How long to wait for late partner?

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

How long do you wait when meeting someone before you call it and leave? Lets say there is no contact.
    Last night I forgot my phone. The person I was taking out agreed to meet me on the dock at 5:30
    At 5:50 I left and went fishing. Apparently he got there at 5:55. We both think the other person is in the wrong.
    In the past I have given guys 15-30 minutes before leaving when they didn’t show up to my house on time.
    I always say you are either early or you are late. There is no on-time.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I think “on-time” does exist, and it’s a window. Say 10 minutes prior and past the agreed upon time. Sh*t happens. Traffic, weather, kids, whatever. 20 minutes is on the outer limit, I’d agree. Especially now with the sun going down sooner. It’s a short window, and getting shorter every day.
    That said, I think I’d give him a pass since you forgot your phone. Just my $.02

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks pal. For arguments sake lets say its a simple week night meeting and not your habitually late problem on major trips…lol

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

If I’m riding in somebody else’s boat, I always do my very best not to be late at all. If they say, “be there at 4” I’m in the parking lot at 3:50. That way, when something does happen, I still get there on time. If it’s my boat, I’d wait 15 minutes or so without a call before I head out on my own. If they call and say they’re running late, I’d probably wait up to an hour depending on the excuse….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yea. The phone was the big issue but that was the reality.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

How long do you wait when meeting someone before you call it and leave?

I always tell them what time the boat will be leaving the dock. It is up to them how much time they want to allow themselves to get there and have their gear loaded before the boat departs the dock. Sure stuff comes up and you can’t always make it on time, doesn’t mean the world will stop and wait for you. You will either learn to be on time or learn to deal with disappointment.

nord

I tell my friends that I will give them 5 to 10 min, and then my truck is in gear. Another friend told me that is just as easy to be 5 min. early rather than 5 min. late.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

I always tell them what time the boat will be leaving the dock. It is up to them how much time they want to allow themselves to get there and have their gear loaded before the boat departs the dock. Sure stuff comes up and you can’t always make it on time, doesn’t mean the world will stop and wait for you. You will either learn to be on time or learn to deal with disappointment.

I like this. Good way to do it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s so fun to stand you up at the dock… )

I won’t do it again… promise.

See you tonight at 5:30. Same place. <devil>

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Did he try to call to say he was late? If he was 25 minutes late and didn’t try to call, he’s totally in the wrong.
    Even I call and text you when I’m habitually late! LOL!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

You forgot your phone? How does that work? Along with my wallet, I don’t get too far out of the driveway without having secure knowledge my phone is with me.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Mike,
    I feel for you. About 2 weeks ago I invited a coworker from India to go out on the river after work. We were to meet at 6:00. I talked to him at 5:50 and he asked if he could bring another guy with. I didn’t have a problem with that. He said he would still be there by 6:00. He lives in Woodbury. I had the boat in and called him at 6:05 to give him tips on where to park and get and ETA. He said he would leave in 15 – 20 minutes. I was not happy and asked him to confirm he hadn’t left Woodbury yet? I asked him if he wanted to do it another night? He said no he wanted to still make it. I let him know that I was just waiting for him and I’m sure he could tell I wasn’t happy. I told him I would be out fishing and to call me when he was at the dock. As soon as I hung up the phone and headed from the dock, my phone battery died. Went back to my truck to get charger and the charger wouldn’t stay plugged in. I trolled for muskies for about 20 minutes and caught a 39 incher. That took care of any anger I had left. At least until getting back to the landing at the end of the night and noticed the ahole parked next to me took out my trailer tail lite.

I have no patients for waiting for someone I’ve invited to go fishing with me. I would rather fish by myself than wait for someone that is late (phone of no phone).

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The person I was taking out agreed to meet me on the dock at 5:30 At 5:50 I left and went fishing.

If you waited till 6:30, he would have shown up at 6:45. Just the way it is with guys like us….

-J.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I make it CRYSTAL clear.

If i say we’re leaving at 5AM. That means i’m leaving you behind at 5:01AM.

Done that more than once.

I pride myself on being punctual. If i’m on time, i’m late, and it’s unusual that i’m on time, and not early.

I try to make sure that nobody is ever waiting on Me.
    I’m quick to leave those behind and even not invite those who are chronically late.

However, i’ll wait for most people that tell me they’re going to be late…IF they tell me before they’re late that is.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I seem to be on time if I am 5 minutes late… That said, I also tell who ever I am going with that if I am going to be late and I am later than 5 minutes, hit the road and I will either catch up or not make it. Never been a good early morning person, but if my buddy is leaving at 3:00 a.m., then I am there at 2:55.

suzuki, the phone thing is a problem, but… I don’t think you should feel bad for waiting 15 minutes. If you (the guest) are going to go, its your responsibility to not hold up the show!!!

Mark

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I seem to be on time if I am 5 minutes late… That said, I also tell who ever I am going with that if I am going to be late and I am later than 5 minutes, hit the road and I will either catch up or not make it. Never been a good early morning person, but if my buddy is leaving at 3:00 a.m., then I am there at 2:55.

suzuki, the phone thing is a problem, but… I don’t think you should feel bad for waiting 15 minutes. If you (the guest) are going to go, its your responsibility to not hold up the show!!!

Mark

ditto

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I don’t know everyone seems so hard-nosed. To me the friendship means more than a couple of minutes. I’d give him say 40 to 45 minutes if I forgot my phone. Did that 1st 25 minutes make that much difference as far as fish caught?

jerry b
    western WI

Your situation is the very reason I mostly fish alone. My thoughts on being late for anything fishing or a scheduled appointment pretty much tells me that they think their time is much more valuable than mine. Five minutes after the agreed meeting time and I’m outta there. Hardnosed, yup, but then I’m an old f@rt and really don’t care ) jerr

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You forgot your phone? How does that work? Along with my wallet, I don’t get too far out of the driveway without having secure knowledge my phone is with me.

I’d recommend fish without a phone once in a while. It brings a calm to fishing one can’t get if its with, I’ve cursed my motor a few times for starting late at night with no phone. Sometimes a guy just wants to be stuck.

You think a guy who was given a seat would want to help launch, load, whatever to help, let alone make a guy wait for em. 15min Max for wait, BC life can delay sometimes.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ask anyone who has offered to take me out…

Most of them will tool around until I finally get there and then come pick me up.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Gotta agree with the hard nose guys on this one.
    If you wanted to go fishing, then you should have showed up on time!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

As the days get shorter you may as well stay home if your going to lose another hour on an after-work trip. Although I wish I had my phone last night and feel pretty vulnerable without it I encourage you younger guys to go without once in a while. I do because I remember what it was like without them and miss much about those days.

desperado

be happy with 25 minutes
    last time my fishing partner figured she was late, I had to wait 9 months

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

be happy with 25 minutes

Bazinga.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

be happy with 25 minutes

mic drop

joc
    Western and Central, NY

BTW I bring my phone in the truck to let those with issues let me know. At times they let me know that a last minute concern has come up and they can’t make (which is fine since I enjoy fishing alone) it or to let me now they have had a problem and will be late.
    Once on the lake I leave the phone locked in the glove compartment so as not to interrupt peace. In the summer a water skier, nearby bassboat without etiquette or jet skier will eventually do that.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

I couldn’t agree more!!! You are either early or left at the dock. If you don’t have any more respect for me than I don’t want to fish with you.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

How long do you wait when meeting someone before you call it and leave? Lets say there is no contact.
    Last night I forgot my phone. The person I was taking out agreed to meet me on the dock at 5:30
    At 5:50 I left and went fishing. Apparently he got there at 5:55. We both think the other person is in the wrong.
    In the past I have given guys 15-30 minutes before leaving when they didn’t show up to my house on time.
    I always say you are either early or you are late. There is no on-time.

I don’t understand the question. There is NO waiting. The bus leaves at X o’clock with or without everyone.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I was on the other end of the stick once.

We were supposed to leave at 6 AM and he was to pick me up at my house. He showed up at 7:30 (no call at all)…told me had to eat breakfast before he left. He was annoyed that I was not pleased (at the time I also had two small children and it was big deal to get a day away).

Had a good day fishing and one the way home he creamed two different skunks with the boat trailer…karma.

Last time I ever fished with that fella.

Brad Anderson
    Minnesota

In my line of work its 30 minutes early everyday before our start time. If im 29 minutes early, im late imo. Its a good habit to get into. If your late thats your problem, not mine. So head to that fishing spot when they miss the window.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.