Got it done in SD

• sktrwx2200
    Participant

Was out in Central South Dakota for the Opening weekend. We had beautiful weather compared to the last 10 days. Fresh off my Missouri rifle hunt less than 4 days prior, I knew my rifle was on a hot streak. I rolled in late Friday night because I had to jam in 10 hours of work before I departed. So I went out in to the darkness blind, having not been out there in a Month. But I wasnt too worried, with all of the crops down , it leaves the deer on a handful of places to hold up. Well it didnt take long to realize what was going on. I took up my usual position on a rock pile. And when the lights came on, the deer were all over, and rutting hard. There were bucks almost ever where you looked. I packed a backpack full of calls and scents in case i needed to lure something out of the sloughs or trees, but quickly realized I wouldnt be needing that bag of tricks, I simply would need to wait. The morning passed and I saw 6 bucks. 5 young bucks waiting around for the big boys to slip up, and one nice mature buck running does at about 550 yds. I was fun to watch him chase off the young bucks and then book it back onto the does trail.

Well I climbed back in to the truck at about 945, and went over to another chunk of ground and saw 4 more bucks out in the crp field cruising around with the noses to the ground. I knew I was sitting pretty good with the bucks acting like this there must be a few hot does on the property.

We pheasant hunted all afternoon in another location and got our birds by 230 as we listen to the GOPHERS take down NEBRASKA. Gotta love XM radio.

For the evening I sat atop of stack of hay over by where I last saw the big buck that morning. I didnt have to wait long as a nice doe trotted out of the trees at 200 yds. Followed by another doe dashing out with a panicked look to her. Any doe with a panicked run is good news to me. And I knew what would be next, so I got ready propped my 30-06 up on the bale.

Out he came. The rifle dropped him in his tracks and he didn’t flinch. HUGE bodied deer. Great mass to him. wide and tall. Just lacks brow tines. But I was really happy to take a fully mature buck like that.

Two great bucks, two different states in 7 days. Whirlwind week for me. Its been a grind.

Last picture is the buck I helped the Landowners kid take on Sunday morning. It was fun to see the excitement in someone else.

Attachments:
    1. miller3.jpg

2. claytebuck.jpg

3. miller1.jpg

4. miller2.jpg

reddog
    Participant

Great buck! Im assuming east river, since it was opener. If I can ask, how were you able to secure a East river buck tag? Been trying a long time and can never get thru the drawing system.
    They have some amazing bucks out there.

sktrwx2200
    Participant

Reddog,
    I Live out here. They save all the good tags for residents only. lol

reddog
    Participant

Reddog,

Ahh, I understand now. Landowner or lottery recipient?

The Gopher/Huskers comment thru me for the loop. I wouldve thought you wouldve commented on the SDSU/USD as a resident. One of the teams forgot to show up for the “Showdown Series”.

The QB for SDSU is a nephew of a friend on mine

There are lots of deer in SD that dont even know it deer season, it seems to me..

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats on another beautiful deer. I’m waiting for permission to post some pics I received over the weekend. Lots of good bucks falling east river.

sktrwx2200
    Participant

Reddog,
    I played football for the U of Minnesota , and I lived there for 4 years after I was done. So I kinda call both places home. But I moved back to SD a few years ago.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sktrwx2100 wrote:</div>
    Reddog,

Ahh, I understand now. Landowner or lottery recipient?

The Gopher/Huskers comment thru me for the loop. I wouldve thought you wouldve commented on the SDSU/USD as a resident. One of the teams forgot to show up for the “Showdown Series”.

The QB for SDSU is a nephew of a friend on mine

There are lots of deer in SD that dont even know it deer season, it seems to me..

I’m from SD the deer numbers aren’t as great as it seems EHD hit us hard but guys willing to put in time can find some nice bucks

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Welcome to the hunting side Cauy. What part of the state you from?

My family and friends to the south of me definitely saw a large hit from EHD two falls ago. My cousin found 40+ deer dead on the pheasant opener in 2013.

Participant

East huron area

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.