MN Walleye Possesion Limits

• das_bass
    Mound, MN

Quote:

The fact that nobody can show it in writing, bothers me. A simple blurb, no person may possess, either in their bag, daily or otherwise, at any time, no more than 4 walleyes from Lake Mille Lacs….. that right there should be written… rather than obscure laws like “unless noted elsewhere”… why would you even put that in the sentence, unless it actually applied somewhere ???

There are some exceptions to the daily limit being the same as the possetion limit. For example, this quote from the Fishing Regulations handbook:
    “One exception would be the inland limit on yellow perch, which is 20 per day and 40 in possession.”

For Mille Lacs, the regulations say:
    “2010 Mille Lacs Regulations
    (including tributaries to posted boundaries)
    Walleye: Restrictions or changes will be posted at public access sites and on DNR Web site.”

If you go to the DNR Web site, it says:
    “Walleye: Release immediately all walleye 18.0″ through 28.0″; Possession limit is 4, with only one over 28.0”.

Effective Thursday, July 15: Release immediately all walleye 20.0″ through 28.0″; Possession limit is 4, with only one over 28.0″.”

So, although you have to dig a bit to find it, it does explictly state the possession limit for Mille Lacs walleye is 4.

big_g
    Isle, MN

das_bass…. that is exactly what I was looking for where is it exactly ??? I am guilty of not checking at the landings , as I go out of a private harbor. I also know ignorance of the law is no excuse… so that won’t hold up either …

big G

chomps
    Sioux City IA

fish fry at Big G’s he’s also paying for the beer.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

fish fry at Big G’s he’s also paying for the beer.

We have had a few……with walleye, perch, sunfish, crappie (my fav) and a few too…. Jon’s been there too Now I am hungry…

big G

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve really changed the last few years and rarely keep fish. It suprises me this topic is this long and so many on this site are worried about taking home the maximum amount of fish instead of leaning towards catch and release. As a reformed meat hauler I assumed most others were changing their ways too?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I love fish, so does my family. Even if there are fish in the freezer will still buy some salt water fish at the store, and your point is thou exalted one?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I’ve really changed the last few years and rarely keep fish. It suprises me this topic is this long and so many on this site are worried about taking home the maximum amount of fish instead of leaning towards catch and release. As a reformed meat hauler I assumed most others were changing their ways too?

Funny, but the way I read it, most of this thread is about people not wanting to “exceed” the limit & understand the law ? That’s what I am doing and I don’t think their is anything wrong with keeping a limit and eating them… I do think it is wrong to look down on people who follow the laws, because you choose to catch a fish for your enjoyment, release it and it may or may not survive ??? That would be waste to some… Congratulations on turning this into a fishing mortality thread…..again Geez…..

big G

das_bass
    Mound, MN

Quote:

If I fish for fun, I generally fish for bass. They tend to bite in nicer weather, and tend to be a bit easier to find and catch. If I am hankering for a fish-fry, then I turn to walleye. And my wife loves fresh fish, so we usually eat them before they hit the freezer. But there are occasions when I do freeze a few, and it’s good to know what the laws are concerning that.

The current Fishing Regulation booklet is at:
    web page

The DNR website with updated rules is at:
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/millelacs.html

timmy

We eat a lot of fish – almost entirely walleye and winter pike. I will take my legal limit of walleyes each and every time I can – and not a speck of it gets wasted. I abide by the laws and just want to remain legal – while taking fish for the table. I don’t feel wrong or guilty for that, and trust me, there have been one heck of a lot of limits that have crossed the gunnels of my boat.

T

big_g
    Isle, MN

From the DNR…. glad we discussed this

Glen,

The daily and possession limit of Mille Lacs walleyes is 4. If they are in your freezer, they are in your possession. The signs, stickers, and DNR website all refer to the limit as a “possession limit”. This means that if you were in possession of 6 walleye from Mille Lacs in your freezer, you would be over limit. Page 9 of the regulation synopsis states “Daily and possession limits are the same unless otherwise noted. Fish are in possession whether on hand, in cold storage, in transport, or elsewhere.”

I hope this clears up your question.

big G

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Geez guys. I wasnt really aiming at that target. My point was, hell I dont even know now? It certainly wasnt to rile folks up. I’ve gotten very protective of the waters because fishing success is so closely related to pressure and all lakes get it. Some more than others. I certainly dont practice C&R hunting……

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I certainly don’t practice C&R hunting……

That’s a whole different conversation. On a side note, it is a blast. Camera or gun, it’s the stalk and outsmarting game that I enjoy. Pulling the trigger is just an incidental motion in the whole scheme of “hunting success”.

timmy

Quote:

I certainly dont practice C&R hunting……

I do. It is called missing – and I practice it far too often!!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I do. It is called missing – and I practice it far too often!!

That’s how my buddy practices Catch and Release hunting as well.

klang

and that’s the difference between buying a MN or WI license on the Mississippi.

If you have a MN license 6 fish and that’s it.

If you have a WI license (and not from MN) you can have 12 walleye/sauger (if you’ve fished for two days).

Haven’t been to Red Wing fishing for several years. The above quote is from 2010. I was wondering what the rules are now for fishing border waters. Having trouble finding in the regs. It was my understanding that MN and wisc. are the same on daily limit. We use to buy Wisc. license like Brian talked about to keep 2 daily limits. But heard that had changed? From Ia so can buy either state license. Any advantage of one state over the other?
    Thanks for your help!

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I just realised that this topic is from 2010.

deertracker

The Milly possession limit of 4 had to give it away. doah
    DT

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.