I want to try it! Fishing Superior

• trytoofish
    Participant
    sw Mn.

I made some inquiries here last year about fishing superior. but do to unforeseen circumstances it didn’t happen. My wife has Vacation time 9/13-9/20. maybe i can make it work this time. With the recent reports it looks like some success is possible. What should one look for in weather other than light winds. I’m not interested in an episode of deadliest catch lol. Is there any correlation to wind direction and success?

It seems spoons are the bait of choice. agreed? Naked or behind a flasher?

M. Leslie
    Participant
    Twin Cities

I can’t say that I’ve ever experienced better or worse fishing up there directly associated with the wind, other than the affect the wind has on wave height/direction. I’ve caught as many fish on grey days in 2-3 footers as I have in clear skies and calm seas, but sure is more pleasant catching them when you’re not bracing yourself against the gunwale every time you stand up.

Obviously, on the N. Shore, E through S winds can see some of the roughest conditions due to the fetch the waves have to build across all that open water. N/NW winds tend to be more gusty, especially the further up the shore you go but unless you plan on heading miles offshore you wouldn’t have to deal with larger swells.

Far as I’m concerned, any day that is calm enough to get out on Superior I’d head out there and give it a shot!

Wind/wave direction will affect where the most active fish are on any given day though as the wind will move the surface water around and affect the nearshore water temperatures. So the location and depth of that 48-54 degree water you may have been catching fish in for two days may move further in, further out, further up, further down or disperse completely with a day or two of different winds so you’ll probably have to look around to find the active fish again (not always an easy task in all that water – at least for a part-time hack like me).

If you haven’t already found it, this NOAA site is great for getting a feeling for the nearshore forecast as you get closer to the dates of your trip.

Spoons have definitely outproduced everything else for me this summer, as they usually do every year by mid-late summer. I run mine clean whether I fish them off of a rigger, dipsy or leadcore. I do always throw out at least one flasher-fly or a dodger-squid to see if there’s a preference and those do tend to pick up a few more salmon for me when they’re in the area, but I’ve caught plenty of Chinook on spoons as well. Can check out some of the other threads around here for recent reports of what colors/spoons have been producing.

Think others have mentioned it, but I’d stop by Marine General on your way through Duluth too if you can. They’re always more than happy to share the latest reports and set you up with what has been hot.

If the weather is nice and I can break away from work early enough on Friday going to try to convince the wife to head North with me this weekend. Will post a report if I manage to pull it off. Seeing James’ and Ssperch’s big laker photos this past week has made me jealous -) as the bigger lakers have been eluding me so far this season.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.