I need a better spoon storage solution!

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The one I have now isn’t working for me anymore! 130 spoons in 2 – Plano 3700s is a frustrating mess. Any suggestions on spoon storage that is reasonably compact but would allow me easy access to the ever growing selection?

Attachments:
    1. spoons.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The gallon pail of stink bait holds more spoons then you’ll ever need in a day of fishing.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

The gallon pail of stink bait holds more spoons then you’ll ever need in a day of fishing.

The ones you put in the stink bait will definitely be the ones you won’t need for fishing.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

I took my cranks out of my BnB and started using that for my salmon spoons. Sorted by color and can put a few in each slot.

to_setter
    Participant
    Stone Lake, WI

I use the same as Joel; the deep model Special Mate box. I’d like to say it’s so big that you could never fill it, but we all know better than to make a comment like that:)…….

Art Green
    Participant
    Brookfield,WI

James, that looks just like my spoon collection! That’s why I have gotten good at running flashers and flies! LOL

I have the special mate box as well, I like it, but the spoons I run often still occupy 2 3700 boxes. It’s just quicker for me to switch spoons in the dark that way.

youngfry
    Participant
    Northeast Iowa

Works awesome for crankbaits. I would think it would work for spoons. Can’t fit as many in this one as the one Joel showed… but you could see all the spoons easily rather than having to pull it out to look for that certain color. Just another option.

http://crankcaddy.com/

jessered
    Participant
    owatonna

Plano box about 18″ square $35.00
    Sill sealer foam cut to 18″long packed in tight . Needed 2 rolls.$4.00 each. I have 60+ spoons mag & reg. With plenty of room to grow.

Attachments:
    1. 20140829_160710.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

James,
    An idea you may like is a pouch system in addition to the box. Similar to the old J-plug pouch, these spoon pouches are great for quick access to your hottest spoons. I used to have one of these at the back of the boat with my top 20 or so producing baits. As I was swapping things out, just found it faster to drop in the pouch and sort later.

Spoon pouch - available on Amish tackle

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, WI

Sill sealer foam cut to 18″long packed in tight . Needed 2 rolls.$4.00 each. I have 60+ spoons mag & reg. With plenty of room to grow.

This is what my buddy uses too!!!

Mark

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the ideas guys. I didn’t expect quite so many. I’ve got some comparison shopping to do. The spoon collection isn’t getting any smaller! After a real quick look around at the ideas shared the biggest challenge for me is going to be to find a solution that will hold 6″ spoons. Those Lake Superior lakers like a big chunk of metal from time to time.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I use the Plano spoon box. holds 66 spoons. I have two of them. Sounds like you would need three or need to lose a few spoons.

http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?PID=716

John

If only those boxes came in a 6″ version. I looked and I can’t seem to find one. I’m sure I could put the spoons in at an angle but then that would cut down on the number I could fit in the box. I’m thinking that Special Mate 8 inch Magnum Spoon Tackle Box is the way to go. Again, thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

walleyenordy
    Participant
    Cottage Grove, MN

I use the same as Joel; the deep model Special Mate box. I’d like to say it’s so big that you could never fill it, but we all know better than to make a comment like that:)…….

X2 on the special mate box. Its a big box in the boat but all of the sspoons are right there. I like it and the box fits no probelm in my little 18ft yarcraft.

Mocha
    Participant
    Park Rapids

Jessered which Plano box are you using? Do you have a number?

THX

jessered
    Participant
    owatonna

Picked it up at ff I will have to check I will get back with the model or the dementions.

carver
    Participant
    West Metro

I would take a peek at a just encase box. Kinda like a BnB. However i seen a custom one built to store raps to fit under the shelf in the passenger console on the MX and i was instantly sold on it. He’s in Waconia too if that helps.

I do like the idea of the foam. Seems very compact however i would somehow glue the sides so it doesn’t yard sale, cause lord knows i would do it the first time i opened it after spending all the time organizing it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.