ice conditions?

• Aj Sampson
    Participant
    Big Lake, Minnesota

i was wondering if anyone has been on the ice after this past weekend of temps in the lower 40s??? just trying to find out if anyone has any info on conditions in central mn…

petemoller
    Participant

I went out in the west metro, the ice was 5-7 inches where I put my house out.

Ryan Lommen
    Participant
    Twin Cities

I’ve only been told that nothing is safe around the metro. Also, have heard that central MN (where my cabin is) has a couple of inches in parts but further north there is definitely safe ice!

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve only been told that nothing is safe around the metro. Also, have heard that central MN (where my cabin is) has a couple of inches in parts but further north there is definitely safe ice!

You will be told that same thing about Metro Ice in Feb. when the ice is 4 Ft. thick. In Central Minnesota my friend says they have 5-7″ on most of the Medium sized lakes and over 10 on the smaller lakes in his area ( 30 Miles West of Brainard )

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

there are some lakes in the metro with safe ice at the moment. specifically ive heard black lake and buffalo. check with your local bait shop they should be able to tell you about ice conditions in your area. i was up at red lake last weekend and they had 6-9 inches of ice. i plan on heading out in the metro this weekend

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

it’s not very safe down here

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

Driving home on 169 I saw a small portable out on the SE corner of Medicine. This was on the shallow flats that freeze over first.

Talked to a guy at the office this morning that had reports from east and west Rush lake. I was on west rush last friday(6 inches).

All the reports seem to be consistent, some of these lakes have good ice. The same lakes can change rapidly due to location or even time of day. Case in point on West Rush, Landing was frozen friday morning, open in the afternoon. Sounds like the report I got in the office was of a similar nature on Sunday.

Also just read the story posted here about Red Lake. They’re talking a foot of ice up there and the post is about a rescue.

Point is, things are good in many areas but it only takes one bad spot to ruin life. Be careful out there.

bowtecmike
    Participant
    Zimmerman mn

I live on forest lake as of yesterday I had 5-7″ of ice I went a couple hundred yards out there was about 7 Portables out and one permanent smaller house and 2 atvs on the lake. after surgery days rain and warm the weather the lakes froze hack up perfectly. should be safe for atv travel by this weekend I’m not ready to venture out with mine yet tho.

bowtecmike
    Participant
    Zimmerman mn

my apologies my phone messed up my last post severely. anyways the lake froze up really good after Sundays rain and warm weather. it helped melt the top inch or two of snow and refrigerate everything nicely. there’s surprisingly a good amount of traffic on forest lake. lybaks and chapmans on Mille lacs will be letting atvs out 1-2 miles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.