonna,MN.

Otter is a great choice,I would highly recommend a insulated on whatever kind you buy,they are worth the extra money.

jigging_jag
    Participant
    SE Minnesota

OTTER is by far the best…

Chad Luebker
    Participant
    Annandale, MN

One word. OTTER

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Quote:

OTTER is by far the best…

and the contest begins….. CLAM , the original and still the BEST !!!

Zach Peterson
    Participant
    Austin, Mn

Way to start the Chevy vs. Ford debate! haha

I’ve never fished out of an Otter but have always heard good things about them from people who either have them, or have fished out of one. That being said, I have a Clam that I really like. It’s an older model but for what I use it for, it works. I took the time this spring to put some insulation on the back and roof to help hold in heat a little better. Time will tell this ice season if that was worth it or not, but I know a few guys that have done it and they say it makes a big difference on those really cold and windy days without adding any weight and it’ll save you a bunch of money over buying a new insulated house.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

The bench seat on the Otterbrand Team Wild houses are awesome, I love mine..

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

I’ve thought about doing a bench seat in one of my otters this year. My buddy has one and I kind of liked it.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’ve been using Otter houses for a long time !!!

I love the bench seat in the 2 man pro.. If your with someone there is plenty of room to park your rear. And by yourself it’s like an apartment !!!

Have fun shopping !!

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

Chris I’ve yet to fish with you and even get in the Otter !!! 65 degrees in March on Rainy ??? WTH

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve thought about doing a bench seat in one of my otters this year. My buddy has one and I kind of liked it.

I will never go back to seats…the bench is just so much more efficient in the tight space, I simply reach over it when I need something from the sled.. it also makes it easier to put the auger ontop when hauling on the ice..

red89
    Participant
    Hudson

I have the otter wild cabin with insulated top. Its a sweet looking shack and has tons of room.

I will say the canvas doesn’t seem to be as durable as I hoped. Bench seat is ok, but doesn’t allow very easy access to stuff in the sled. Also, was not happy that the sled didn’t come with marked or pre-drilled holes.

My buddy got a clam with the individual seats and one thing I really like is that it came with a tray that goes inbetween the seats to put stuff like bait pucks, jig boxes, etc. Not sure if otter has those, but its a nice feature.

yahbuddy
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

Zach I have an older otter resort that does not have any insulation and am curious to know how you added insulation to your clam.

doubleshot
    Participant
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

I will never go back to seats…the bench is just so much more efficient in the tight space, I simply reach over it when I need something from the sled.. it also makes it easier to put the auger ontop when hauling on the ice..

x2

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

how is a bench MORE efficient in a tight space ? I think the opposite, I will never go back to an uncomfortable bench, adjustable seats are the bomb but then again my X2 is not a tight space either

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

Chris I’ve yet to fish with you and even get in the Otter !!! 65 degrees in March on Rainy ??? WTH

That’s true bud!! Actually thinking about talking to Otter to see if they might have a line on some aftermarket AC units. LOL!!

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Quote:

how is a bench MORE efficient in a tight space ? I think the opposite, I will never go back to an uncomfortable bench, adjustable seats are the bomb but then again my X2 is not a tight space either

When 2 people are fishing in it, the bench is more sturdy and if needed, one person can use more of it than the other vs the set locations of 2 seats..When fishing 1 person, the bench allows me to slide side to side when adjusting gear, fighting fish, I can also lay my legs across it if tired, set my camera/food/beverage/gear on it as well..

Zach Peterson
    Participant
    Austin, Mn

yahbuddy- PM sent. Let me know if you got it. It’s not showing up in my sent messages for some reason.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

When 2 people are fishing in it, the bench is more sturdy and if needed, one person can use more of it than the other vs the set locations of 2 seats..When fishing 1 person, the bench allows me to slide side to side when adjusting gear, fighting fish, I can also lay my legs across it if tired, set my camera/food/beverage/gear on it as well..

My seats slide left/right, forward backwards ? They are not “set”… My X2 seats are very sturdy When fishing by myself, I can remove the other seat totally, or use it as a table or as you say, a leg rest, I can turn my seat so the backrest is actually behind my back when I have my feet up, unlike a bench I must say, we think quite the opposite about our seats and comfort/useability

foofer
    Participant

make sure if you want the insulated otter go with the pro the wild is a insulated top 600denier sides pro has 900denier even before insulated covers the pro was 900 and the wild 600 i dont think there is any other flip over that has a 900denier shell

anderson_dc
    Participant
    Pleasant Hill, IA

Quote:

Quote:

That’s true bud!! Actually thinking about talking to Otter to see if they might have a line on some aftermarket AC units. LOL!!

Chris, that’s not ice fishing, it’s a dang vacation! Nice photo

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My seats slide left/right, forward backwards ? They are not “set”… My X2 seats are very sturdy When fishing by myself, I can remove the other seat totally, or use it as a table or as you say, a leg rest, I can turn my seat so the backrest is actually behind my back when I have my feet up, unlike a bench I must say, we think quite the opposite about our seats and comfort/useability

To each their own..

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chris, that’s not ice fishing, it’s a dang vacation! Nice photo

What a crazy year last season. I suspect we’ll get a dose of Real Ice fishing this year!!

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

I hope so !!!! We’ll see you in January

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Quote:

make sure if you want the insulated otter go with the pro the wild is a insulated top 600denier sides pro has 900denier even before insulated covers the pro was 900 and the wild 600 i dont think there is any other flip over that has a 900denier shell

You must mean BESIDES the X2…..
    X2 Thermal
    Email to a Friend
    Be the first to review this product

Availability: In stock.

»Locate a Dealer
    Quick Overview
    Model: 9200
    SET UP SIZE: L 90″ x W 73″
    CENTER HEIGHT: 76″
    PACK SIZE: L 73′ x W 42″ x H 24″
    WEIGHT: 135 LBS
    FISHABLE AREA: 24 sq. ft.

Features:
    Full thermal tent (retain up to 25 degrees more heat and reduce condensation)
    Ultra-tough 900 total denier fabric

a-and-t
    Participant
    By Rochester,MN

Quote:

Quote:

Well since we are showing skin. Tuck was a little hot that day
    And yes, are vote is definitely Otter for overall durability and setup in extreme conditions

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.