Ice line…

• Stephen Graham
    Participant
    Colo, Iowa

Hey IDO,
    I have used many different brands and types of ice line but I am looking for the overall best. This is like most questions brought up with really no right or wrong answer. I am on the ice multiple days out of the week so I tend to change out line quite often due to line stretch and memory. I am up for trying anything new so let me know what has worked the best for you when on the ice!

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

There is NO over-all best .. it is what line works best for the individual. these 2 lines work best for me.

For a braid ..Suffix 832 ice… for a mono….P-Line, I use both waytogo

JMHO Jeff

bronzbak
    Participant
    Long way from home

I’ve tried I believe everything there is out there! I’ve come to the conclusion seaguar invizx is the best non-braid! If using a dupe line it’s kind of a toss up among the fused lines. I will not use a non fused line due to waster retention! I guess I’d sway towards Nano at the moment!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I like Nano in cold water, especially the lighter weights. The PLine is decent cold water mono. I haven’t tried any of the seaguar invizx but have heard from a couple people that they lean in that direction. Lots of lines out there and what butter’s one man’s bread might be poison to you so who knows. The ice monos are cheap. Try a few and see which one suits you best.

Frenchman
    Participant
    West Central Indiana

I have used Vicious with good results. Still cannot pull the trigger on a braid or fluorocarbon for mainline.

Bryan Myers

If your looking for braid I would have to agree with trumar and say Sufix 832 advanced ice braid. The mono I like to run is Sufix ice magic, I have had really good success with it over the years and am really looking forward to trying out there new Invisiline Ice fluorocarbon.

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

X2 with Trumar on the Suffice ice braid and the P-line. Settled in to those two a few years back and in absolutely no hurry to change.

Stephen Graham
    Participant
    Colo, Iowa

I will for sure be trying the Suffix lines as I have not really given them a chance when it comes to hard water fishing. Thank you for the input I am sure these recommendations will improve the ice season.

tmyboy2001
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Hi Stephen,

I certainly don’t mean to hijack your thread here, but I was wondering under which fishing conditions do people like to use ice braid with a mono/fluoro leader under a swivel? Mostly for walleyes, or do you use it for panfish, as well? How do you plan on rigging up this winter?

bronzbak
    Participant
    Long way from home

I use braid for panfish when fishing deeper water. The reason is to decrease line stretch and get instant hookset! I routinely fish a lake for perch in 70 fow! Even with straight Fluro the stretch causes some missed fish! With the braid there are far fewer swing and misses!

DeanoB
    Participant
    Historic Mantorville

I don’t use mono anymore, strictly fluorocarbon for ice fishing. I prefer Vanish. Some of the open water rods have mono and braid. I have one ice reel with braid that’s suffix 832.

Stephen Graham
    Participant
    Colo, Iowa

No worries tmyboy2001,
    Personally I tend to use braid when its A) no wind and fairly warm outside or B) inside a heated house as I find the braid to collect water and tend to freeze up quicker than mono. I have used with mono leader under a swivel but at that point I kind of feel its defeating the purpose if you want strong hook sets with little stretch. Totally agree with bronzbak in the fewer swing and misses with the braid.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.