I Tried Some Open Water for Pike 3-20

• Bass Pundit
    Participant
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I put on my waders and fished one of the inlets on the West side. Thanks to the rain, I got out a little later than I planned. I was surprised to see there was some fish activity on the surface out along the deep ice line. This was out beyond my casting distance and I can throw a 5″ swimbait on jig head a long way. I did bump a fish on one cast; I know it was a fish because a scale was impaled on my hook. I spooked two large fish in the current flow on my way back to shore. I forgot my headlamp and it was to dark to see what they were at that point. I’ll probably give it one more try before the season closes.

All I brought with me were plastic swimbaits. If I go again I’ll bring a rods rigged with chatterjig swimbait combo, a spinnerbait, and possibly one of those Super Shad Raps. Anybody have any other lure suggestions for me.

deertracker
    Participant

Was the pike season extended on Milly this year?
    DT

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Yes, pike season was extended on ML.

I might suggest using a white slug-go. I see them used in Canada all the time on tv. I think they are hard to convince to bite this time of year.

Bass Pundit
    Participant

Was the pike season extended on Milly this year?
    DT

Through the 29th for angling.

jon amundson
    Participant

Spoons! Love throwing spoons for pike early. Seems to be a forgotten lure. But you can pause and add a jigging cadence to slow your retrieve.

Bass Pundit
    Participant

Spoons! Love throwing spoons for pike early. Seems to be a forgotten lure. But you can pause and add a jigging cadence to slow your retrieve.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven’t used a Daredevil type spoon for at least 10 years, maybe even 15 years or more.

deertracker
    Participant

When I was young the northerns loved the chrome/blue stripe in the Wharf channel. waytogo
    DT

nubbinbuck
    Participant

Tip the Daredevil with a white twister tail.

Sluggos do work very well up in Canada.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

It’s not the most fun way to target ice out pike but on Devils we would mop up fish on a quick strike rig with a weight and a smelt or herring. We would always go up there with intentions of casting for them but those set rods would always be rocking, so it was hard to cast for them!

Bass Pundit
    Participant

Well I got out again today. I didn’t see any fish activity but I caught/snagged 2 sticks, a piece of wood, and this thing.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2030.jpg

deertracker
    Participant

Is that an eelpout fingerling?
    DT

Bass Pundit
    Participant

DT

Possibly, but my group of Facebook advisors thought it was a frog tadpole.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

It looks like a tadpole to me. BTW smelt make excellent bait for pike. You may also want to try a very low jerk bit approach using say a husky Jerk or X-Rap. Go slow on the pause. That’s how I get most of my early season pike.

tomr
    Participant
    cottage grove, mn

It’s not the most fun way to target ice out pike but on Devils we would mop up fish on a quick strike rig with a weight and a smelt or herring. We would always go up there with intentions of casting for them but those set rods would always be rocking, so it was hard to cast for them!

X2 the big pike are lazy and don’t want to chase. We had same experience, love to cast but this method produces big pike.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

Possibly, but my group of Facebook advisors thought it was a frog tadpole.

Awful early for a frog tadpole isn’t it? Also looks a little big to me for a frog tadpole. I am leaning toward pout fry. I netted a bunch of them last spring in the wharf channel and that’s what they looked like.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Sure as heck looks like the bullfrog tadpoles I used to catch as a kid.

Attachments:
    1. tadpoles.jpg

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Sure does, but I have a hard time believing frogs or tadpoles are out on March 29th in a mostly frozen lake. And I have never seen a bullfrog at Mille Lacs in the 30 years I have been there. Very well could be a tadpole, just can’t believe they would be out that early.

Here is a baby eelpout pic

Attachments:
    1. baby-eelpout.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.