Fun start to fall fishing in South Dakota

• Andy Fiolka
    Participant
    Boise, Idaho

Late September finally brought some cool nights and days out here on the prairie. With cooling water temps and shorter days, the walleye bite is getting pretty good in N/E South Dakota.

Much of my fishing life, I’ve ignored the Glacial Lakes area during open water and instead most of my boat angling was done on the reservoirs of the mighty Missouri river. This is ironic because most of my ice fishing is done up here. Earlier this year, I was able to relocate to my wife’s hometown of Aberdeen, SD. It surely beats the 2 1/2 hour drive up north from Sioux Falls like I was use to. Focusing on my new job up here has limited my time on the water, maybe more than I’m comfortable with. With things winding down for the year, I’ve been able to get out more the past couple weeks.

I’ve also got to spend some time on the water with Quintin B. He and I have known of each other for some time – though mutual friends, but never had the opportunity to fish together. He knows these lakes as well as anybody, so it was a treat to be able to have him jump in the boat with me last Sunday. Here’s to many more trips my friend!

Fish have been relating to shallow, wind blown shorelines and points that have deep water close by. These areas that also contain rock and wood have been money. We have been pitching a variety of crankbaits with much success. Rapala Minnow Raps, X-Raps, and RS Shad Raps have been the best. A follow up pass with a soft swim bait has pulled an extra few fish off these same areas after we’ve covered it thoroughly with the cranks. Fish are starting to feed on small frogs and perch (as evidenced after cleaning some) Boat control is key, as a boat too close to these areas will push them off.

This next week is forcasted to have stable weather so I’m certain the fishing will get even better. As I’m typing this, I’m already planning next weekends fishing plans.

Andy

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

sweet looking fish, heading up in two weeks. Might have to reach out to you for some help as things get closer.

scmelik
    Participant
    South Dakota

Nice fish Andy, keep a peg on them for this winter, I hope to be up that way more.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Way cool to see you two in a boat together! Interesting that they’re eating frogs but it makes sense. There’s a river bite I’ve fished where your avg. large-sized curly tailed grub on a jig dragged along the bottom is dynamite when they really start keying in on frogs. Great to see that crank bite is holding up. Congrats on the great fishing gentlemen, and thanks for sharing!

Joel

Andy Fiolka
    Participant
    Boise, Idaho

The frogs are EVERYWHERE right now. Any roads with water along it are literally greasy from all of the squished frogs. Drive these roads at night and they are bouncing all over in the headlights. It’s more than I can remember seeing in several years.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.