Ice fishing destination recommendation

• Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Hey Guys, a co-worker of mine is looking to go on an ice fishing trip with some buddies, looking for a lake and or outfitter recommendation. Last year they hit up LOTW so he knows what to expect there, i think he is looking for something a little further south than LOTW. I know they are mainly looking to chase walleye/sauger, looking mainly for numbers and consistancy less on trophy hunting. I know nothing is a sure thing when it comes to fishing, but certain places are historically reliable for a good time. Any suggestions? I heard Red can be good? Leech? I have been do Mille Lacs several times and have not had great luck. Thanks in advance

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Have you ever looking into the Dakotas ?
    Year after year I read great reports of walleyes and also some fantastic perch jerkin from out that way !!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

South Dakota, Waubay or Bitter lake would be my choice. What is the members name that is in that area and has lodging and guides, damn my memory is terrible.

I’m sure someone will remember

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

QB has a lot of info on the Dakotas

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quintin Biermann

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Walleyes n perch in SD? C’mon man…those are duck slough’s. No fish in there……….

Terry Heese

I heard the Dakota’s will be closed for ice fishin this year….

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Dakotas is a great choice.

Winnie, Leech, and Red (early) would all be worth checking into if they are looking to stay in Minnesota.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

If the goal is numbers and size isn’t as important Red would be a great option, there are plenty of resorts who rent sleepers or make it nice and easy to get out with a portable.

As mentioned above SD is also a great option.

scmelik
    South Dakota

I heard the Dakota’s will be closed for ice fishin this year….

true story they voted on it last week. No fishing this winter in SD HAHA

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I know this isn’t specifically what your looking for, but thought I’ld toss out a bucket-list type of trip. Places like Granby in Colorado offer world class lake trout offerings with spectacular views while nestled up 8000-10,000 feet up in the mountains. After my first experience on a couple of these mountain lakes, I’m compelled to get back as often as possible. Its not just getting a 20#+ laker, its the entire trip that makes the experience.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.