HB 597ci HD DI/ Ice fishing

• TJ
    Hammond, WI

Hey guys,
    I have a 597ci HD DI imaging unit and recently purchased the XI 9 20 ice transducer in an attempt to make it an all season unit. When I power on, the unit says “no transducer connected.” I called humminbird and the woman I talked to told me I had to buy the DI ducer for another $150.00 That doesn’t seem right. Anyone else had success using the 597 down imaging unit rather than the 597ci unit. Any help appreciated. Thanks

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Ok if you don’t have a paperback manual call humminbird and request one for a guide under your setting do you have ice fishing mode it needs to be turned on for ducer to work I have same unit plan on doing same as you have under ice fishing mode and flasher mode should be able to adjust sensitivity let me know if this works

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Not sure if anyone cares but I got it figured out…no thanks to customer support. After some digging online, you simply have to select “normal” operating mode to prevent the unit from going into the default simulation mode. The unit doesn’t recognize the ice transducer becuase it doesn’t have a temp sensor in it but the ducer does work. Tried it this morning and everything worked – GPS, Flasher screen, 2-D sonar. If u have this unit, a PC-11 power cable and XI 9 20 ice transducer will get you one sweet ice fishing unit!

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Does anyone know if you buy the humminbird PTC U NB soft-case, does it come with a power cord, or does this need to be purchased seperately? Also wonder if the top of the soft case will interfere with GPS reception since the antena is internal. Thinking of picking one of these up before me trip to LOW next week.

reddog

All you get is the case. You need to have a power cord, transducer and battery.

The case will not interfere with the reception.

Do you have an ice ducer already?

teamcrappie
    Palo,IA

I have the 597ciHD and want to use it to only locate my waypoints while ice fishing. Do I only need a power cord and if so can I get away with a small battery like we use for our ice flashers?

jch47805

Thanks for the post ,can you sent me a pics of your setup, I seen a battery and charger on amazon, looked like a Vexilar battery but different model , wondering if a velixax mounting system would work for the HB 597 Ci hd di
    I seen on you tube that it had a flasher screen but that’s coming from you tube , and I think HB custom service is below avg already , this guy I talked to had to keep asking some one else for answers and finally I told him let me talk to the guy with the answer , I just hung up and called back later , you could tell he was a non fishermen,, I sold my FL-18 and bought my 597 Ci hd di and wanting to convert it to ice machine as well
    Thanks

reddog

If it has a flasher screen, it will be in the views tab. There is a option to have it hidden or visible in the menu, so if it is hidden, it wont show up in the views, until you switch it to visible.

inskom

I’d like to bring this back up for confirmation before I purchase the XI 9 20 Ice Ducer.
    Ocean, you have a 597ci HD DI unit correct? And you said you were able to get the Ice Ducer to work with it?

This is the email reply I received from Humminbird, “We do apologize for any inconvenience but the ICE transducer is only compatible to the Dual Beam only systems. This will NOT be compatible to a Down Imaging systems such as the 788ci HD DI. The manual does cover multiple units and this fact was left out of the description of the transducer.”

I have a 788ci HD DI and would love to be able to use it ice fishing. From your posts it sounds like I can, I just have to select “Normal” operating mode at the startup screen to prevent it from going into “Simulation” mode.

Could anyone confirm or comment on this? THANKS!

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

I do not yet have the ice ducer but first you will need to be in normal operation. Than go into menu to the views section and make sure that circular flasher view is visible . Than go to the sonar section of the menu down at the bottom turn the ice fishing mode on. With the ice ducer I do not believe the 3d down imaging will work but everything else should. I have been thinking about getting the ice ducer but I would only use it for the gps , I am to fond of my lx-5. It would be Nice to see what the set up looks like with the battery and case.

sawillems

I hope someone on here can help me out. I have the 597ci HD DI unit and I bought the XI 9 20 ice ducer, power cable, etc to try to get this working for hard water fishing last year. It doesn’t work properly from what I can tell .
    I understand to select ‘Normal’ at boot up when it says it does not sense a transducer connected. However the unit doesn’t read the bottom properly . It will read it for a second or so and then read ~ 67 feet or something like this. I have messed with the sensitvity and other options in the menu, but it doesn’t consistently work.
    looking at the Humminbird website it now doesn’t show the ducer as an accessory for this unit….
    http://store.humminbird.com/products/410761/597ci_HD_DI_Combo

http://store.humminbird.com/products/314001/XI_9_20

So, maybe it doesn’t wotk with the DI units???? If anybody has gotten this to work with DI please let us know!!! Thanks

Douger

Quote:

I’d like to bring this back up for confirmation before I purchase the XI 9 20 Ice Ducer.
    Ocean, you have a 597ci HD DI unit correct? And you said you were able to get the Ice Ducer to work with it?

This is the email reply I received from Humminbird, “We do apologize for any inconvenience but the ICE transducer is only compatible to the Dual Beam only systems. This will NOT be compatible to a Down Imaging systems such as the 788ci HD DI. The manual does cover multiple units and this fact was left out of the description of the transducer.”

I have a 788ci HD DI and would love to be able to use it ice fishing. From your posts it sounds like I can, I just have to select “Normal” operating mode at the startup screen to prevent it from going into “Simulation” mode.

Could anyone confirm or comment on this? THANKS!

CamoHunter, did you get the 788ci HD DI issue figured out. I am looking at purchasing a 788 for boat and ice, thanks.

inskom

Douger, I ended up buying a 788ci HD without down imaging. Just too many little issues that I wasn’t comfortable with using an iceducer on a down imaging unit. Comments from humminbird said the iceducer could cause damage to the DI unit. And upon startup, the DI unit would not recognize the transducer so you’d have to manually make it go into normal mode each time you turned it on. 2 issues that were enough to convince me to just get the 788ci HD, even though I already had a 788ci HD DI. I just won’t used the 788ci HD DI for ice fishing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.