Help Me Choose My Next Android Phone

• mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m looking at the Droid Turbo, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S5 and the Sony Xperia Z3. Anybody have any of these or are up to date with the latest and greatest?

Right now the Xperia intrigues me.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

I’m to stupid to even run my iphone so I won’t be any help. Sorry.

poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Can’t say anything about the others but I’m very happy with my s5.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

S5 is water resistant and the Xperia is water proof. Obviously both big selling points for me.

In using my S3 I realize battery life is another big concern.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The only thing appealing to me is gorilla glass. Being in a rough business my RAZR hasn’t cracked yet. Next phone that feature I’ll be looking for

jerry b
    Participant
    western WI

Just picked up the new Turbo yesterday. So far, so good. Haven’t had it long enuff to form a real opinion, but the only thing I see so far is the 48 hr battery life is an exageration- – -jerr

btw-waiting on the newly released Lifeproof case for mine.

goosehunter
    Participant

i have the S5 and ive dropped it it the water once and it still works perfectly fine!

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

nhamm, I think on Verizon’s site there was something about if your Turbo’s screen gets damaged within 2 years they’ll replace it. But I think they use the same Gorilla Glass 3 as the others?

I am bad with screens too. Mostly placing it the pocket with keys. I even got a flip cover for my S3, although I don’t know how great of an idea that was. I mean, if a grain of sand or dirt gets between the cover and the glass, I’d think that would be worse than floating in a pocket with sand and dirt.

jerry b
    Participant
    western WI

Motorola tells me they’ll replace one broken screen. Like I said earlier that I’m waiting on a Life link cover but for now I’m using their $25 adhesive screen saver. The turbo is supposed to be “water resistant”. They (Verizon) tell me of it being dropped in a bathtub and coming out undamaged.- – jerr

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Hmm, you guys aren’t making it any easier.

fishdale
    Participant

I talked to Verizon about the turbo and they said that hotspot is not working on it yet. One thing to consider if you need that.

jerry b
    Participant
    western WI

Sorry fish, beg to differ. Was in the Verizon store and they showed me how to activate the Hotspot. Probably be a while b4 I use mine but it’s there if we need it. Only thing we can’t do with the turbo is get on the net with a usb cable hook-up. jerr

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Hotspot is still an extra charge, right? I use PdaNet+, although its very rare. Hotspot is not a game changer for me.

Still leaning toward Sony. Only thing that kind if makes me nervous is they are a new player in the smart phone game.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Hotspot is still an extra charge, right? I use PdaNet+, although its very rare. Hotspot is not a game changer for me.

Still leaning toward Sony. Only thing that kind if makes me nervous is they are a new player in the smart phone game.

Being a Sony that would be a plus for me. I have had super good luck with anything Sony. As a side note if you run your smartphone over with a lawnmower it’s not a good thing.

PB2
    Participant

S5 is very waterproof and a Great phone to say the least.

The Motorolla turbo looks like a great phone. And the camera is much improved over other Moto camera’s in the past.

Id be leary of a Sony phone but thats just me.

I think you would be very happy with the Note and eadily get use to the size of it.

Id stick with samsung as the 3,4 and 5 are all top notch and proven.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I-phone.

Attachments:
    1. smileys-coffee-826223.gif

fishdale
    Participant

Sorry fish, beg to differ. Was in the Verizon store and they showed me how to activate the Hotspot. Probably be a while b4 I use mine but it’s there if we need it. Only thing we can’t do with the turbo is get on the net with a usb cable hook-up. jerr

Thanks Jerr. Good to know that. I will stop back in and talk to someone else. The guy I was talking too over the weekend must not of known what he was talking about. If they got the hotspot working I will probably upgrade in the next week.

jerry b
    Participant
    western WI

Don’t get me wrong, there might be some bugs in the Turbo, it’s only about a week on the mkt. My last droid phone was a dismal failure because of the software. I’ve been using an iPhone and other than being tethered to Apple it was pretty bullet proof. So far I’ve made (at least) 5 trips back to the Verizon to find this, that and the other thing out about how to do something. The people have been great, very knowledgeable and friendly. BUT I’m really thinking I’ve stumbled onto a great product- – -jerr

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Brian I prefer leading edge technology to old technology.

Samsung’s Touch Wiz stinks, that’s a problem for me. I wish manufacturers would leave the interface alone and leave it the stock interface.

The Notes size would not be a problem. I actually like Phablets.

Justin Radel
    Participant

I have had a lot of phones and the one thing they all have in common is that they break. Screens, speakers, batteries, you name it they all break. The best fix that i have found is actually spending the money on a quality case. Otterbox I and Life Proof make great cases and if size isn’t an issue it is a great fix to increase durability. Being an avid outdoorsman and working in the construction field i found it is better to not try and find a phone that will stand up to me but rather find a case that will. Currently running an S4 with an Otterbox and has lasted 1.5 yrs with no problems.

dave-barber
    Participant
    St Francis, MN

Brian I prefer leading edge technology to old technology.

Samsung’s Touch Wiz stinks, that’s a problem for me. I wish manufacturers would leave the interface alone and leave it the stock interface.

The Notes size would not be a problem. I actually like Phablets.

Actually… Touch Wiz is considerably improved on the Note 4. I picked one up the day they came on the market. But, that aside… if you don’t like Touch Wiz, you can always rock another UI. I have Nova Launcher installed and love it.

The Phablet does take some getting used to. I had the S4… but my wife’s Droid 2 finally bit the dust… so I gave her my S4 and got the Note 4. The S5 is not much of a step up from the S4… and I couldn’t wait to get the S6. If you want the best on the market, the Note 4 is what you got to work with. Or… nexus 6…

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

In all actuality, touchwiz hasn’t been that bad. I went to the Google Now launcher though. I think they worked the kinks out with a touchwiz update.

PB2
    Participant

Best Buy is selling Samsung S5 for $1 and the Note4 for the Same price starting thursday.

Verizon sprint att.

Sams club is doing the same I believe.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

What a coincidence, looks like the Note 4 is what I am going with. I also considered Sony and the Nexus 6, but I take so many pictures with my phone that I think I’ll go with the one they say has the best camera. Technically I should have a digital SLR and use the phone for other things, but the phone is always on hand….so to speak.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

S5 is water resistant and the Xperia is water proof. Obviously both big selling points for me.

In using my S3 I realize battery life is another big concern.

you using your phone for bait??? that your concern is its water compatability.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

UPDATE: A couple weekends ago my phone died, or so I thought. I did the normal trouble shooting taking the battery out and jiggling the plug, to no avail.

So I ordered the Note 4 online. I got into the store to pick it up and asked if they could look at it, since I still wanted the S3 for testing apps I am developing.

I took out the battery and rubbed the metal connections and it fired right up. I decide to keep the Note 4.

The reason I went with the Note 4 was picture quality, because I take a lot of pictures with my phone (duh). In my research the photo quality of the Note 4 always won. And I can say it has not disappointed. It excels even in low light situations.

I love the phone. I am going to keep the Touchwiz home, for now.

Size isn’t an issue (that’s what she said) and I always liked big phones, but I don’t think I would get anything larger than this. I think they have reached the max phablet limits with the phones this size. Any more and it would be unwieldy.

I highly recommend the phone…if you are desperate, because at this point you might as well wait for this years new editions to phone models.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Was a heavy Android user with 3-4 different phones but many apps were buggy. Got an iPhone and everything works all the time. Nice thing about the Apple product is apps are tested before hitting the app store. Battery life is much better on the iPhone too.

gbfan10
    Participant
    Hastings, mn

I’ve had about 10 Android phones now, and I started with the Google G1, lol

The S5 has been the the best one to date. Fast, long battery life, pretty much waterproof. It seems to do everything great. I have no problem recommending this to people.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Was a heavy Android user with 3-4 different phones but many apps were buggy. Got an iPhone and everything works all the time. Nice thing about the Apple product is apps are tested before hitting the app store. Battery life is much better on the iPhone too.

What does that have to do with helping me choose my next Android phone? You must have used Apple Maps to get to this thread. ) wave

Michelle has the iPhones S6. She gets mad because “OK Google” always outperforms Siri and she ended up loading Google Maps onto her phone.

Personally, I say to each their own, but I’ll never get an iPhone for myself.

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

The FW gets a new phone every year for work and has the S5. It’s a great phone. I still have the S4 and for me the Otter case is a must. I take the phone out once in a while for cleaning and it feels like a credit card after holding the case.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.