Ice suit questions and recommendations

• slab-hunter
    Participant
    Red Wing, MN

Hi all,
    With the ice season closing in on us in a few months, I decided to get a new cold weather suit. Been tossing around the idea of Ice Armor, Frabill and others. Just looking for pros and cons on what you personally have. The FW insisted I get what I want, but I also don’t want to break the bank. If someone could explain the denere (sp?) count and grams of insulation would help.
    I’d also use it to shovel the D way, etc…..
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Don

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

Snowsuit fxe. Best money I have ever spent. I use mine November-march

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Snowsuit fxe. Best money I have ever spent. I use mine November-march

Same here. I do wish it had flotation though. It will be the best fitting bibs and warmest on the market. In my opinion, that is most important.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I have been wearing the frabil ice suit for a few years but plan on getting a sno suit this year. I have ice fished in everything from rain to -36° and have been able to stay warm. My only complaint on the ice suit is the weight which is why I want to go to the sno suit.

monticatgeek
    Participant
    Monticello, MN

I am now using the Clam Lift Suit and on the extremely cold days I have the Striker Hard Water Suit (their first year floating model). the extra cost of a floating suit is worth it. think of it as cheap life insurance if you go through. it helps you get out faster if you go in. as for denier numbers that is simply the thickness of the material used in the suit(applies to fish houses too). the bigger the number the thicker it is.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

I have Arctic Armor and would never recommend it. Cold, clammy and stiff.

ajaikens31
    Participant
    Big Rapids, Michigan

I have the striker ice hard water bibs and they are the best bibs I’ve ever seen/tried on. I haven’t tried the fxe snosuit but the striker is warm, has floatation, and is much cheaper. I don’t see any reason to try the snosuit for myself because I am extremely happy with the strikers.

Alex Sharrow
    Participant
    adirondack park upstate ny

this ice suit here is the original from frabill that I purchased this past winter and I have to say I never had to layer my clothes again even in 20 below weather deff a great buy

Attachments:
    1. 008.jpg

revpilot
    Participant
    Lake Erie

I picked up a Striker Climate suit on closeout for $200 well see how it does this season

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

I love my Striker Climate suit.

Best one I have owned so far.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

I’ve had:
    Striker LITE
    Striker Climate
    Arctic Armor.

I prefer both versions of striker over AA and will wear the Climate suit again this winter.
    Wore it this weekend actually.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

personally i have the mens guide gear ice fishing suit. for the price you cannot beat the quality. its normally around 160$ for the full suit but if you wait sometimes they are on sale for half that. it is waterproof, i have worn it in the boat on LOTW in 5 ft waves and i stayed dry. nice kneepads for kneeling in the ice. its plenty warm. another one i was looking at is new and its called the Expedition Anorakk Ice Fishing Suit. its also around the same price and reviews are very positive. of course the others that people mention, though i have no personal experience with them, im sure are very nice and warm but at twice the price at least ill keep what i have which works fine for me both on the ice and in the boat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.