Fuse issue with truck

• Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Truck in question is a 2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali. The 15a fuse for the lighting panel is melting a lot. Sometimes it’ll last a few weeks, or tonight it lasted a few minutes. I know on some vehicles the tail lights are tied in with this circuit, but not the case it seems on this one. So, the question is, where do I start to try to track this problem down? I’m kinda dreading it, hoping there’s an easy fix somewhere. Thanks–

weldon
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

Did a search of the internet for your symptom…. found the below on a forum.

===================================

Googled “fuse TBC 2A” and found this little gem in an Escalade forum:
    —————-
    Subject: IPC Lighting Inoperative TBC 2A Fuse Open – keywords cluster dim instrument light panel #PIT4365 – (04/24/2007)

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2006 GMC, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

2003-2007 Chevrolet SIlverado Classic

2003-2007 GMC Serria Classic

—————————————————————-

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Some customer may bring in their vehicle stating that the Instrument Panel Dimming is inoperative. After initial inspection, you may notice the TBC 2A fuse that is located in the left IP fuseblock is blown.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    If you experience this concern and can not isolate the source of the concern, inspect the wiring coming out of the IP relay block for a short to ground. Reports from the field have found issues with harness pictured below and the concern can usually be located 8 inches below the IP relay block.

(See Photo Below) The arrow shows where the harness rubs on the IP relay block support bracket near the holding clip. Remove the harness from the clip and inspect carefully. Repair as needed and insulate the edge to prevent a repeat occurrence.

MORE INFO gm-trucks.com – CREDIT GOES TO – “98 Z71 SLT”

Just performed a bulletin search. You can fix the problem yourself at home.

Left instrument panel fuse block. CAREFULLY trace the wiring harness from the bottom of the fuse block to a clip. In those 8 inches of harness, GM states they are finding short-to-grounds, which obviously will pop fuses.

So, you have a wire rubbing a clip, causing a short. Check that harness and fix it.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Hmmmmm….sounds fun. I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to see under the steering column and whatnot, but it’ll be a good place to start I suppose. I’m thinking it’s gotta be a short of some sort mentioned above as I actually heard it go tonight, and it was loud, like a short. No problems with my dimming though, it’s working fine.
    Very curious to know what else is on the same circuit as it’s a 15 amp and not a 2.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Very curious to know what else is on the same circuit as it’s a 15 amp and not a 2.

Does your book call for a 15 amp fuse? That sounds like too large a fuse to protect a lighting panel.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Yup, the schematic calls for a 15a.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.