Grand Marais Shore Fishing

• deertracker

We are headed to Grand Marais in a few weeks for our annual family camping trip. We stay at the municipal campground. Every year I think I should bring a rod and cast from the break water. Would I catch anything or would I be wasting my time? Not sure how deep it gets. I would love to do a charter with my FIL and I but it is never in the budget.
    DT

deertracker

Also, if anyone knows how the blueberry crop is this year. We like to go picking then have fresh blueberry muffins and pancakes the next morning.
    DT

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I can’t say I’ve tried it and had success, but I can say you can catch salmon and lakers close to shore especially very early in the morning. With the cooler water this year, some could still be near or at the surface.

Get yourself a few crocodile spoons. They are the ultimate casting spoon. I’d recommend bright orange or yellow for the early morning. Retrieve near the surface and sometimes let it drop to the bottom to retrieve.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

we were up there 2 weeks ago and did not see any blueberries. this could be that they were already picked, or not ready to be picked because of the late spring. ask around when you get up there, the locals will let you know

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

Surface temps near shore are still a month behind normal I’m guessing so may still be able to catch something near-shore around the harbor. Better bet would be to run back down 61 and hit the mouth of the Cascade around dawn or dusk. Not sure of your timing, but if you are up there the week of the 10th-16th I will be fishing out of GM as often as the weather allows and depending on some friends’ plans, may be fishing solo the later part of that week. If that is the case, could easily accommodate some company in the boat-if you want to get out on the lake for a morning/evening.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If that is the case, could easily accommodate some company in the boat-if you want to get out on the lake for a morning/evening.

What a great offer.

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

What a great offer.

Six lines is always better than two! Besides, if the fishing is slow on a given morning, I’m usually out of stuff to talk to myself about by 7:45. ;-)

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Blue berries will be long gone. That’s a July fruit for the most part. None left by my cabin in NE Wi. They were on two weeks ago.

tso
    Coon Rapids,MN

Hears to you on generous offer!

deertracker

@mleslie

That is an amazing offer. I will double check our dates but believe we will be up there on the 14th. I will send you a message when I get back from the deer shack.
    DT

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

@mleslie

PM sent your way

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

Also, if anyone knows how the blueberry crop is this year. We like to go picking then have fresh blueberry muffins and pancakes the next morning.
    DT

Blueberries are in great shape right now so think your breakfasts are lookin’ good!

I still have to find the fish, however. Only made it out once yet though for a couple of hours Sunday afternoon and only managed one Laker. Wife wasn’t too keen on dodging showers all day today so picked a couple pints of raspberries and blueberries between the dark clouds instead of taking the boat out. Back at the fish tomorrow though!

deertracker

A few weeks ago @mleslie put out a very generous offer to take my fil and I out on Superior while we were on vacation in Grand Marais. We managed to meet saturday morning. We ended the morning with 2 lake trout and 2 salmon. My first of both species. I will post some pictures when I get back home and off my camera. Offers like this make this an awesome site with awesome members. He worked hard moving and switching baits for this rookie and wouldn’t reel in a fish even when it was his turn. Thanks again. -)
    DT

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

My pleasure! Wish we had found you a couple more fish, but glad you both got to experience your first Lake Superior Lake Trout and Chinook. Was great company and enjoyed talking some fishing and hockey with you and the Tracker-in-law. Like you said, it is interesting how forums/web communities each develop their own character & personalities over the years. Sounds like your father played a large part in building the foundation for the great community that I’ve discovered here in the short year I’ve been a member.

Along those lines, I also got a chance to trade texts/reports and radio chatter with @mark-bruzek and fished essentially alongside him one day last week out of Tac Harbor. Unfortunately, a bit slower of a morning for both of us that particular day, but nice to cover a bit more water than either of us could have done alone!

Hope you guys enjoyed the rest of your vacation! If (when) you and/or Dave are ever back up in that neck of the woods, shoot me a note and if our schedules coincide, you guys are welcome back out anytime!

At your convenience, shoot me those pics too, when you get home and have a chance to d/l them -)

While I’m at it, here’s a few of of my own pics from last Weds. Was the perfect day on the North Shore with my wife: On the big lake for a few hours at dawn (7/8 with 5 Chinook and 2 lakers) and picked 4 pints of blueberries at dusk.

-ML

PS. Did Dave find those blueberries?

Tac Harbor 8/13/14

deertracker

Here are a few pics. These are my first lake trout and salmon. -)

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0024.jpg

deertracker

Another

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0014.jpg

deertracker

Father in-law

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0022.jpg

deertracker

Action Shot

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0017.jpg

deertracker

Always be aware of pirates… -)

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0042.jpg

Tom Bjornstad

Hi guys,

I am a new member and am enjoying reading some informative threads on Grand Marais/ North Shore fishing. I am an avid walleye fisherman from Lake Okoboji, IA and I am heading to Grand Marais for the first time for a week long trip (9/30-10/6) with the wife and kid. I will certainly have some time to do some fishing. Any tips or suggestions? Open for any advice. Don’t need any hotspots just general information.

Thanks,

Tom

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

Greetings Tom. You bringing your boat up and looking to get after some walleye/smallmouth, or were you more looking for info on fishing the big lake or local rivers/streams?

Inland stream fishing for trout won’t really be an option as the season closes on 9/30, but still some good options in the very lower sections of Superior tributary streams and the big lake in general. (Or inland lakes if that’s more what you’re looking to do).

Can’t write a more helpful response yet tonight, but will shoot you a PM first thing in the morning with some possible options for you, depending on what type of fishing you were looking to do.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.