Heading to the dARk side.

• TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Pulled the trigger tonight on an AR platform, so I’m officially headed to the AR dark side. Ordered one up tonight, so about 2 weeks and I should have a range report ready.

I hit a sale, so the optic is alread down on my work bench. Nikon P223 with the BDC 600 reticle and an M223 mount. Really a nice system, I already like the M223 mount.

It’ll be really interesting to bring a semi-auto into the varmint rifle fold. The bar is set pretty high accuracy wise, so I hope the platform doesn’t disappoint.

At least this will give me something to do in the off season to keep me off the streets. Nothing like dialing in a new rifle and loads.

Grouse

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

Did you order that Mossberg that you were leaning towards a while back?

Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

Congrats! You should have a lot of fun and enjoy shooting that platform. I find they are comfortable to shoot and just tons of fun. It helps too that the ammo prices have Ben coming down.

Can’t wait to hear your follow up reports.
    Dave

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Did you order that Mossberg that you were leaning towards a while back?

Yep. Ordered a Mossberg MMR Hunter with a 20 inch barrel in Mossy Oak Brush camo.

I’m not really interested in short barrel carbines, what I want is a relatively lightweight AR for varmints and the occasional coyote stand.

The Mossberg seemed to be a good compromise. The reviews are good and accuracy-wise it should shoot right at an inch with good ammo and a decent trigger. The next-best option in a simialr configureation was over $350 more.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. The way things are shaping up, the AR is the 1906 Springfield of the modern era. It should be fun putting one together and shooting it. Bonus points if it cuts the mustard on the accuracy front.

As one person has already said to me, “You can’t lose on this. An AR is MUCH better than a bolt action. I managed to miss one coyote 9 times with my AR. I could have NEVER accomplished that with a bolt action.”

Grouse

Fisherpaul
    Participant

Grouse I can Message my little bro and see what he’s loading now a days for AR rounds to get you going. HE’s an AR nut and has some great loads for it.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Grouse I can Message my little bro and see what he’s loading now a days for AR rounds to get you going. HE’s an AR nut and has some great loads for it.

Thanks, Paul. I’d be interested to know what he’s running.

Specifically, I’ve also wondered about the OAL. Is the standard max really the max?

I’m trying my “standard” varmint components first. I’m trying to limit the number of different types of bullets and powders I’m using for varmint shooting because of the hassle factor. I’d like to get to the point where I can just buy tens of thousands of one bullet and 10 pounds of one powder rather than 500 of this, and 300 of that, and 4 pounds of this powder, and 3 pounds of that powder, etc, etc. It was just getting too stupid and I was spending more time shopping than I was shooting even when supplies were readily available.

I loaded up test batches of the following last night:

– 50 grain Z-Max (Yes, I really found some. No, really.)
    – 50 grain V-Max
    – 53 grain V-Max
    – El Cheapo 45 grain HP (you never know)
    – El Cheapo 55 grain FMJ (target load only, not a hunting candidate)

I used Varget, 4895, and XBR, but I’m also going to load up some other powders that I have like 748 and maybe the last of my Benchmark.

Always interest to know what others are using.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

As one person has already said to me, “You can’t lose on this. An AR is MUCH better than a bolt action. I managed to miss one coyote 9 times with my AR. I could have NEVER accomplished that with a bolt action.”

Grouse

This is awesome!!

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

You know it makes sense, Kooty. I mean, up until now, I’ve been limited to missing 2-3 times with a bolt gun. No more! It’s kind of like taking the plug out of my shotgun for pheasants. In theory, it’s a good idea. In reality, it usually just allows me to miss twice more.

In all seriousness, the main “reason” for an AR is I just think they would be terrific for varmints. Constantly loading/reloading mags that hold 5 shots gets a little tiresome as does constantly “bumping” the scope picture off every time the action has to be cycled. The AR, I hope, will provide a little break.

Can’t wait to hit the range with the new rifle.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hence the reason I’m looking for 10 round magazines for my Savage. Had one made, it didn’t fit my Boyds worth a hoot. I tried modifying it and like a bull in a china closet I broke it.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

All the loads we have been doing in the AR-223 format has been 50gr V-Max over Varget or Benchmark – mostly Varget. Only OAL issues we have had is the cycling sop watch your length. The few AR’s that I am loading for all seem to like that .030 to .070 jump

Tom P.
    Participant
    Whitehall Wi.

I have multiple 223s and what has worked for me across the board is Hornadys 55 grain SP over 25.5 grains of TAC. Not the fastest but right on for accuracy. OAL being I shoot different .223s 2.60 has worked well for me.

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

There is no dARk side. Just a whole lot of peeps exercising their 2nd Amendment Rights. Not really a big thing. That bullets does nothing special when it leaves the barrel of an AR vs any other platform. Glad you are giving it a try though. Be safe and enjoy. I do NOT in any way, shape, or form mean to infer that Our Second Amendment Right or any other Right is no big deal. They are! Stand and Fight! Join the NRA. Life Member here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.