Going Out West??

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

So, who is all going out west for a big game hunt this fall? Where? What?

I didn’t draw my Montana tag so I’m only going as far as central SD. Found a new hunt I’m going to start getting preference for next year though. Colorado moose. I have a score to settle from 2007 with the Mn moose. Super tough to draw a tag, but overall the numbers are up and the success rates are off the charts out there.

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

WY for elk in Sept.

castle-rock-clown

I’ll be in the black hills and Sturgis next week hunting bottles of beer and scantily clad women from the seat of my road glide, no permit required. But based on previous trips there are tons of deer that love to cross the road at the most inopportune times that you guys are more than welcome to exercise some heard control on.

kooty
    Keymaster

Have fun at the Rally.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I’ll be headed out to the ND Badlands in search of Whitetails Labor Day Weekend. Hopefully make it out there at least twice this season but I’m mostly excited about SoDak. Pretty picturesque, right on the Missouri River, a lot of private land to hunt and a lot of big deer!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I couldn’t make it work schedule-wise, but hopefully next year is the year for a western Pronghorn hunt.

I’m suffering from too many sporting opportunities and too little time. This year’s rain-soaked p-dog trip ate up most of a week, now there’s a Canada fishing trip, and I’d also like to actually get in some deer hunting on my home court for once!

My eldest son (almost 6) is suddenly very keen to try shooting a bow. Great! His mum will never forgive me if he likes it because then the next thing will be that dad will have to take it up. That should provide some entertainment, last time I shot a bow was…well…it’s been a little while.

sktrwx2200

NW Colorado, archery elk, second week of September. Public Land. Cant wait. Favorite hunt of the year.

kooty
    Keymaster

Sktr, what class of animals does that area provide you guys. Bulls? If so, what caliber?

I need to find an over the counter unit in Colorado to fill the void on years when I’m building points in other states. I love elk meat so even cow tags would satisfy me. Archery only though.

cboutdoors
    Rochester,MN

Wyoming-Mule Deer and Pronghorn(Doe)

sktrwx2200

Kooty
    We only go strictly archery for Bulls out there. Although the either sex tag is available. We found it alot harder to get cows in bow range than bulls. We have been seeing really nice bulls out there. I would say most herd bulls go anywhere from 315-350. With on occasion 350′ plus. There are alot of satellites running around that are non legal, so you have to be careful and study the animal pretty good. Every year we get multiple in bow range, whether we get it done every-time or not…that is a different story.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Not headed west, but rather north for Moose ! Sort of…. my boss and a couple other guys are going for Moose in late sept, up where I go bear hunting in N. Manitoba. They asked me to go with to help packout or whatever I need to do … I JUMPED at the opportunity. This is a $10K hunt, so to get to go and help, is a treat. Someday when I am rich, I will go again and actually have a tag !!!! )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This might be the year I head west for a multi-species bird hunt. Been talking about it for years.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Headed to CO in September for archery elk. Very excited because it has been too many years since I have been out there. Over the counter tag while we continue to build points.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Heading to Montana in November for Mule Deer hunt, been going for over 40 years now. Our group of six leases hunting rights on a 37 square mile ranch. This is actually cheaper then the taxes on a 40 back in Wisconsin. We see a average of 15 too 20 bucks each day and only shoot 150″ or better. My best over the years is a 172″ whitetail and 170″ mule deer. Others in our group have mule deer in 180’s. We also go on a Antelope hunt most years (tags are harder to get) and relax at mid day with shooting praire dogs. Can’t wait to go.

kooty
    Keymaster

Sounds like a great hunt Wayne!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I just got back from Montana. We saw some real dandy mulies up in the mountains. My son lives there so some day I have to head out there and hunt with him.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.