Humminbird 688 GPS problem

• RwRiverRat
    Red Wing, MN

I have the Humminbird 688 CI DI Combo and when I turn the unit on it takes a long time (~10 minutes) to get a GPS signal with nothing obstructing the unit, it says No GPS fix, and when it comes in it looks like I’m driving on land for another minute or two. Anyone have the same problem or know a fix? Also how do you get the nice color on your contour maps with different shades of blue?

-James

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Do you have access to an other GPS puck or does this unit have an internal antenna?

RwRiverRat
    Red Wing, MN

I has an internal antenna

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

A picture of the installation would be helpful.
    Do you have I-Pilot link or 360 attached?
    Also, where you are physically in the boat
    or
    where the boat is on the lake.
    E.G.
    My GPS takes longer to find satellites at Everett’s because of the surrounding hilly terrain than it does on a lake with flat surroundings.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

That seems extreme and there may be a real issue. But I am a huge advocate for external GPS pucks. My advice is spend the extra cash and get an external puck. I noticed an incredible difference in performance of my 788 HD DI when I got a GPS puck.

I don’t think I’ll ever have another unit with an external puck connected. It’s kind of frustrating and irritating that HB doesn’t automatically include an external puck in their high end units anymore.

fishwalton
    NULL

I’m quiet sure there is nothing wrong with your 688ci HD DI. I have one. The built in map provided by Humminbird is very limited as to bodies of water and details shown. When it looks like you are running over land this means the body of water you are on is not on the map. I still use the feature as it leaves a tracking trail. You can mark spots and still return to them by following the track. If you want a better map you will need to purchase a chip like from Navonics, but make sure it’s compatable with the 688
    The GPS does take several minutes to find the satellites before it will work.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I didn’t seem to notice at first with my 597 but lately it seems to take a couple of minutes to get locked in. I just simply turn the unit on when I get to the ramp before I unstrap and unload. That gives it plenty of time.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The similar issues my bird has had seem to be due to the wiring. Usually corrosion or wire worked loose on the battery. Was just about ready to send mine in and decided to redue the wire connection and problem was solved.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.