Holy Crap! Home Owners Insurance

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

->14% increase this year!

“Some of your increase has to do with the Sewer and Drain endorsement. It increased because of claim activity.”

Not my claim activity!

I’m already at a grand of deductible. Time to start shopping around I guess.
    I’ve been with State Farm since I started driving and with this agent for the last 34 years.
    I know it’s not his fault, but this is ridiculous!

locolocal
    Participant

Be sure to check out Costco. They have a co-branded deal with Ameriprise…

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

6 years ago I had a house fire. Noth much structure damage but almost everything in the house had to be replaced because of smoke damage. AAA came through with flying colors. Paid for everything-motel, new clothes the weekend it happened, rented a house for 3 months, everything in the house, etc. The next year we had a hail storm and had roof damage. Again they paid everything with no hassles. next year 60 days before renewal cancelation letter comes. I and my agent checked 22 companies for coverage. Found 1 that was only $45 more than I had been paying with same coverage and deductible. Only 2 other companies would insure me. One with $2000 deductible and the other wanted $2500 deductible. Both of these companies wanted premiums at around 2 grand a year. 19 companies wouldn’t even insure me. Neither of these claims were caused by error on our part. Both times we weren’t even home. I have had 6 different insurance comp. in 39 years with only 3 claims total. 2 were back to back years and got cancelled. And insurance companies wonder why people get upset with them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I guess I should be happy with a 14% increase and didn’t get canceled!

Thanks for sharing MX.

I guess I’m surprised no one else has mentioned a premium increase.

trytoofish
    Participant
    sw Mn.

The next year we had a hail storm and had roof damage. Again they paid everything with no hassles. next year 60 days before renewal cancelation letter comes.

State Farm did the same thing to me. first and only major claim i had. made no sense to me. might be years before I had another hail damage claim. In fact that was 1997. And I have had none so far.

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

SF sux.

When home values were declining they continued to increase dwelling coverage
    so watch out for that as well.

wkw
    Participant

BK, my agent ( Justin Schneider ) called me this a.m. out of the blue
    and told me our current homeowners policy was going up $300 per year,
    so he did some shopping on our behalf and found a different company
    with the same coverage at the same rate as the old one.
    That’s what I call SERVICE ! Give him a call.
    WKW

P.S. Thanks Justin !!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Who is Justin Schneider and how do I contact him?

wkw
    Participant

Woods and Water—–952-928-9190

wkw
    Participant

Justins cell # is 651-253-6847

wkw
    Participant

Come on BK. Search him out On-The-Line

Fishbloodrivermud, You can lead a horse to water…..
    Remember it’s BK.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Just 3 claims in 39 years? and they canceled your insurance, just goes to show they only care about profit margins and not quality coverage for the people who give them their paychecks. In other words you get unlucky with a few hailstorms and they cancel you,,,like you have control over nature. I want all my past money back so I can repair my roof, Shame shame shame.

brian_peterson
    Participant
    Eagan, MN

I was with SF for 20 years, same agent and all. Just dumped them for Allstate. SF couldn’t compete.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Just 3 claims in 39 years? and they canceled your insurance, just goes to show they only care about profit margins and not quality coverage for the people who give them their paychecks. In other words you get unlucky with a few hailstorms and they cancel you,,,like you have control over nature. I want all my past money back so I can repair my roof, Shame shame shame.

Shame? I don’t understand that thought process. We’re not talking marriage here, we’re talking insurance. If an insurance company raises your rates and you don’t like it, switch. An insurance company owes you the coverages outlined in the policy for the stated duration of the contract and nothing more. If they want to raise your rates or lower coverage levels, so be it. They risk losing you as a customer.

I’ve had one insurance claim in my lifetime and I look to switch companies any time rates go up for any reason. I expect companies to compete for my business and if I don’t receive a rate and service that meet my expectations… I’m gone on to the next company. Thankfully I was able to find an insurance agent that feels the same way I do about insurance. Justin Schneider is my agent as well and he informs me any time a company plans to raise rates or change coverages of a policy I hold well in advance of the expiration of that policy. Justin is fantastic about having options ready and waiting for me when it comes time to make a decision regarding renewal. At that point the decision to renew or go with a new company comes down to comparing the coverages and premiums and making an educated decision based on the available information.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Well stated james. The last time I shopped gambling policies out, it was between a company that justin reps and another company. I chose to stay with American Family, but it was a close match up. Felt bad that I didn’t go with justin after all his leg work. I was probably the biggest pain in the rear end to deal with. He had pages of questions to dig up the answers on for clarification.

Here is a huge bit of advise and do with it as you will. Make dam sure you know exactly what is included or excluded and how they define things. Just because you have 500,000 of so called coverage, it doesn’t mean they cover every incident. Example- have any firearms???? Most only cover up to a couple grand. Anything more, your on your own. Ask a lot of questions and don’t ASS U ME

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

I’ve only been with two insurance companies auto, home and liability (other than for health) in my life. Very early it was Farmers Causality.

State Farm has had my home auto business for over 35 years. I have a “Guaranteed Renewable” clause. That does not mean that they cannot raise rates. It only means just what it says. I HAVE INSURANCE as long as I pay the rate WITH IN THE TIME REQUIRED.

I May pay too much for my coverage’s but, my deductibles are 250/500 for most auto/home deductibles. If the Lord above is involved, it is $50.

I don’t care what you pay, your insurance, It’s dollar paid has no value till you USE IT!

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

What I’m saying James is if a person doesn’t make a claim in that length of time and has paid in all those premiums with no payout for the company, then all of a sudden a person gets 3 hailstorms in a row and that same insurance company drops them? I do indeed think that insurance company should pay all three and not drop him. The fact that he’s paid in all those years and not one claim? then because of 3 unfortunate hailstorms beyond his control and the insurance company drops him, that’s cheezey to me. It seems that if an insurance company wants to keep a long term paying client that they would pay just because its good business to keep long term payers in their company. It sounds like if it gets a little tough for some insurance companies they just quit, to me that’s not good business and no company I want to do business with.

My cousins wife has worked in the insurance industry since she graduated from high school and is 65 now. Shes worked for the same company during this time. She said that at least here in Iowa its legal to make 3 claims in a certain period of time, I forget what that time span was but it wasn’t very long as I do remember that, before they can legally drop you. Here in Iowa there’s rules and regulations that limit what an insurance company can and can not do. She also said that if there’s any complaints that its also legal to make a report to the attorney general here in Iowa and they will look into it. Maybe some states control their insurance regulations differently but that’s the way it is here in Iowa, or at least 5 years ago being the last time I talked to her about insurance. Here in Iowa they can’t just drop you because of 3 acts of nature beyond anyone’s control.

Another insurance broker talked to me one time and said that if a person has say three explosions like in a garage that were accidents from like acetylene, gunpowder, gasoline etc. where more caution should have been used but unfortunately wasn’t, that they more then likely would be dropped after the third incident, and at no fault of the insurance company because of negligence because a more dangerous substance was involved. When it comes to things like hail storms, lightning strikes beyond anyone’s immediate control that there are different rules covering those things considered as acts of God. If that same house got hit as many as one to three times by lightning and then the owners still didn’t put lightning rods on the house after the insurance company had more then likely suggested they should, that they more the likely could and would be legally dropped as the insurance companies suggestions weren’t followed. Accidents, negligence and acts of god all fall under different rules and regulations, to help insurance companies from paying out because of fraud and neglect. Acts like hail storms are acts of god and beyond anyone’s control and harder for insurance companies not to pay out on them. No one is expected to put netting above their house to help the insurance companies from paying out. Lightning rods after the first or second hit and neglect in a garage, yes, but not hail storms or tornadoes, at least that was the way it was explained to me. BTW Randy I also have American Family and another insurance broker for another insurance company told me that they are one of the best when it comes to paying out for damages, that’s another reason I’m staying with them in case another person needs to be paid for damages that happened because of my property or my mistakes or unknowing.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Mossy –

I think you missed the part where the insurance company DID pay all claims.

6 years ago I had a house fire. Noth much structure damage but almost everything in the house had to be replaced because of smoke damage. AAA came through with flying colors. Paid for everything-motel, new clothes the weekend it happened, rented a house for 3 months, everything in the house, etc. The next year we had a hail storm and had roof damage. Again they paid everything with no hassles. next year 60 days before renewal cancelation letter comes.

If an insurance company doesn’t pay a claim that’s covered by the policy, that’s shameful. That’s not what happened.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

What I’m saying James is after their accidents and because of misfortune they were dropped? yes they were paid but then dropped, I still think its cheezy for them to do that and heck yes Id be looking for another insurance company also, too bad he couldn’t have been looking and found one before they were dropped. I’ve had one day off in the last 6 weeks James because of all the work I’ve got, I’m getting to the point of being delerious almost, maybe its time for a break. I think those insurance companies ought to kicked right square in the shorts. They want to take your money but after a few unfortunate accidents they drop you? rediculose

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I do know that all insurance companies have access to all claims that weren’t paid and were paid out, they have complete history of what home owners have done with their house insurance, a complete history is available to them. I have no problem with that, its those insurance companies that look into your history and even though the home owners were paid they still consider what the claims have been, and then they drop you. This is where I have been coming from James. It seems they can drop you just because of the weather and thats not good policy.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I think were talking the same language but thinking about different subjects in a subject.

Chris Raymond
    Participant
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Brian–If you’re a veteran, you may be eligible for USAA, but there are some eligibility hurdles that you could face. I’ve been with them for just under 30 years for vehicles, house and misc. outdoor items and they’ve beaten the rates of the alternatives in my area by far and have been there the few times that I have needed them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Chris…I’m not, but others may benefit from your post….so thanks!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Insurance is so dependent upon such a wide range of things. We were with USAA for years, and they treated us well, but with our new home, they were quite a bit more expensive, s we had to say bye-bye.

When we bought our first home, I had a killer rate with Farmers. So much so that the agent could barely believe it. Lo and behold, the next year rolled around and the rate went up 85%!!! Yeah. See ya!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve been loyal to the State Farm agent…not so much to State Farm.

I know I’ve been paying more then what I could get my insurance for, but I have this thing with businesses that go beyond the norm for their customers.

Unfortunately my agent can’t help me out on this one and after our conversation I told them I would be looking around.

I’m not unhappy about leaving State Farm, what bothers me is I’m leaving a friend. (this is just one of many reasons why I’ll never be financially wealthy)

Joel VandeKrol
    Participant
    Ankeny, IA

Check your Facebook Inbox, BK.

Justin Schneider (Woods & Water Insurance)
    Participant
    Hugo, MN

Thanks for the endorsements James, Randy & Wayne.

Due to the large amount of storms we have incurred over the past 5 years, MN is currently not a very profitable market for insurance carriers when it comes to insuring homes. With that said, all insurance carriers all have different strategies on how they plan on becoming profitable again. Some increase deductibles, some increase premiums while others decrease coverages.

In a perfect world, premiums and coverages would be stable, but that simply is not the case in the insurance industry. As I tell all my insureds, there’s nothing wrong with shopping around once in a while to ensure your policy is competitive both premium and coverage wise. I do it within my agency for our insured’s quite often, as insurance carriers change pricing and coverages on what almost seems like an annual basis these days.

Joel VandeKrol
    Participant
    Ankeny, IA

I do know that all insurance companies have access to all claims that weren’t paid and were paid out, they have complete history of what home owners have done with their house insurance, a complete history is available to them. I have no problem with that, its those insurance companies that look into your history and even though the home owners were paid they still consider what the claims have been, and then they drop you. This is where I have been coming from James. It seems they can drop you just because of the weather and thats not good policy.

^Please elaborate

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.