hot battery cable

• jerry slavey
    Participant

I added an extra length to my minnkota cable so i could place the battery in the middle of the boat, worked find last 3 weeks but started getting hot where the splice was made and cable separated, any ideas why?

brad-o
    Participant
    Mankato

Make sure the wirer gauge is correct. And that your connections are good

jon_wbl
    Participant

Poor connection will cause resistance which will heat up

trytoofish
    Participant
    sw Mn.

Did you solder the splice. that’s the best. crimps are quick but can be troublesome.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

How did you splice it?

Did you use the same gauge wire as the original harness to make the extension?

As others say, the splice is heating up because of a poor connection that is causing resistance.

Grouse

gary d
    Participant
    cordova,il

T_T fish is right! soldering is the best way to do it. Just make sure the solder penetrate all through the wires to make it solid.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Yikes. Replace that joint immediately.

Heat is from too much resistance….Too much resistance also means you’re not letting as much current through and you’ll have less power in your TM.

Big wires = more area for current to flow through, and less resistance…BETTER.

Big wires take big connections or solder. DOn’t use undersized connections.
    I don’t solder anything, but i would also agree it is the best connection method. Get it fixed. DOn’t burn down your boat.

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

While Minn Kota may use #10awg wire for their length of lead, like others have posted, it probably isn’t large enough for a 6′ (example) addition.

Which model/voltage motor do you have, how much length are you trying to add?

HRG

In addition, crimp-splicing, done PROPERLY, and with the correct tool, is not necessarily evil. If you need to up-size your wire, get a pair of these, and use a quality tinned marine wire for the extension. Cover these with heat-shrink sleeving that has the adhesive/sealant inside, and you’ll have a quality splice.

Attachments:
    1. 11-20-2014-10-56-40-AM.jpg

jerry slavey
    Participant

While Minn Kota may use #10awg wire for their length of lead, like others have posted, it probably isn’t large enough for a 6′ (example) addition.

HRG

In addition, crimp-splicing, done PROPERLY, and with the correct tool, is not necessarily evil. If you need to up-size your wire, get a pair of these, and use a quality tinned marine wire for the extension. Cover these with heat-shrink sleeving that has the adhesive/sealant inside, and you’ll have a quality splice.

I have the following model it’s a c2 40-36 , I used copper ground rod clamps for my splicing, thought I had a good tight splice then taped it like crazy, guess maybe the wiring was too small for the additional 6 feet.

HRG

HRG

HRG

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

Jerry,
    a 40# Minn Kota TM will pull a max of 42 amps at full power, so I’d be comfortable with #8awg extension leads for a 6′ length. The chart below shows a voltage loss of just under 3%, which is good.

As far as splicing goes, the ground rod clamp is not designed for joining 2 stranded wires together, so either find the crimp splices I showed above, or possibly this splice kit that you can get at your local hardware/big box store. http://www.gardnerbender.com/en/hst-wp

HRG

Attachments:
    1. 11-21-2014-5-47-16-AM.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.