Google earth and navionics

• tripjorgen
    NESD

Just wondering if anybody noticed how accurate google earths GPS coordinates are. I don’t have a regular GPS but I do have the navionics app. The coordinates are a different type on google earth then the navionics app. Just wonder if anybody could help clarify the different types of coordinates or something. On google earth you can look at old maps of areas. For example I’m looking a bitter lake in NESD back in 1991. It shows a lot of good structures that I want to fish but can’t seem to figure out the coordinates.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

PM Sent

inskom

You can adjust the preferences/settings to make google earth coordinates appear in whichever format you want.

Coordinates can appear as the following:
    Decimal degrees (XX.XXXX*)
    Degrees Minutes Seconds (XX* XX’XXX”)
    Degrees decimal minutes (XX* XX.XXX’)
    UTM

In google earth, go to Tools -> Options, and under the 3D tab, you can select how you want coordinate to appear.

tripjorgen
    NESD

Thanks all. I got everything to match up.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I have one more questions. How accurrate are the maps? I marked a spot while fishing. My flasher said we were in 20FOW but my map shows us in like 10. I think the map and our mark was off by maybe 100 feet.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I have one more questions. How accurrate are the maps? I marked a spot while fishing. My flasher said we were in 20FOW but my map shows us in like 10. I think the map and our mark was off by maybe 100 feet.

For the most part pretty accurate, I was on Prior lake and it was spot on and some it may not be. If you find mapping that is perfect let me know

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.